• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

cheap shock protection

I like this cheapo mod and will try it this weekend. I had the RossoCromo hugger on my 700X but didn't think it fitted very well, and I had to twist it to stop it hitting the tyre and it didn't do much of a job of protecting the underside of the bike. I have considered the fibreglass huggers - there is a carbon fibre one made in France I think, but they all include a chainguard, and it means I might have to remove it every time I want to clean or adjust the chain.
Mike

I like this cheapo mod and will try it this weekend. I had the RossoCromo hugger on my 700X but didn't think it fitted very well, and I had to twist it to stop it hitting the tyre and it didn't do much of a job of protecting the underside of the bike. I have considered the fibreglass huggers - there is a carbon fibre one made in France I think, but they all include a chainguard, and it means I might have to remove it every time I want to clean or adjust the chain.
Mike

I had exactly the same problem with the Rossocromo hugger. I complained to the retailers but got no good of them. I will be binning it shortly and going the same route as you. I wrote to Rossocromo again today having seen your post. Perhaps you could do so also and we might get some satisfaction ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had exactly the same problem with the Rossocromo hugger. I complained to the retailers but got no good of them. I will be binning it shortly and going the same route as you. I wrote to Rossocromo again today having seen your post. Perhaps you could do so also and we might get some satisfaction ?
Mine's gone now Grump - with the old 700X. I'm just writing it down to experience.
Mike

Rossocromo have come back to me. They wish me to return the hugger when they will replace it with one to suit "Bridgestone tyres". I will check how much the shipping will cost me and then decide. However that is tantamount to an admission that there is a problem.

I'm gonna give this a try tomorrow. I've bought a black plastic tub at wally world for 1.97 today. It has plenty of "attempts" in it. I gotta do something with the bike, as the weather has been too harsh for me- plus I HATE the salty brine on all the roads. I never really paid much attention to this on my past two bikes since they were enduros and already had a plastic plate in this area.

Got my DIY attempt fitted yesterday, and will try it today (although despite what the world may think about the UK weather at the moment, it looks like being a glorious sunny day). I had to use a bit more in the way of tie wraps, because I had to fit my particular cut out with the convex shape pointing towards the tyre. If I did it the obvious way, it was too loose and fluttery. So in order to take out the convexity I drilled a few small holes and used small tiewraps to pull it back to a second long tie wrap fitted slightly lower than the one shown in the pics above.
Mike

The plastic from the planter buckets is easy to find and seems durable enough. Find a neighbor who gardens or go to a nursery and you can probable find one free or cheap. I used two 9 or 10 inch zip ties, attaching them together. Thread the first one through the slot already in the under fender and attach the second one to the end as it comes through and thread it through the slots you make in the plastic flap, and tighten the zip ties. No drilling holes or any "invasive" mods to the inner fender, unless you want to attach it this way. The amount of plastic in these buckets let you screw up some and it's really simple.

Art

Great idea, thank you.

well it worked great today - mainly dry day but lots of water running across the hill roads in the Scottish Borders - and they were all covered in salt. When I got back the back end of the bike was white, but the shock was immaculate.
Great idea
Mike

I had a peak through the slots that we are using to tie our tiewraps into, and think I spotted a rectifier/regulater behind the panel. Those slots seem intended to provide air flow for cooling, so some of the pics above might indicate some problems when the warmer weather comes around.
Mike

Rossocromo have come back to me. They wish me to return the hugger when they will replace it with one to suit "Bridgestone tyres". I will check how much the shipping will cost me and then decide. However that is tantamount to an admission that there is a problem.

To bring this story to a conclusion, I sent photographs of my faulty hugger to Rossocromo in Italy. They have sent me a new one and I fitted it today. It has been improved and is now a much better fit. Good service from them.

Back