• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain lube question

bduffey

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Being new to the world of chain drives............... Should a chain be lubed after a bike sits un-ridden in an unheated shed for about 2-3 months during the winter? The chain currently has about 130 miles on it and is clean and freshly lubed, but I don't know wether or not the lube will degrade in the cold.

Thanks.

Most lube will just thicken in the cold, probably stays put better that way. Still might be a good idea to lube it up again in the spring after your first ride when the chain is still warm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

once upan a time i bought a bike(CBR) from police auction. poor bike was stored practically next to the ocean,uncovered ,right on parking lot for 3 years! believe it or not,but it wasn't damaged at all by the sun rain or snow and the only truly rusty spot was the chain. probably never been lubricated-all covered in rust. but after i clean it with kerosine and properly oiled it-it was running like new, without any visible damage on o rings for many many thousands of miles.
so-don't worry about it,they are pretty tough . :)

e1f1ad30c399.jpg

Last edited:
Being new to the world of chain drives............... Should a chain be lubed after a bike sits un-ridden in an unheated shed for about 2-3 months during the winter? The chain currently has about 130 miles on it and is clean and freshly lubed, but I don't know wether or not the lube will degrade in the cold.

Thanks.

Your NCX's chain's lube is sealed in by o-rings. The 'lube' we all do is nearly nothing more than rust-preventative for the outside. If the o-rings have been compromised such that either the original lube is gone, or our externally-applied lube is what's lubing the pins, then the chain ain't gonna last very long anyway.

So, go ahead an 'lube' again once you pull it out of storage. It won't hurt anything to have new rust-preventative on it when you roll it out again.

Last edited:
Your NCX's chain's lube is sealed in by o-rings. The 'lube' we all do is nearly nothing more than rust-preventative for the outside. If the o-rings have been compromised such that either the original lube is gone, or our externally-applied lube is what's lubing the pins, then the chain ain't gonna last very long anyway.

So, go ahead an 'lube' again once you pull it out of storage. It won't hurt anything to have new rust-preventative on it when you roll it out again.
I respecfully but strongly disagree. The lube WE put on lubricates between the sprocket teeth and chain roller and properly done multiplys the life of both.

If a chain fails from rust it is on a bike that is rarely ridden.

Last edited:
I think the point might be..............the lube that is enough to prevent rust is enough to keep the chain to sprocket contact point lubed and wear free as much as possible. I think most will agree running the chain dry enough to allow rust would also not be good for the sprockets........if you live a rain forest you will need more lube.
Excessive lube only makes a mess and prevents rust on the swing arm and rear wheel.......but attacks dirt and dust which can do more harm than good for both the chain and sprockets.

Last edited:
Back