• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Proper Voltage

Phaedrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I read a lot of the threads here, but seldom write. I'd been a happy owner of two NC750x for the past 5 years and never had a problem. I'm very happy with the bike. Currently I have a small concern.

I had to change the battery last week as it started to have problems cranking the starter. It never left me stranded, but it was a close call. In any event I charged the battery with one of those "intelligent chargers, an Optima 4. Tried again after an overnight charge and it worked well for a week or so, until the problem resurfaced. This time I tested the unit with a Solar BA7 battery tester, which I understand works by measuring the conductance of the battery and compares it to standard based on the type of unit you input. The original battery (YTZ12S) has a capacity of 210 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps). After being charged it indicated 170 CCA. So, I decided it was not good enough and purchased a new one. Just for good measure I used dielectric grease in the contact to avoid problems or corrosion.

The new battery (BTZ12S) has similar capacity (215CCA) and after charging it overnight and let it rest for an hour, it read 330CCA. So I installed it and so far no problems. But the BA7 tester also test the charging system and it indicated that it was over charging. And here is my doubt/question. The voltage with the switch on, engine off is ~12.7-12.9 after a day without use. During cranking the voltage drops to 10.1-10.3 and then it remain within 14.1 to 14.5 ALL the time. It never drops below that even after a couple hours of riding, regardless of rpm. My theory is that voltage level is ok during the initial period of charge, but after a while it should drop to ~13 v. This leads me to believe that the battery was "cooked" prematurely as I had this motorbike for only 20 months brand new. That's way too short for a battery life. I'd a VStrom 650 for 6 years and sold it with the original one. One clarification. I don't use the bike much, only 12,000km in those 20 months. And unfortunately I can not keep a charger connected 100% of the time as the bike is garaged in a public parking. I do connect the charger every now and then and when I have not ridden the girl for over a month. So, I guess that's one reason for the low service life of the battery. But the issue of the voltage bothers me as the problem may resurface somewhere down the line.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have my lower left gauge set on voltage on the bike and it reads very similar to yours. 12.5 when ign key turned on, 10.3 or so while starting, then 14.2-14.6 while running. It has always been like this for the last 3 years and 42,000 miles.

FBMeloRh.jpg

...My theory is that voltage level is ok during the initial period of charge, but after a while it should drop to ~13 v. This leads me to believe that the battery was "cooked" prematurely ...
I must admit that I was a little lost in your story about... charging the battery?
One rhetorical question is about your theory about the battery charging system? Some modern vehicles have battery charge control systems to prevent overcharging.
But, in this motorcycle, the battery is charged continuously by the alternator and the charging voltage is regulated at a constant level of 14.0-14.5V. Only in rare cases, under heavy load at reduced engine speeds, the charging voltage may drop below the battery's internal voltage and then the battery is discharged.

I have my lower left gauge set on voltage on the bike and it reads very similar to yours. 12.5 when ign key turned on, 10.3 or so while starting, then 14.2-14.6 while running. It has always been like this for the last 3 years and 42,000 miles.

FBMeloRh.jpg
Thanks for the info. At least I know that's the way it supposed to be. Most likely my battery failed way to early due to lack of use.

I must admit that I was a little lost in your story about... charging the battery?
One rhetorical question is about your theory about the battery charging system? Some modern vehicles have battery charge control systems to prevent overcharging.
But, in this motorcycle, the battery is charged continuously by the alternator and the charging voltage is regulated at a constant level of 14.0-14.5V. Only in rare cases, under heavy load at reduced engine speeds, the charging voltage may drop below the battery's internal voltage and then the battery is discharged.
No need to feel lost. I provided context to make the problem easier to understand. So I guess in your case it was a bit of info overload. A summary: battery failed after only 20 months of active duty. Looking for reasons I thought it was cooked due to overcharging. Probably not given what 'The Ferret' post it. Most likely the problem was lack of use. Thanks for the feedback.

No need to feel lost. I provided context to make the problem easier to understand. So I guess in your case it was a bit of info overload. A summary: battery failed after only 20 months of active duty. Looking for reasons I thought it was cooked due to overcharging. Probably not given what 'The Ferret' post it. Most likely the problem was lack of use. Thanks for the feedback.
I can’t say I have ever heard of ”lack of use” as being the cause of early battery failure. I can see it failing because self discharge or parasitic load was not monitored and the state of charge dropped too low for too long. But if the battery is maintained at a proper full charge, I’d think lack of use (discharge/charge cycles) would more likely extend the battery’s life. That’s just my theory; I have no evidence.

I typically get 8 years life on lead acid vehicle batteries. I would be concerned, too, if mine died as early as yours did. I currently have two in operation that are 7 years old, and one that is at 8.5. They are fine but at this age I monitor them closely.

I can’t say I have ever heard of. ”lack of use” as being the cause of early battery failure. I can see it failing because self discharge or parasitic load was not monitored and the state of charge dropped too low for too long. But if the battery is maintained at a proper full charge, I’d think lack of use (discharge/charge cycles) would more likely extend the battery’s life. That’s just my theory; I have no evidence.

I typically get 8 years life on lead acid vehicle batteries. I would be concerned, too, if mine died as early as yours did. I currently have two in operation that are 7 years old, and one that is at 8.5. They are fine but at this age I monitor them closely.
I would understand "lack of use" in this context as chronically discharged and as you know this kills batteries before their time.

Heat is also hard on batteries. I keep mine in a high state of charge mostly from use - riding each bike weekly if not more normally for 1 to 5 hours but I will use a 800 milliAh or 1.25 AH charger/maintainer if a bike sits into a third week or so. I'm replacing batteries every three years on average. If I remember you have mentioned that you don't like riding when temps are hot but I'm in Florida. I wonder if storage and use in low to moderate temperatures help extend useful life.

Last edited:
I would understand "lack of use" in this context as chronically discharged and as you know this kills batteries before their time.

Heat is also hard on batteries. I keep mine in a high state of charge mostly from use - riding each bike weekly if not more normally for 1 to 5 hours but I will use a 800 Ah or 1.25 AH charger/maintainer if a bike sits into a third week or so. I'm replacing batteries every three years on average. If I remember you have mentioned that you don't like riding when temps are hot but I'm in Florida. I wonder if storage and use in low to moderate temperatures help extend useful life.
I almost mentioned the heat related aging issue. Malta does apparently have some very hot summer weather, but I don’t know enough about the climate to blame the OP’s short battery life on heat.

Hi all, my 2014 NC750x ABS light flashes after around 5mph and stays on. I suspect battery is on way out (lack of use). Would this cause the ABS light issue? Hope you can help.

Hi all, my 2014 NC750x ABS light flashes after around 5mph and stays on. I suspect battery is on way out (lack of use). Would this cause the ABS light issue? Hope you can help.
Probably not. If you are going 5 mph, then I assume the engine must be running, and the alternator will provide voltage.

Check to see if the ABS rings or sensors are damaged.

Back