• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cleaning the header?

eastbayandy

Reaction score
Visit site
Having spilled coffee on the bike, I decided it was time to give re a good cleaning. The header before the cat looks especially bad. Any ideas on how to clean it and make it look better. It looks like a rotten apple now.

Hey Andy :D

IMHO, nothing you do will really make the OEM header/cat ever look that much better aesthetics-wise, other than just give it a functional hot soapy water scrubbing with a stiff bristle cleaning brush.

High heat and oxidation combined with road spray and grime pretty much instantly make that universal blech! look on headers no matter the finish, barring really good double walled chromed (or possibly plasma sprayed) types.

Quality stainless steel, if maintained with rather obsessive compulsive constant vigilance and not much riding in inclement conditions can almost hold it's own, or develop a certain patina and colour tone that a lot of people come to like or appreciate, but I don't believe our dear NC's have superior grade material put into their header section bits. Functional, but not at all designed to be pretty.

Plus the shape is no friend to the affair, being all gnarly and crimped in a weird sausage lump, versus the smooth larger radii of more "classic" motorcycle exhausts.

You could clean it as best you can and then spray paint it high heat black, which would maybe camouflage it a bit, but it still will get all dirty tan colour, and then constant reapplications of paint would be needed- too much hassle I think.

Good luck though! :)

Thanks. I pulled the plastic off and realized it was caked with red mud, which I thought was rust. Scrubbed off with a good brushing. Now it looks a little bit better.

Yeah, there's a guy near me that does cerakote for a reasonable price. I thought about having it done after seeing how nice my centerstand looked powdercoated blue (paint was chipping out of the box, so redid it), but after riding it a bit most of the nasty looking rust/dirt burnt and/or got knocked off.

One thing occasionally done is to have the exhaust system ceramic coated. Some high milage Vespa users swore by it.

If your talking about the inside, it has been done before on different engines. There was a company in my area that rebuilt engines with all sorts of these fancy upgrades that would add a few percent performance and the coated exhausts were a big thing. Not exactly an outstanding increase unfortunately.

What about that high temp exhaust paint that's offered by Rustoleum and other companies? I've seen it before in stores and though about giving it a try. Would be cool to have all that stuff matte black and protected, but I dunno if it works.

I've had good results in the past with the header paint, I'm actually doing some modifications to the exhaust in the next few weeks and planned on painting it when I have it off, I'll post pics of the exhaust when it's freshly done. I'll update if it changes color or quality

If your talking about the inside, it has been done before on different engines. There was a company in my area that rebuilt engines with all sorts of these fancy upgrades that would add a few percent performance and the coated exhausts were a big thing. Not exactly an outstanding increase unfortunately.

No, this was a protective coat for corrosion prevention. Vespas are known for rusting out their mufflers, with wet weather riding.

I keep all my headers clean with a scotch brite cleaning pad. It looks scary when you get done cleaning (I just use soap/water or WD-40) as the pipe looks too silver but one good heat cycle and it just looks brand new. Quick and easy

Just get a nice bash plate. Out of sight, out of mind! :)

Yeah, probably better than cleaning it all shiny and then putting grandma's clear plastic furniture and lamp protectors all over everything ; }

Back