• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motor won't start after (new) battery replacement

CLibre

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

last year I was unable to ride my bike due to wrist problem, and I found out that my battery charger was dead, hence also the battery after a year without starting the bike.
So I went to the Honda dealer and bought a new battery, I installed it myself, and tried to start my NC750 DCT, but it ticks but the engine doesn't start, like the starter tries but no succes...
(The lights on the instrument panel I think are all okay meaning : ABS,Neutral, oil sign, --> orange engine light is on and I am not sure it this should be the case ... I thought this should dissapear if you put on the contact after a few seconds, the manual is not clear about that, only when it blinks if your are riding the bike.. )

So I read the manual, asking me in case of problems to fully open throttle and to push the starting button for 5 seconds and then try again, without succes... The motorbike just had it's checkup a year and a half ago, only 8000 km's, it always started good before, until the battery replacement (and it wasn't a first for me on this bike).
My Honda dealer is on holiday so he can't help me out and that for the coming 3 weeks, I hoped to get to ride in this summer but it doesn't look good

any advice?
thx in advance

Attachments

• tempImagefao0HY.png
    tempImagefao0HY.png
    10.5 MB · Views: 7
Put the battery on a charge for a while. It may have been on the shelf for a very long time.

hey Griff,
thx for your feedback, that were exactly my thoughts , so I have charged it again with a new battery charger I bought.. I reverified it, and it's 97% charged according to the new charger

Check your kill switch.
Try jumping it from a much bigger battery.
You might need to look at fuses if you can’t get the engine to turn over.

Those are the symptoms of a dead battery btw. As mentioned it’s not uncommon to be sold a battery that is dead as a dodo. Try the new battery in something else you know works.

Cable connections clean and tight? Clicking upon trying to start is a part called the solenoid relay closing and opening rapidly because system voltage is too low under the load of the starter. Echoing other comments even new batteries are sometimes a dud or maybe the cables don't have a good connection. The place you got the battery can load test the battery for you. It should not drop under 10.5 volts when the starter is engaged.

... I reverified it, and it's 97% charged according to the new charger
What kind of charger could tell the state of charge with such NASA accuracy?
Based on information from YUASA: Open circuit voltage for a fully, 100% charged AGM battery is 12.8 to 13.0 volts. AGM batteries that are 75% to 100% charged will measure 12.5 to 12.8 volts.
So 97% of charge would be 12.764 volts.
You should rely on measurements with a commonly available multimeter.
In most vehicles, if the battery charge is below 50% (AGM battery it is 12.3 volts) the battery can still start the engine. But since the beginning of the NC/CTX it has been observed that many people have trouble starting the engine when the battery voltage is below 12.5 V. I suspect a faulty design of Honda starter relay switch. From my experience, however, I remember that it was not enough to replace the starter relay switch, but it had to be a new battery. The relay may work, it may have good contacts, but the battery cannot supply enough current to close the contacts. Nobody blames Honda. You just buy a new battery. Looking for a bad current connection does not help as it is rather provided in the vast majority of modern vehicles. If there are bad connections, a battery with 100% charge can also have problems.

I remember 10.5 volts in Deka East Penn back when I was selling Deka East Penn batteries in the 2000s. Other references range from 9.5 to 10.5 volts. I don't think it's critical..... it's hard enough to see the low value reached when testing in vehicle.
This is from the YUASA Technical Manual - Powersports Batteries. I have no reason to dispute it and I certainly will not check the credibility of it. This is general information. Though it could be useful at times.

Hey guys,

thx a lot, it seemed to be a "new" flat battery, I was sure I charged it a few weeks ago (since I had the same idea, some new batteries can loose their charge) but for some reason then it didn't work, only after a few hours of charging it again, the bike started immediately, I was so happy !
thx for your guys input !!

have a lovely holiday !
cheers
CL

Back