• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Carrier install

Xcellor8

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me start with this is my first how to write up, so please be kind! Lol! The Honda carrier is a very easy and strait forward install. The instructions that came with it are very clear and easy to follow. After removing both seats I cut out the template supplied with the instructions, aligned and taped to the rear side plastic covers. The second picture shows where I had marked with a Sharpie the material was to be removed. The third pic shows the removed material. Like a carpenter, measure twice (check,double check), and cut once. I used an air saw, then cleaned up the edges with a flat and a rat tail file. The instructions recommended removing both covers, but I saw no reason to do so. I then checked side handles for fit...perfect!. Next I cut and installed the edge trim supplied, shown in pic #4. As stated in the instructions, I assembled the rear carrier and brackets on the bike. Make sure to leave all fasteners very loose until carrier and brackets are complete, then tighten all fasteners starting with the four that attach it to the frame. Overall this is a very easy project, with the hardest part (for me) was cutting the plastic covers (YIKES!) The fit and finish is excellent and overall I am pleased. Cheers!

Attachments

• nc4.jpg
    nc4.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,043
  • nc1.jpg
    nc1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,045
  • nc2.jpg
    nc2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,060
  • nc3.jpg
    nc3.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,054
Last edited:
Great photos!! This should negate the "cutting up is no no" notion of many owners of the NCX. Shall we just say it was a necessary circumcision which spurs the NCX carrying capabilities to new heights? LoL. Thanks for the photos! ~Joe

Lol! Thanks guys! Yea, the only hard part was pulling the trigger on the air saw. Once I cut about 1/4" and was past the point on no return, all went well.

If one does not have an air saw, what other tool(s) would you recommend? A dremel? Picking up my bike this weekend and already have the saddlebags and rear carrier components.

Like you said, once you cut, you are past the point of return.

Thanks for any info.

Yes, you did a fantastic job with a very neat install. But why is it, that fitting a genuine Honda accessory requires the cutting of plastic bodywork while all the aftermarket rear carriers/racks don't? It doesn't make sense to me.

I was debating about getting the HONDA factory carrier/top box versus the givi.
The top box was only a minor difference in size. Honda says 45 where as givi says 46.
The only reason why I went with givi is because I didn't want to cut my brand new bike.
So got the givi top box (v46).
And by the way, you did a lovely job on your carrier install. Very nice and sharp !

Ken

If one does not have an air saw, what other tool(s) would you recommend? A dremel? Picking up my bike this weekend and already have the saddlebags and rear carrier components.

Like you said, once you cut, you are past the point of return.

Thanks for any info.

A dremel would work just fine for cutting the plastics. You may gave to run it on low speed and stop frequently to allow the plastic to cool, it may start to melt and gum up right at the bit. It is really not a big deal if you take your time, measure/check template placement twice, and then cut. I'm sure you will do just fine. After the carrier is installed, it looks like it was done from the factory. I do not ever intend to put the original handles back on, so I'm happy.

A dremel would work just fine for cutting the plastics. You may gave to run it on low speed and stop frequently to allow the plastic to cool, it may start to melt and gum up right at the bit. It is really not a big deal if you take your time, measure/check template placement twice, and then cut. I'm sure you will do just fine. After the carrier is installed, it looks like it was done from the factory. I do not ever intend to put the original handles back on, so I'm happy.

I used a styrofoam saw - small blade was great for the corners and plastic was easy to cut.

I used a roto zip, it's a bit like a small router, no speed control, and I had to remove the body part to work on it safely. I love the Honda rack, but is is odd how much has to be removed, like the grab rails. What am I supposed to do with them? I just can't imagine this bike without a rack.
BigE

Like Triumpher, I used the roto zip and it worked great. It does require a steady hand.

I have mine sitting in my garage. I am too scared to cut in to my bike. I rebuild bikes and maintain all of my vehicles but I always flame out big time on these types of projects. I have a Rotozip but always melt plastic pretty bad when I use it for that purpose. Thinking about a manual scroll type saw?

great install and great rack. thank you for sharing. You are a brave man cutting your plastic. No way for me. I ordered the givi as I'm not cutting a brand new bike.

ordering the carrier

Let me start with this is my first how to write up, so please be kind! Lol! The Honda carrier is a very easy and strait forward install. The instructions that came with it are very clear and easy to follow. After removing both seats I cut out the template supplied with the instructions, aligned and taped to the rear side plastic covers. The second picture shows where I had marked with a Sharpie the material was to be removed. The third pic shows the removed material. Like a carpenter, measure twice (check,double check), and cut once. I used an air saw, then cleaned up the edges with a flat and a rat tail file. The instructions recommended removing both covers, but I saw no reason to do so. I then checked side handles for fit...perfect!. Next I cut and installed the edge trim supplied, shown in pic #4. As stated in the instructions, I assembled the rear carrier and brackets on the bike. Make sure to leave all fasteners very loose until carrier and brackets are complete, then tighten all fasteners starting with the four that attach it to the frame. Overall this is a very easy project, with the hardest part (for me) was cutting the plastic covers (YIKES!) The fit and finish is excellent and overall I am pleased. Cheers!

Thank you for the photos. They always help. Where did you order the carrier? How much did it cost?

Back