• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain Oilers ... Are they really useful?

Well, if even the experts can’t agree, where does that leave us mere mortals? Just comparing logical, reasoned, opinions and in some cases, real world experience, it would seem. I’ve never used an oiling device. Then again, I can’t state that my DIY chain maintenance has always been as timely and as thorough as it should be. And my chain replacement cycles have been right at the averages - even after all the buck$ spent on various brands of lube and cleaning materials. After reading countless posts, reviews, and watching a boatload of videos of various oilers, I’m about to give the Chain Oiler device a try. I figure anything that helps keep the chain free(er) of dirt and grit (on-road or off) and keeps a thin coating of rust inhibiting lube on the bare metal parts, oughta be worth a few more thousand trouble-free miles from the drive chain and sprockets. And even if the cost per mile is a wash, the peace of mind is worth something to me. I will say this, the average lube-in-a-can does (IMHO) tend to attract and retain a lot of crud. And I don’t see that occurring with an auto-oiler. That right there oughta help with cleaning duties. Just one more Humble Opinion. YMMV :cool:

I put an oiler on my bike pretty much from new. Since I was a science nerd I keep track of my gas mileage & maintenance expenses. My MPG improves 24% post yearly chain cleaning. I'm upping my cleaning and not trusting the oiler to do all the work....

I don't have an oiler...but how about just the simple convenience of not have to lube your chain. If Santa got me one for Christmas I wouldn't be sad :)

My former bikes all had shaft drive so only needed to change the gear oil once every two years and that was it.
It took me a while before I knew enough about chain drive, that it would be just as simple as a shaft drive is. Probably even more simple as most parts can easily be inspected at any time.

I bought the NC (750XD, model 2015, bought in 2016) and had a fully automatic controlled chain oiler installed. Very expensive in comparison with most available autonomous systems on the market, but the Dutch inventor of the Pro-Oiler lives nearby so if any problems occur, the fix could be done without any fuss or delays.

The Pro-Oiler is hardly visible on the bike, most parts are hidden behind the panels, only the dual-nozzle and the keypad/display are in sight. The oil distribution is regulated only by actual speed and covered distance. During slow rides covered distance has priority, the higher the speed, the sooner a drop of oil is delivered (related to rotational swing-off of the oil). Only during heavy rain I manually increase the oil delivery, but at "sweet spot setting" I need to refill the reservoir after 10,000 miles or so.

I have had no issues so far and I do not expect that at all. The CPU and GPS receiver are located under the rear top cover, behind the passenger seat. The pump (the only part which does wear somewhat over time) is next to the fuel cap and if needed, replaced in a minute. The whole system only needs a 12V input, so no more than a plus and minus wire. It's connected on the wires for the rear light (which is active whenever the contact is on). When activated on contact, five seconds are needed to do a complete system check and than it's good to go. A GPS fix is generally done after 100 yards and it stays fixed the entire ride until contact is switched off again. I use new engine oil from a Castrol can, mineral 10W40 from my former old bike. It's colored red so the oil flow in the clear delivery tubes can be checked easily.

I never have to deep clean the chain, the rollers are always shiny with a clear coat of oil, only the chain sides become a bit greasy after several months. Just an old oily T-shirt wipes it clean within minutes. The same sides are lubricated with a thin coat of white chain spray to prevent "fly-rust" during wintertime when the bike isn't used. I did not have to do any changes on the tension bolts yet (original factory chain, about 11,000 miles old). No chain maintenance money spent yet in these 4 years, which is already about $200 less than I was used to spend on a shaft drive bike.

Last edited:
Well for whatever it is worth, I bought two of the Cobrra style (but mine is branded Gibidi from Amazon but same thing at $20 lower price). One for my NC750x and the other for my wife's NC700x.

