• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Can anyone recommend a decent tire pressure gauge?

cyrano138

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for the small, pen-style gauges (or something similarly small), but I'd like one that isn't made of Chinese plastic, if that's possible. Thanks for any help!

I have several pencil type gauges and a digital one. They are all within 1 lb of each other. It pays to spend a little but you don't have to go crazy.

I don't want to spend more than 20 bucks, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had any favorites. I don't mind the ones with a hose and a dial, but I wanted something I could stick in the tool bag because with the helmet in there the nontank is getting pretty crowded.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, guys.

I had Slime brand small digital that was accurate until the battery died. Currently use a Slime long pencil style that is accurate. Over the years I've found the shorty pencil style to be inaccurate but a good long one to be accurate. Surprisingly the digital air pumps at my local gas stations have been dead on.

I'm looking for the small, pen-style gauges (or something similarly small), but I'd like one that isn't made of Chinese plastic, if that's possible. Thanks for any help!

I think you will find that statement somewhat not too politically correct. Chinese Plastics?
It is almost impossible to buy something (small and inexpensive) which is NOT Made in China.
Many decades ago, westerners also called Japanese products crap, and then came in Sony and Toyotas.

To answer your question: I think you have to look really hard for some "old" made-in-germany stuff.

I think you will find that statement somewhat not too politically correct. Chinese Plastics?
It is almost impossible to buy something (small and inexpensive) which is NOT Made in China.
Many decades ago, westerners also called Japanese products crap, and then came in Sony and Toyotas.

Yep, and when it quit being the case, people quit saying it. I used to think that "Cheap Japanese" was one word. The interiors ratted out in early Hyundai cars as well because of inferior materials. Not so much any more. A Kioti tractor was not a Kubota for the same reason. The materials sourced out of China, whether metals or plastics, are still generally inferior. I had some sophisticated plastic injection molds made by a very competent modern shop in China but I required them to source Uddeholm steel from Sweden. Most of their machining equipment was from Germany and the US.

Back on topic, for pencil type gauges I have had good luck with Victor plated brass gauges. I buy several and make sure they read the same as my Accu-gauge standard. If not, I toss them. I re-check them every six months to make sure they are still in spec. They get dinged and dropped over time and it affects their accuracy. I suspect they also just get old and undependable like me.

http://www.bellautomotive.com/Deluxe-Chrome-Tire-Gauge-p/22-5-00894-8.htm

Last edited:
Kind of a weird moralizing hijack, Happy.

No offense, but I don't come to this forum for advice about international trade or consumer ethics.

When I say 'no offense', I honestly mean it; I would just rather stick to the subject at hand and leave the peripheral discussions for another thread.

Last edited:
Sure...sorry for going off topic. The "China plastics" started to raise my eyebrows.
I did say it is not easy to get a product which is not "Made in China". That was my point.
Second point was: many products are improving in China already, soon they will on par with the Swedish or German engineering levels.
Third: Hyundai's are from Korea. Not Japan.

I always tell my wife and friends to quit complaining about China products. If they were so bad, then stop buying them and let them go bust.
But it seems cheap things are always welcome by people.

How many parts in our NCX is from China? The plastics? The iron? The cables?
I don't think every single part is from Japan or Germany or Sweden. Any idea? There I go again, offtopic. Ignore me.

:D

Back