• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Complete Idiot's Guide to Shock Replacement: where would I find it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4372
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4372

I picked up the highly praised Tuono shock from an Aprilia shop in Texas. Shiny and clean I'm eager to install it.
The manual is bare bones. My research shows some of you removed the right side plastics; others didn't. Nowhere has my searching revealed a step by step, do it this way (you idiot!) guide to shock replacement.
My hands can barely squeeze in next to the top nut and bolt. Can't seem to get a socket+wrench+hand in there. So must I remove the fairing? I did the left side a couple of weeks ago and found it to be a hassle to reassemble. Managed to mangle a few plastic joiner clips and lost a few things to the bowels of the bike.

Anyone have a direct, straightforward, relatively simple method for removing and replacing the shock?
Will I have to suck it up and remove the right-side plastics or is there another way?

Bear in mind that I'm not the greatest wrencher in the world, so simple but time consuming beats quick but complex every time. Time, I have. Skill, not so much.

TIA, ladies and gentlemen

When you say "Manual" are you talking about the small format Owner's Manual? The O/M never covers things such as shock removal - its purpose is to explain the controls and to guide you through basic maintenance.

For any detail you'll need a factory Service Manual and they're available through Helm in Detroit. Helm stocks all the manuals for Honda plus they do the same for many other manufacturers.

I have the factory manual/service manual. It is skimpy at best, at least for me, on shock removal. It calls for plastic removal, which I found to be far more tedious and part-losing than the manual "suggests" when I did the left side. Service manuals tend to be written for people who already have some knowledge of the task at hand. That doesn't include me.
That's why I posted my question: is there another way to remove the shock? Or, a complete idiot's guide? (Perhaps after I've done it, I'll write one myself... I've got a lock on neophyte for this stuff.)
If I do have to remove the right-side plastics, I'll do it with a camera in-hand and perhaps run a video too. I've looked at the British forum, which includes a series of plastic removal photographs, still found it something I'd rather not have to repeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the only complicated part; bodywork removal :(

If you can't fit a wing up there to undo the top shock bolt, then sorry mate, yer gonna have to bite the bullet and take the right side stuff off.

The bottom links and lower bolt are pretty much directly as you see them, straight forward to undo and do back up.

I actually contemplated drilling a hole just big enough to fit a socket on an extension through the right side for that bolt and either just leaving it, or covering it up with a plastic/rubber plug...:eek:

I'm okay with the OEM suspension the way it is, however there are a few roads I regularly ride that are cracked an almost buckled and I feel like I'm riding a dirtbike through whoop-de-dos.
I stand on the pegs and let the suspension knock me around. It's fun, but after a dozen miles of it, it gets tiring.

The shock exchange is a simple two bolt job, however, you have to be able to get to the fasteners. The right side plastics have to come off, but this is something you really need to learn how to do. Very quickly it is no big deal - especially with the service manual. Mangled clips are only caused by not knowing how to release and reset them. Push the center in to release the lock and pry it up with the flat blade of a screwdriver, a hook tool, or a good fingernail. To reset, pull the center out, place the rivet, and then press the center to the home position.

When I did mine, I ended up taking the right side plastics off to get to the top shock bolt. Couldn't figure out how to finangle anything in there under the plastic. The bottom of the shock and linkages were pretty self explanatory.

The plastics are only held on by something like 6 allen bolts and 3-4 pushpins. Keep track of which allen bolt came from which hole (lay them out in order on the ground when you take them off) and the fairing pops off. The more often you do it, the quicker it goes! :)

I highly suggest going ahead and pulling apart the whole suspension links to grease them while changing the shock. The top shock mount is the only hard part rest is easy to pull part. Honda was spares with the grease. I went ahead and dropped the swing arm too and greased it. Use a waterproof bearing grease. They are usually labeled as trailer bearing grease.

Thanks, Bama. I've got some AmSoil grease from way back work on an old Volvo. I'll catch the bearings while I'm in there.

Back