• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Coolant temp meter

duk2n

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have installed a coolant temp meter to my baby.

Materials: Indicator, 22mm hose adapter and patiente. The first two ones are from Koso, the third is from my own

IMAG0172.jpg

The first thing to nude the right side of the bike. Then, loosen the radiator cap. There is a very small screw in the cap that needs to be loosen before the cap.

With a small silicon hose attached to a syringe, extract about 250 cc of coolant from the radiator. Then, dismount the upper flange, cut the hose and install the adapter and sensor:

IMAG0173.jpg

Then, inyect back the coolant extracted previously.

I placed the indicator over the stock dashboard:

IMAG0175.jpg

There is a screw in the back side of the dashboard that is perfect to fix a small self-made support there:

IMAG0174.jpg

Finally, install again the right side panel.

Finished product:

IMAG0176.jpg

The hose adaptor is almost hidden with the side panel in place:

IMAG0179.jpg

You have to be very close to see it:

IMAG0177.jpg

I did a test of the kit and found that the fan fires at 100 ºC, and disconnects at 95 ºC

HTH

Nov 19th 2012 update

I moved the indicator below the dashboard. I was thinking to install something here but finally I would do it in another way. I think now is better:

IMAG0198.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like this bike runs pretty cool. I will be interested to hear from you about what the temp. sits at going down the highway. I rode home from work this morning and it was about 60 Fahrenheit, and I could hold the radiator without burning my hand.

I feel like this bike runs pretty cool. I will be interested to hear from you about what the temp. sits at going down the highway. I rode home from work this morning and it was about 60 Fahrenheit, and I could hold the radiator without burning my hand.

It's too soon to have confident data, but I went out for dinner yesterday, weather temp was about 10 ºC (I think this is about 50 Fahrenheit), around 10 km trip, 90 km/h, and the max running temp I saw in the meter was 74 ºC. The same in the trip returning home. I was expecting to get around 85-90 ºC.

Tighten carefully, as this is only a tapping screw into a plastic boss in the instrument case.

Thanks for the advice, Lee. Actually the support is very light, just a piece of plastic riveted to a square of aluminum. Anyway I'm thinking to improve it with something velcroed to the top side of the dashboard, version 2 ;)

Thanks for the advice, Lee. Actually the support is very light, just a piece of plastic riveted to a square of aluminum. Anyway I'm thinking to improve it with something velcroed to the top side of the dashboard, version 2 ;)

I understand, that it doesn't need to be greatly tightened, but some people tighten everything like it were an axle bolt. I find that most damage done to motorcycles with owner maintenance is done by over-tightening fasteners. I just wanted to point out to others who may choose this as a point of attachment, that it is a bit fragile. I am certain it is up to the duty you have selected for it.

Great work!
Just couple of questions:
- after refil the coolant into radiator have you done some operations in order to be sure there is no air inside radiator?
- how and where have you connect the temp meter? Does it switch on only when you turn the ignetion on?

Thanks!

- after refil the coolant into radiator have you done some operations in order to be sure there is no air inside radiator?

Just refill up to top. If you have had used the side stand (not the center stand) the radiator cap is the topmost piece of the circuit and there is no way to get air into the circuit. Anyway, FYI, the service manual just says to fill up to the top, fit the cap, turn on the bike some minutes and then check the coolant level in the reservoir

- how and where have you connect the temp meter? Does it switch on only when you turn the ignetion on?

Yes, only when the ignition is on. I have the option connector and sub-harness in place (the optional connector for accesories) so I got a switched power source from there. Anyway the indicator comes with a plug to get the power from the position light, for example.

Thanks for response!
I see you are from Spain.... where have you found the Workshop manual?
Can you please response me via mp eventually?

It never gets warm enough in Scotland to worry about overheating, but I can see the advantages of this on a long trip on the European mainland-especially down in the Iberian penninsula...

Very elegant. I was a little disappointed to see that there was nothing more than a dummy light to indicate the status of the coolant temperature in the stock setup. It may not be strictly necessary, but it provides peace of mind. Your setup is clean and simple. I like that!

It's too soon to have confident data, but I went out for dinner yesterday, weather temp was about 10 ºC (I think this is about 50 Fahrenheit), around 10 km trip, 90 km/h, and the max running temp I saw in the meter was 74 ºC. The same in the trip returning home. I was expecting to get around 85-90 ºC.

Interesting! There is obviously more coolant bypassing the thermostat than I would have guessed, even with the thermostat completely closed. I was thinking before about putting a piece of cardboard over part of the radiator; probably would be a good idea during cool and cold weather.

Last edited:
Interesting! There is obviously more coolant bypassing the thermostat than I would have guessed, even with the thermostat completely closed. I was thinking before about putting a piece of cardboard over part of the radiator; probably would be a good idea during cool and cold weather.
just remember this bike was made to run correctly for 25 below zero to 132 above, and it will, if you block the radiator in any way you are going to cause your self problems. the fi systems runs off coolant temp and air temp and exhaust o-2 sensor, be very careful doing anything that could effect these inputs, dale

Back