• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

clear brake light

It may matter to some..........no way this light is DOT legal. There is a reason the turn signal lights are a specific distance from the brake and tail light.

Looks like the company is from Canada. Curious if this is even legal in Canada?

I don't know about canada, but in MN you can't sell any parts/accessories for motor vehicles that aren't street legal with out the packaging clearly stating that it is for off-road use only. I suspect many states have similar laws.

for example local motorcycle shops can't sell flashing brake lights here because they aren't strictly legal (they are strictly illegal though) but I can buy them online from stores that are in states that either have no such requirement about only selling products that are legal to use, or from states where flashing brake lights are legal.

(though a way around that for local shops is to simply label the product for off road use only, though it might be a tough sell to convince someone they need flashing brake light for off road use...)

Whether it is DOT legal and whether it works well are two entirely different questions. Most of these clear replacement lights suffer in performance from the originals. They may achieve localized brightness but have a very narrow effective angle. Directly behind, they are insanely bright, but off-axis a bit and they are nearly invisible. The advertisements almost always show a direct straight-on view of them. As pointed out, the lack of spacing could confuse someone of your intentions. The US regs have a wider distance spec than Europenam which is why we get ugly long blinker stalks on a lot of bikes that the rest of the world gets body mount lenses (Yamaha TMax a case in point).

My rear lighting is 100% not DOT legal and I could be written for an equipment violation. However, if it works well and meets the intent of the regs, then it has been my long history that I won't get ticketed. My LED rears are by Whelen and are made as auxiliary lights for emergency vehicles. The visibility, viewing angle, and reliability are top drawer. An officer would have to be hunting a reason in order to write it.

On this item, I'd want to know its off-axis performance (and I still would not like the turn signal spacing).

Given the number of hand made mods out there I can see this one slipping through the local patrols.

That said I wouldn't personally do it, but that's just my opinion of ascetics. I like my indicators to clearly state what I'm doing. I'll take that over looking pretty any day. I find the LED tail lights with clear lenses to be much less visible and my experience is with the much larger ones on cars.

I think i'd go with the tail kit to clean up the rear end rather than this. If looks are the primary focus.

I like the idea of a tail tidy but don't like the look of the R&G one. The only other one out there that I have seen is the JMV Concepts one from France but it is a bit pricey.

J...

Last edited:
BRUUDT makes a tail tidy similar to the R&G but slightly different, the JMV Concepts is pricey and very nice looking installed. The Ermax is just as clean as the JMV and even more pricey. I am sure the JMV is also not DOT legal as it eliminates your rear and side red reflectors (as most tail tidys do). Here is a site with several Tail options you may or may not have been aware of: All the fender eliminators for the Honda NC700X. - NC700Shop

It would look OK if it wasn't all clear plastic, but it is. I like tail lights to be red, and unfortunately for me all the tidy tail kits I've seen for our bikes all sport clear lenses (JMV aside, but that unit also looks nuts to install). I'd be all over something like what S2 or Puig has to offer if the tail light lenses were red though (with smoked signal lights). I've got "smoke" paint sitting on my workbench, but does anybody know if you can get red paint for doing taillights?

From the looks of it you dont have to totally eliminate the existing blinkers on the side it just would replace the existing red brake light. I dont see why this would not be street legal in some states if it was clear. BMW has been doing it for years on there GS 1200's clear lens with red LED's. I currently replaced all my amber turn signals with the clear lens off a CBR and put in amber bulbs. I think it would look pretty slick with this clear brake light. I think those tail tidy kits they sell look nice but many of the reviews i red people complained that the brake lights weren't very visible. All just a personal preference i guess.

It may matter to some..........no way this light is DOT legal. There is a reason the turn signal lights are a specific distance from the brake and tail light.

Turn signals are not even required in Florida.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and order one of these. Looks nice.

image003_zps9e670ea3.gif

Last edited:
If people poke around on the Webike site, you will find at least three separate LED models available, one clear, one clear/chromed, and one clear light smoke tint.

Also, there is a German company that does a dark smoke tint LED version.

All of these appear identical to the incorporated turn signal version shown here, except *I believe* none of them are the includes turn signal style, but just a brake/tail light.

If it actually was bright enought to be seen, I would go for one of the dark smoke LED ones myself, but I haven't seen any pictures of how the things look in "normal" daylight conditions, on a motorcycle. They may look awesome in a studio picture, but I have been so disappointed over the years with wimpy, virtually invisible LED brake/stop lights, that I am very wary of their abilities, until I see them with my own eyes...

Back