• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

CandyStripes: First Ride

CandyStripes327

Reaction score
www.bigheadzracing.com
So... I bought the bike solely on MPG. I only rode her for the first time this morning on my way to work... First reaction; Nimble. I would have expected her to be a little less agile for the upright position and height, but the low center of gravity definitely does the chassis well.

I am definitely not a fan of the play in the throttle and I will be adjusting that when I get home.

I accidentally red-lined it once because 1. I can't hear the motor at speed with earplugs (a positive) and 2. 6500RPM comes up quick. It'll take some adjusting but nothing terrible.

The suspension is really soft... Kinda wish there was some adjust-ability in it... but that's a battle for a different day.

I am definitely not used to the one caliper... brakes seemed a little soft. Coming from twin calipers I am used to a lot more initial bite. Something I will need to get used to; ...might even help with my racing since I tend to over brake. ...Or it will put me on my azz, one of the two.

Over all, I am pleased with the purchase and look forward to making a road warrior out of it.

I already ordered a taller windscreen & Service Manual.

Planning on a topcase sooner rather than later... Any recommendations on bracketry and luggage? I was thinking SW-MOTECH and either a GIVI or CooCase. I definitely want provisions for side-bags, but not in a rush to get them yet.

I definitely want an engine guard and probably some additional lights and if I ever do trail riding I will want a skidplate. I am thinking about the Hepco & Becker Guard but haven't looked at skidplates as I am not thinking about doing any trails in the near future.

Recommendations welcome.

Good to hear. I would say try it's handing with a full tank of gas to see if the nimble factor changes.

We should probably do a ride out in the canyons to get a real feel for it......or if you REALLY want to...take it to a trac kday (PLEASE don't race it). (Then again, knowing her...)

We can address the softness issue on the forks by installing Racetech Gold Valve Emulators on them. We may need to call Terry from Racetech and find out the recommended oil weight, air gap, color springs on emulators, turns in on emulators, how many holes to drill in the damper rod, and how big of holes on the damper rod.

I have an idea regarding the rear shock...I'm hoping it will work :eek:

Last edited:
I already ordered a taller windscreen & Service Manual.

Planning on a topcase sooner rather than later... Any recommendations on bracketry and luggage? I was thinking SW-MOTECH and either a GIVI or CooCase. I definitely want provisions for side-bags, but not in a rush to get them yet.

I definitely want an engine guard and probably some additional lights and if I ever do trail riding I will want a skidplate. I am thinking about the Hepco & Becker Guard but haven't looked at skidplates as I am not thinking about doing any trails in the near future.

Recommendations welcome.

If you want a skid plate, wait for this winter when HONDABIKEPRO gets off his bike and back into the shop and starts fabricating again. Its a few more dollars than the H&B but worth every penny. Here is his plate on my bike - http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/1187-nc700-skid-plate-11.html#post28627

Here is the post I was really looking for: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/1187-nc700-skid-plate-8.html#post25225

As far as luggage is concerned, I went with the Honda Top box but to do it again, I would probably go with Givi cases - just a better value and if you ever sell the bike the cases can move to the new bike.

Last edited:
I already ordered a taller windscreen ....
If you haven't discovered it yet, there is a lot of discussion on this forum on the relative merits of the various brands of taller windscreens. Someone even has a poll going. The consensus is, if you can stand the price and the looks, MadStad is the one to buy.

So. . .
What did you order?

And. . .
Once you have it installed you'll have to contribute your opinion to one of the threads.

I went with the SW-Motech rack since I could add-on side case mounts later and SW seemed to have the most options for brands and styles of luggage they support. I got a Bestem top case with brake/tail LEDs for $109 thinking I’d use it until I decided on what pricier brand of luggage to use but I’ve been happy with the Bestem so I’ll stay with it and add some pricy side bags later. For crash bars I went with SW-Motech. Easy to install and I liked that they have a cross bar tying the sides together. Hondabikepro also makes a version of his skid plate that takes into account the SW cross bar.

I have a Givi topcase on an SW Motech rack. The topcase was a hand-me-down from my dad, and when I went looking for racks to mount it the SW Motech was all I could find in stock. It all works well together. Since I can carry all my tools and assorted junk for work between the trunk and the frunk, I didn't feel I needed to spend the bucks for hard side cases. Picked up some Firstgear softbags for my long trips.
The lighting is something I still need to address, especially taking it home up the windy mountain roads.
Also looking at Racetech for some suspension work. The stock set up didn't bother me at first, but now that it's over 16k miles, I'm starting to feel more of the lumps and bumps. From what I've read on here people who've done it like the results.

