• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Considering NC700 DCT

thomriddle

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a retired mechanical engineer living in Tonawanda, a suburb on the north side of Buffalo, NY USA.

I just joined the forum to learn more about these bikes. Currently riding a V-Star 1300 Deluxe and am ready to downsize due to side effects of aging. I've ridden a new CTX 700 DCT and thought that was what I wanted. But then I rode a used NC700 with manual transmission. I think I like the NC700 riding position better but want to ride a DCT version before I decide for sure.

I'll be reading a lot on this forum before I start asking questions.

Welcome! Let us know how we can help.

Since the forum is five years old, a lot of topics have been covered. The easiest way to find them is with Google. Type your search subject, along with "site:NC700-Forum.com".

Last edited:
I am a retired mechanical engineer living in Tonawanda, a suburb on the north side of Buffalo, NY USA.

I just joined the forum to learn more about these bikes. Currently riding a V-Star 1300 Deluxe and am ready to downsize due to side effects of aging. I've ridden a new CTX 700 DCT and thought that was what I wanted. But then I rode a used NC700 with manual transmission. I think I like the NC700 riding position better but want to ride a DCT version before I decide for sure.

====

Welcome. I rode a Triumph Sprint ST 1050 for many many miles over nine years time, and like you, decided to downsize for the same reason. The only thing I miss about my Sprint is the brutal and exhilarating acceleration. Other than that, I don't miss it at all. I really think my NC700 DCT is a brilliant motorcycle. It's a great all-rounder and a bike that is easy to make your own with all of the aftermarket stuff that is available. After having the DCT, I don't think I will ever go back to a manual transmission. It's that good!

Good luck with your decision.

-----

One of the best aspects of the DCT to me is that at an intersection you just roll off the throttle and stop.
At idle and in gear, the bike sits still, so no need to brake or clutch.

[One of the best aspects of the DCT to me is that at an intersection you just roll off the throttle and stop.
At idle and in gear, the bike sits still, so no need to brake or clutch.]

And it automatically downshifts to 1st gear when you stop so you're ready to GO!

Two friends have non-DCT NCs and before I bought one they warned me about the low red line which caused them to bounce off the rev limiter initially. I use "D" about 95% of the time but often manually downshift so hitting the rev limiter is not a problem.

Last edited:
One of the best aspects of the DCT to me is that at an intersection you just roll off the throttle and stop.
At idle and in gear, the bike sits still, so no need to brake or clutch.

I recently rode a Suzuki Burgman 650 as it was on the short list, now off the list. One thing I disliked about its CVT was the deadband between idle rpm and when its clutch started biting. Idle was 1100 and it didn't start to move until 2200 rpm. I asked and they said it was not adjustable. I know the DCT is totally different and understand how it works. Question is how much rpm deadband between idle and the beginning of motion?

I've had a new NC for about a month and it is a manual, so I cannot comment on the DCT. I can say that it is an incredible machine. Its stable mate is my fourth VFR, a nearly perfect motorcycle, but for commuting, the NC wins hands down. Visibility is great, power is quite adequate (yes, it's only got half the horsepower of the VFR), fuel economy is excellent, it has great visibility and the storage is unique. I suspect the DCT is a plus and a minus; a plus when you want the machine to do the shifting, and a minus when you'd prefer to do it yourself. It's probably the future of multi-geared motorcycles, but as a near dinosaur rider (I'm 68) I still enjoy the sense of a well-executed shift in the smooth coordination of the clutch, throttle and shifter. Whichever version you buy, I hope you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I've been by this amazing little machine!

I'm a retired teacher and I love my DCT. I generally go for an hour or two once a week, meandering about the countryside. Love the DCT. I've also done some long trips. I averaged 425 miles per day for 15 days last June. Had a great time and the NC performed perfectly. It was great in the mountains. Never had to worry about being in the right gear.

I recently rode a Suzuki Burgman 650 as it was on the short list, now off the list. One thing I disliked about its CVT was the deadband between idle rpm and when its clutch started biting. Idle was 1100 and it didn't start to move until 2200 rpm. I asked and they said it was not adjustable. I know the DCT is totally different and understand how it works. Question is how much rpm deadband between idle and the beginning of motion?

There is a big difference in feel between a DCT and a CVT. I used to own a Piaggio BV 350 which was a very nice scooter but I HATED the CVT. if you are used to the direct connection of gears then a CVT just feels sloppy and inefficient. The DCT feels like any other motorcycle except that you can choose to shift or not shift. There is no lag in take-off at all. Honda has done a great job with it.