It's a fully manual system. I would have purchased the Tutoro but wanted to make sure I had it installed and adjusted for this summer. We are planning a few trips, some shorter, 1 much longer. So I want it fully tested before departure. Availability of the Tutoro in the US right now seems to be an issue. I could probably get it in time for the longer trip but not the shorter trips. I've had foreign mail packages delivered promptly and other deliveries that have arrived well past the time I've needed the goods. I opted for my 2nd choice oiler.

I'm not a complicated guy. In fact I hate complications. So my priority in chain oiler choices was to make sure it was simple. Mechanical. Not connected to an motorcycle systems. Others have different priorities and we all choose what we find best for ourselves.
  1. The Tutoro would be my first choice in chain oilers based on everything I can find. Simple mechanical unit with almost nothing to break. And fully automatic.
  2. The Cobrra/Gidibi is my 2nd choice. Also idiot simple mechanical unit, but fully manual.
  3. My 3rd choice is the Loobman, but being from the UK and no US distributor I am taking a pass. It's an idiot simple mechanical unit, also fully manual.

Other than added cost of a chain oiler, I see no downside.

I'm not 100% convinced there is a major upside. But I do believe any oiler can help keep the chain a bit cleaner & lubed on long trips when it's a bit harder to do routine cleaning or maintenance and that is my main motivation for adding a chain oiler.

Here is an install video from a VBlog.

[video=youtube;h_h86srkieA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_h86srkieA[/video]

As another K.I.S.S. Devotee (guess that dates me some) I am drawn to the simple and least intrusive devices. No electrical connections, no vacuum tubes to cut. Limited opportunities for malfunction down the road. I really like the operation of the Cobrra/Nemo/GIDIBI units. But the wind powered one caught my attention, too. It has the added advantage of continuous flow when the bike is moving as opposed to the wet/dry cycle of the totally manual devices. Meaning if I lose track, or forget to initiate the mechanism and flow, or just don’t do it often enough, then there could be some long dry spells between oiling. Still flipping the coin...

As another K.I.S.S. Devotee (guess that dates me some) ... But the wind powered one caught my attention, too. ...

My personal reasons for passing on that unit are (others may not be concerned about these things):
  • If not properly adjusted/oriented for the wind I see it failing to actually oil the chain. Seems to be the biggest issue to my mind.
  • Get the air intake installed in a low pressure zone on the bike's front and you are not oiling properly.
  • Get the air intake installed slightly off and it is not oiling properly.
  • Somehow clog the intake tube and it won't oil (bug, debris, etc).

Some people report that an oil fill lasts a long time (many thousands of miles). To me that indicates that they are not actually oiling as it should be. My guess is the air pressure hose is not adjusted correctly? Clogged?

All fair points.

One thing is for certain: about the only reason the Cobrra could fail would be ME.

I haven’t experienced significantly different motorcycle chain durability with an auto-oiler vs following the owner’s manual for maintenance. Where I DO find a difference is that in fact I don’t clean & lube as often as the book says. An auto-oiler is therefore about lazy convenience, from my point of view.

FYI, I see the Cobrra Nemo 2 is currently (6/20/19) on sale on their website bestdamnchainoiler.com for $80.00.

No affiliation. Can't recommend positive or negative.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

There is nothing mission critical about an auto-oiler. Nobody "needs" a GPS, software controlled, auto oiler but dayum, they are convenient! That is why I went with the most complex oiler on the planet. If it fails, who cares???

Just keep a can of WD-40 and a paper towel in the frunk,,,no biggie.

In the mean time, for the last 35,000 miles or so I haven't had to worry about cleaning/lubing/adjusting the chain and no, the oiler hasn't failed.

I totally get the KISS principle, but again, for something as mundane as periodic chain lubing/cleaning that you can do virtually anywhere/anytime using commonly found paper towels and spray lubes means I'm really not concerned about a failure of the auto lube system.

Last edited:
Just to close out my thoughts and have it inside this thread (much of this is also scattered across a couple other general topic threads)

I bought 2 of the NEMO 2 units. Gidibi version. There is a Cobrra version. They look the 99.9% identical except for the logo. Both are machined out of aluminum. I believe these would survive a crash.