Also looking at Racetech for some suspension work. The stock set up didn't bother me at first, but now that it's over 16k miles, I'm starting to feel more of the lumps and bumps. From what I've read on here people who've done it like the results.

Have you don't a fork oil change?

+1 on Racetech; when I need to do my first fork oil change I am going to get emulators for certain. I am a sponsored rider for Racetech and have already spent gobs of money on their products with much success.

Stripes, welcome! I too come from a sportbike backround. While I never really "raced" I have done many-a-track days on my F4i and SV650S. The rear suspension is woefully undersprung. I'm 200 lbs and have all three Honda hard cases and have my pre-load set to max and I BEARLY make the appropriate sag setting. I find it is adequate the way it is. I may some day try to find a stock sportbike take-off and fit onto the NC. I'm fine with the front right now so I'm not touching it at the moment. The brakes are woeful compared to any sportbike. Eventually mine with get braided lines and Sintered DoubleH pads.

As for one poster stating the Madstad windshield is the consensus.....I disagree....I will say the majority in that poll chose Madstad but consensus as a forum?....No I chose Cee Baileys and many other chose Puig and many such as yourself chose Zero Gravity.

I really like the NC handling too. Its very wierd to not be in a racebike position yet feel so confident in the twisties. I feel like this bike will go anywhere and holds a line fantastic. For the money its a capable and extremely veritable bike.

Once again, Welcome!

Sounds to me like you need to change the fork oil because it's sheered. Dave Moss (who is is a world renown suspension guru) actually recommends changing fork oil after every race weekend. I actually change out my fork oil on my race bike at least once within a race season. If I can I try to do it after every 6 track weekends regardless if it's race or trackday weekend).

IMO the fork oil is one of the most neglected services that should also be done more frequently. Since the NC700 forks are 41mm (and I have the fork seal driver for it). Maybe one day when it's time Sofia and I will make a how-to thread on how to change fork oil and seals.

As for one poster stating the Madstad windshield is the consensus.....I disagree....I will say the majority in that poll chose Madstad but consensus as a forum?....No I chose Cee Baileys and many other chose Puig and many such as yourself chose Zero Gravity.
That was me. Yep, there are folks such as yourself who tried a MadStad and went in another direction. Yep, there proponents of the other brands who are intensely loyal. Yep, maybe there is no such thing as consensus here, only a majority of those weighing in. (I don't recall the number folks on this forum but without running the numbers I'd guess those who have weighed in constitute far less than 1% which in and of itself may be deceiving as who knows how many have bothered to change their windscreen.)

I'm new to this whole mod thing and being a cheap, er, frugal guy, I'm looking for data points as laying out anywhere from $150-ish - $300-ish for something that I should have known better (e.g., perhaps the taller Honda screen, although I'd guess there are people perfectly happy with those, as well) before buying is not something I relish. And it's not like I can go to the local shops and see many of the products being discussed lined up on the shelf to choose from.

In the end, though, that's what is so great about this forum. One (or several) can generate a fair bit of data by asking a simple question or making a statement. Anyone who has an interest can weigh in or just watch it go by, then make up their own mind by whatever criteria they deem appropriate. (Flipping a coin has been known to work. :))

IMO the fork oil is one of the most neglected services that should also be done more frequently. Since the NC700 forks are 41mm (and I have the fork seal driver for it). Maybe one day when it's time Sofia and I will make a how-to thread on how to change fork oil and seals.
You're gonna have to translate that into miles. As far as I see, the owner's manual says to inspect the suspension every 8k. Doesn't seem to give any recommendations for replacing the oil. So...8, 12, or 16k...feel free anybody to jump in on this one. I know diddly about suspensions.

You're gonna have to translate that into miles. As far as I see, the owner's manual says to inspect the suspension every 8k. Doesn't seem to give any recommendations for replacing the oil. So...8, 12, or 16k...feel free anybody to jump in on this one. I know diddly about suspensions.

Generally I've never noticed fork oil "wearing out" but I will say that tires definitely get hard over time. A rough ride could certainly be caused simply by an old tire.

Oh, yeah. My tires don't have the chance to get old. I've had the bike for almost 7 months and am on my 2nd front and soon my 3rd rear. But maybe the new front is just feeling different from the old... but I think it's the suspension.

I want to say that I have heard the number 10,000mi for forks... but I don't remember.

I usually try to equate things in terms of oil changes. On the race bikes we do oil every month. Every other gets a new filter, every third gets a coolant and brake fluid flush.... etc.

I have been really bad about fork oil on my racebike because for the longest time we didn't have the tools to do inverted forks. Matt does his own forks because they are standard like the NC, so we will be doing them for sure... I would imagine once a year is often enough for a street bike.

Back