• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain & Gear Repalcement

Yet, many people never have an issue (includes me) in many thousands of Km with a clip.
I use what comes with the chain, so sometimes use a clip, sometimes a rivet. Never an issue with either. (Clip on CB500X, rivet on DL1000 at present.)

UPDATE: I replaced the chain at the time I replaced the gears and used the clip-link supplied with the chain - a friend said they work fine, that's what he does. Somewhere along the way on my FIRST ride after, the 'clip' disappeared - it was ~200 mile ride and I only noticed it gone just before I got back home - no idea when it took flight?!? THANKFULLY!! the link was fully intact, just the 'clip' was gone. So I ordered some spare master links and did a little research.
RESULT: I cleaned the outer link plate, link pins and replacement 'clip' with rubbing alcohol, put Blue-Loctite on the mating faces of the outer link plate and clip link and reassembled, let it sit and set overnight. Then I did my best to safety-wire it. I tried to double wrap it with what I had on hand but wasn't happy with the results, so it's just single wrapped.
View attachment 29349

Looks to me like your safety wire is being rubbed by sprocket tooth. The safety wire could be the failure problem.

Looks to me like your safety wire is being rubbed by sprocket tooth. The safety wire could be the failure problem.
Not my picture I just copied from a previous post but probably did the same thing. Anyway shouldn't be necessary and I used the clip that came with the chain. sprocket center was nice enough to send me both a clip and rivet with both chains I've ordered from them

Yet, many people never have an issue (includes me) in many thousands of Km with a clip.
I use what comes with the chain, so sometimes use a clip, sometimes a rivet. Never an issue with either. (Clip on CB500X, rivet on DL1000 at present.)

Ditto for me. Always used a chain with clip because it is not so easy to get the exact pressure right when setting a rivet. Very easy to do it wrong with too much or too little pressure and have breakage problems. In theory a rivet is the best way to go if properly installed. Even the dealership where I bough my bike will install aftermarket chains with the clip. I would say you have an issue that is causing the clip to fail, especially if you are safety wiring it. That safety wire shouldn't disappear.

Well, I too find myself getting ready to replace my chain. I got 17,000 miles out of it, but I guess all good things must come to an end. This morning, when I left the house, I accelerated and everything was right with the world. I come up to the (expletive deleted) speed bump and notice a new "scratching" noise. Scratch, scratch, scratch. It seemed to line up with the rotation of the wheel. Needless to say, I turned around and headed back to the house. I found a very kinked chain, which I thought was odd because I inspected and lubed it Saturday. Oh well, it is what it is. Of course this happens the week it's supposed to be beautiful outside. Looks like I'll be staring out the window waiting for the UPS truck.
From what I've experienced - it seems it's when Decelerating that the kinked links hold their kink and bang around on things - accelerating seems to be able to stretch them out to some extent.

Maybe. I did check the safety-wire at various points and it remained intact for some time but seemed to be loosening slowly - the stress, flexing, vibration, acceleration, deceleration, . . . ?? Again 50-80mph for 3-4-5hs at a time isn't just poking around in town - I attribute it to that.

Update! - that clip-link disappeared along with the safety-wire - AND sadly, it's replacement link and safety-wire on the next ride - - That the chain link didn't fail entirely on me in the middle of no-where - I don't even know what to say?!?
View attachment 29960
~$100 bucks for the DID Chain tool - which works great - and some rivet links . . . be careful what people tell you that they've done that has worked.

I would say the DID KM500R Chain Tool is a service shop quality tool. It easily helps you press on the outer plate, flare the rivets, and cut a chain (or push out pins to remove an old chain). I had no problems flaring the rivet heads to factory spec 5.5-5.8mm on the first try - I highly recommend it. It might not be for all chains but is the tool for all DID 520 chains and maybe some others. Some places wanted $135+ for it, I got it off of Amazon for just under $100.
DID_KM500R_Chain_Tool_Mod.jpg

Back