The Gidibi version is $20 cheaper. The Gibidi version comes in a plain cardboard box, no instructions.
The Cobrra version comes in a fancy full color box and has instructions inside.

Gidibi version is available in several anodized colors, including Grey, Black, Blue, Gold and Red.
Cobrra version is available in any color you want, as long as you only want BLACK.

I ordered the Gidibi versions in BLACK but I received GREY. I installed the grey units because I wanted these installed on our bikes before leaving for a big trip and I didn't have time to ship them back and get replacement units. They grey color is attractive, doesn't really stick out or draw attention, I'm fine with it, but I still would have preferred black.

There are lots of YouTube videos on how to use and install the Cobrra units. There is even a YouTube video of an install on an NC700x. The Gidibi version, being a clone, installs and works the same way.

I know the Cobrra version was designed in Slovakia; no clue where it is actually made. I'm betting the Gidibi version is made in Asia.

Both come with the oiler unit, 2 O-rings (1 is a spare), hose, handful of zip ties (assorted sizes), 1 spare pressure seal to connect the hose to the oiler unit, 2 aluminum hose guides w/adhesive tape on the back, 1 adjustable guide used to aim the hose onto the chain/sprocket. Honestly I don't know why they provided the extra pressure seal unit. I appreciate the extra O-ring. The cap is screwed down to the unit body, which is also the oil reservoir. The O-ring keeps the oil from running out of the treaded cap under pressure. Doubt the O-ring will fail, but it might be possible to lose so its nice they provide an extra O-ring.

Install time was approximately 20-30 minutes (each).

To fill the reservoir the units need to be level. So you need to find a spot on the bike that is easy to level. The NEMO 2 does not have to be level to operate, but it does need to be level to fill it with oil. I installed them on the right side of the handlebars using the top brake fluid reservoir screw to hold them in place. It did require that I insert 1 washer as a spacer so the unit would not come in contact with, and scratch down the face of brake fluid reservoir. An install video suggested that 2 were needed. I suspect that the thickness of the washers used in that video was thinner than the washer I used? In any case, you will likely need a spacer if you install in the position.

Using some inexpensive BAR & CHAIN OIL from the local Tractor Supply, same oil I use for my chainsaws, I filled the units, primed them, and let them sit overnight. No oil drips on the floor the next day.

The American distributor for the Cobrra version suggests that a 1/4 turn is all that is needed when starting out in the morning. Another 1/4 turn late-morning/mid-day, and another 1/4 turn sometime mid-afternoon. Each 1/4 turn apparently dispenses oil for only a few minutes, at least according to his video. I've seen other reports suggesting that a 1/2 turn used 2x per day on trips worked well too.

I took off on 2 successive test rides, about 50 miles each bike. In each case I did a 1/4 turn and pulled out of the driveway, rode for a few miles and stopped to check to see that I had oil dispensing and also to see if it was dispensing where I wanted it dispensed. Had to make a minor adjustment to one of the bikes as I had set the dispensing tube slightly off. Ultimately in both cases I'd say NEMO 2 was successfully dispensing oil exactly where I wanted it to go and it was doing what it is designed to do.

Bar & Chain oil is fairly thick stuff. Designed to stick to the bar of a fast moving chainsaw. Figured it would be good for a motorcycle chain/sprocket too. After the test ride I looked for splatter. Didn't see anything that was new. I've taken both bikes out on follow up rides and have used the NEMO 2 oiler each time. After each ride I looked for oil splatter and did not find it. I'm convinced they work because I inspected them to insure they were dispensing oil. I'm convinced they don't over-oil.