I've owned many motorcycles over 47 years including both versions of the NC700X. For me, in my opinion, the DCT is the version to have. I recently posted this in another thread in this forum:

"The other day I lost the tire pressure monitor off the handlebar as I traveled about 3 miles of rutted bumpy dirt road in the Osceola National Forest. When I noticed it was gone I turned around and rode back at 4 to 6 mph scanning the edge of the road hoping to find the missing monitor. This is operating in the range of 1000-1200 rpm and right at the edge of the friction zone, the clutch engaging and disengaging in what must be no more than a 50-100 rpm range. The fueling was smooth and steady off idle and allowed me to keep moving at barely more than a walking pace while standing on the pegs and looking at the ground. This was about an hour I would have had working the clutch in the friction zone and the DCT did it perfectly. I did not find the TPMS monitor but I gained a fresh perspective of how well engineered the DCT is and the third generation (2016-17 NC700X, Africa Twin, VFR1200X) is supposed to be more refined yet in clutch control."

Thanks for that information, dduelin. That is good news and what I expected since it is not a CVT but a computer controlled dual clutch "manual" transmission. I own a Subaru with CVT and there is not a dead band from idle to motion due to the torque converter. I guess the scooter CVTs don't use a torque converter but rather have a centrifugal clutch. I bet by changing the weights in that centrifugal clutch their dead band could be reduced to only a hundred rpm or so.

There is a big difference in feel between a DCT and a CVT. I used to own a Piaggio BV 350 which was a very nice scooter but I HATED the CVT. if you are used to the direct connection of gears then a CVT just feels sloppy and inefficient. The DCT feels like any other motorcycle except that you can choose to shift or not shift. There is no lag in take-off at all. Honda has done a great job with it.
----
Interesting. I love my BV350 because it has a wet centrifugal clutch, not a dry one like the BMW C650GT which takes a while to spool up before you get under way. Same for the Burgman. The wet clutch on the BV is miles better than the dry clutch cvt's. There's virtually no lag on my BV. A well designed cvt is a fine thing, in my opinion. You're always in the right gear, so to speak. Such is life.
==

I've owned many motorcycles over 47 years including both versions of the NC700X. For me, in my opinion, the DCT is the version to have. I recently posted this in another thread in this forum:

"The other day I lost the tire pressure monitor off the handlebar as I traveled about 3 miles of rutted bumpy dirt road in the Osceola National Forest. When I noticed it was gone I turned around and rode back at 4 to 6 mph scanning the edge of the road hoping to find the missing monitor. This is operating in the range of 1000-1200 rpm and right at the edge of the friction zone, the clutch engaging and disengaging in what must be no more than a 50-100 rpm range. The fueling was smooth and steady off idle and allowed me to keep moving at barely more than a walking pace while standing on the pegs and looking at the ground. This was about an hour I would have had working the clutch in the friction zone and the DCT did it perfectly. I did not find the TPMS monitor but I gained a fresh perspective of how well engineered the DCT is and the third generation (2016-17 NC700X, Africa Twin, VFR1200X) is supposed to be more refined yet in clutch control."
-----
It's hard to imagine how much more refined the 3rd generation could be as compared to our 2nd generation. Mine works beautifully, as yours (obviously) does too. BTW, would you happen to know which of the 3 sport modes in the 3rd generation corresponds to the single sport mode in the 2nd generation? Just curious. Thanks.
===

Last year I rode my NT700V to an event in Sparta, NC and along the way we got caught in the long traffic jam on I-77 south, caused by those dreaded orange barrels. It took a good 30-minutes before traffic rose above a walking pace and by then my clutch hand was really tired. It certainly made me wish for my DCT bike!

I did the same thing when I took a new CTX700 DCT and a new NC700 manual bike out for test rides. I was very impressed by the DCT on the CTX but not the riding position. I was blown away at how much I liked how the manual NC rolled down the road. I love riding this bike, the DCT is very yummy icing on the cake.

Anyone know what model years the change between "generations" happened? I'm looking at a new '15 model year. Is that 2nd gen?

Thanks for all the good answers. Great forum!

Thom

Anyone know what model years the change between "generations" happened? I'm looking at a new '15 model year. Is that 2nd gen?

Thanks for all the good answers. Great forum!

Thom

The NC700X plastic styling changed for the 2016 model year. The underpinnings are basically the same. So that is 2nd gen, if the styling is what you mean. In terms of the DCT generation, 2016 introduced gen 3 (gen 1 existed prior to the NC700 product).

Back