• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain Guard Extender

treybrad

Reaction score
Visit site
I've really enjoyed my Tutoro automatic chain oiler since I installed it this winter. Recently though, with the warmer weather, the oil I'm using is flowing better, and I've found myself trying to recapture the sweet spot between too much (too much fling off) and too little (dry chain) oil. You really have to have it cranked up for it to fling onto the wheel and tire, but there's a pretty fine line I've found to keep the chain damp but keep the fling off the rear of my side cases/tail section.

So I started brainstorming, and Googling today in hopes of remedying the situation. Rossocromo offers a very nice, elegant solution if you've got the means:

36-80-thickbox.jpg

Carter de chaîne - Rossocromo France

But, at $150+, that's just not going to fly for me.

I didn't have Strat's favorite medium (a plastic trashcan), but I channeled his creative spirit and spotted my cheap, plastic cup that I've got a dozen of for using the the garage, etc. Now the wheels are turning.....

Got my trusty razor knife and hacked off the bottom, and cut it to a reasonable width:

IMAG1025.jpg

A quick hit with the drill and a zip tie later, I think I've come up with a free (and quite unattractive) solution:

IMAG1026.jpg

IMAG1027.jpg

I think it'll work well, time will tell. If so I'll probably go find a better, nicer looking piece of plastic to rivet in there. A cheap chain guard off any bike via eBay or something would probably be perfect, but this should do to test it out...

trey

BOOYAH! I almost doing the same thing with my Skidmarx. It's allowing lube to be flung as up to the seat. I've still only got the plan in my head, I just need to cut out, pop-rivet and plasti-weld (glue) it all up...um...maybe some paint too?
Thanks for the pics!

I have done almost exactly the same with one or two of my other bikes. I pop riveted a small strip of plastic on to the end of the guard. It doesn't even have to be as wide as the original, just slightly wider than the chain which flings off the overspill in a straight line. It works on those bikes but so far I have not found it necessary on the NC.

Back