Downside of the NEMO 2 ==> it is manual. Requires a human to spin the knob.
Upsides of the NEMO 2 ==> machined aluminum, very nicely made, idiot proof, works, simple, durable

Honestly I'd also be happy with the more slightly expensive Tuturo unit. I looked at those too. They were out of stock. NEMO 2 was in stock. Made my choice a bit easier. Tuturo is mostly plastic. Nemo 2 is machined alumium. Tururo is automatic. Nemo 2 is manually operated. I'd say take your pick, but I would always worry about breaking the plastic reservoir on the Tuturo, especially on gravel roads, not so much on pavement. Another member here reported a broken Tuturo and posted a photo of the shattered reservoir. We have a lot of gravel in my area, your situation may be different. If you want to lube your chain constantly, the Tuturo might be better. If you think its OK to lube your chain periodically then the NEMO 2 is going to work.

4e4170a9-6650-4c31-83eb-50c98dad8f21-original.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, we are 10 days into our trip, been up the coastline of Lake Michigan, across the UP, and now around 4/5ths of the shoreline of Lake Superior and this morning I refilled the Nemo2 reservoirs with oil before setting off on our next leg of the trip. So nearly 2000 miles? Used 2x per day. Every day.

My oilers came in today. Can’t wait to get ‘em on both bikes and working.:cool:

And you were right; the GIDIBI’s came from China.

4891C8A5-95D1-46CE-BDC7-40C30BBA1F67.jpg

Basic Black. Nice looking device. And it is indeed simple :). (Just like me)

Last edited:
I noticed that there is a small amount of oil "fling" starting to build up on the end of the chain guard now. Perhaps I am applying too much oil? As I'm on a trip I'm not worried about it at all. I'll probably switch to gear oil when I get back home (a couple thousand miles from now).

Basic Black. Nice looking device. And it is indeed simple :). (Just like me)
We got the grey versions. I wish mine was black. The grey color blends in nicely on my wife's 2016 but I think my 2018 would look better with a black NEMO2.

GIDIBI NEMO2 is on and works as advertised. Followed your helpful lead and put it right next to the brake fluid reservoir using a couple washers as spacers. EZ. Patience and nimble fingers and I managed to follow the frame with the tubing without having to remove any plastic. 80/90 gear lube flows easily and has already begun to clean the gunk off the chain. No fling noticed at all. No drips on the garage floor. I give it a dose as I leave the ‘hood and another as I near home (yeah, that’s probably overkill) and that way it’s put away with a freshly oiled warm chain. No sticky spray using a rag and piece of cardboard anymore!

Second bike will be a cake walk; no plastic at all, pop the tank off and tie the tubing down...

Happy camper:)

FWIW, figured I'd give a bit of an update.

I'm getting a bit of a mess on my rear wheel rim.

I just switched from "Bar & Chain Oil" which is used on chain saws and over to heavier 85-140 Gear Oil.

Also of note, I have the oil deposited onto the side of the sprocket. I may be moving the oil tube to drop directly on the chain in front of the sprocket. Both methods were recommended to me. Figured I'd try the side of the sprocket method. Honestly I wonder if that doesn't contribute some to the fling off issue?

FWIW, figured I'd give a bit of an update.

I'm getting a bit of a mess on my rear wheel rim.

I just switched from "Bar & Chain Oil" which is used on chain saws and over to heavier 85-140 Gear Oil.

Also of note, I have the oil deposited onto the side of the sprocket. I may be moving the oil tube to drop directly on the chain in front of the sprocket. Both methods were recommended to me. Figured I'd try the side of the sprocket method. Honestly I wonder if that doesn't contribute some to the fling off issue?

I’ve been using 80/90 gear oil and getting a bit of “fling” up into the chain guard. it presents itself when I park the bike and notice a drop or two directly under the rear-most edge of the chain guard. Frankly, though, i think I’ve been over-oiling. I plan to back off a little on the frequency but also think I’ll move to a thicker oil at the same time. I currently have the flow going right to the center of the links just so as not to favor one side of the chain or the other. Things do stay nice and oily, i must say. And evenly dispersed.

Back