• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Darksides

A friend told me that if you have a car tire on your motorcycle and get in a wreck, your insurance will not cover you. He owns a motorcycle shop.

I'm surprised anyone would be willing get to take the chance.
Insurance assessors usually aren't stupid people that's why they are an assessor - they will/should have knowledge of what they are looking at when they assess a vehicle for damage after an accident.

I think the insurance non coverage is more an urban legand than fact.

Just because you do something unconventional or just plain stupid or modifiy your bike the insurance coverage does not change.
An example like add unfused eletrical accessories, burn your bike and house and garage to the ground your still covered........as long as you did not do it on purpose.........it is clearly you fault but your covered.

Top reason bikes and cars burn........modification to fuel and electrical system and lack of routine maintenance........first thing insurance looks at ..........who and what was worked on last before the fire. *Still covered by insurance but insurance loves to subrogate the coverage to a shop, dealer or another party for their errors. *Cheap lube places are well known for oil leaks after service car or truck burns.........shop is on the hook. *If you changed your oil your still covered.........for being incompetent or careless.

Stupid like run a tire bald..........crash and total your bike........your covered, your stupid, lack good judgement and it still your fault.........but your covered.

Same goes for filling your lawn mower with gas while the engine is running..........burn the house down.........your covered and your stupid.

Never lie to the insurance company.........lying is fraud.......fraud is NOT covered......stupid is covered.......fraud is a crime......being stupid is not a crime.......maybe would be but for now it not a crime.

Accidents happen but Injure somebody while being stupid, careless, having poor judgement or being unconventional is a completely different problem and you can be held responsible of multiple crimes......most common drunk driving.

Last edited:
Here's a CT on one of my bikes

It's a 05' Burgman 650.

The Burgman 650 is a Pretty good handling bike, well it is with My B650 as I modded the front and rear suspension on mine.
Front forks have racetech springs and Gold cartridge Emulators, synthetic fork oil, then added air valve to fork caps to provide 10psi or less air preload to forks, I run about 5-psi in the forks.
Rear Shocks are new Progressive shocks that fit a Goldwing GL1200, modded a little to fit. i use the lightest available springs for the goldwing to provide a good ride and handling.

Whats changed going to a car tire;
1. Improved handling through twisty roads that's right IMPROVED!!!
1a. Improved off road riding, meaning dirt roads and gravel roads, also paved roads with gravel or sand on them.
2. Improved Braking wet or dry
3. Improved Ride quality, ride is more comfortable
4. speedo error -10% is now corrected to being very accurate per GPS.

I will never go back to a MT tire on this bike, anyway.

The benefits far out way any negatives, oh yea I have not mentioned any negatives, when I find any negative i'll let you know.

I have more than 10k miles so far, and the CT looks like new.

When i find a CT for the NC7X, I'm getting it.

Here is a picture.P1010948 1 comp 92k.jpg

Last edited:
I went dark side on my Strom with the sidecar and left it on after the sidecar came off.I have been thinking about putting one on the NC but it doesn't have much room between the swingarm and the tire.
c3ae52ca94d1f11d0b9aa91fc03432e6.jpg

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

I couldn't find the recent thread I saw on "darksides" but I wanted to put up this info from an IBR rider. If anyone would know about it someone who just finished the 11,000 miles in 11 days with one should have some good introspection.
From the FJR forum-

- Tires:
- I used a car tire on the rear and only had about 7,000 miles experience using it prior to the start. My thoughts was that (1) I was fairly certain that I could not make it through the rally on a single rear tire, (2) at the end of the day, there are many interstate miles during the typical IBR, and (3) I never want to risk an unplanned tire change on the IBR so that left me with no choice of doing a planned wheel change or using a car tire. I can say with certainty that using a car tire on an event like the IBR (11 intensive days of riding), is absolutely more tiring than using a motorcycle tire. I had to use much more pressure on the handlebars throughout, regardless of what type of road I was on. I felt it in the palms of my hands, in my triceps, and in my traps. It also just isn't as fun as riding on a motorcycle tire. I can't really say what I would do next time until next time happens, but as of right now, I would probably have a wheel ready and do a rear wheel swap at one of the checkpoints. Having said all that, I did enjoy the confidence that the car tire gave me during some torrential downpours.

I couldn't find the recent thread I saw on "darksides" but I wanted to put up this info from an IBR rider. If anyone would know about it someone who just finished the 11,000 miles in 11 days with one should have some good introspection.
From the FJR forum-

- Tires:
- I used a car tire on the rear and only had about 7,000 miles experience using it prior to the start. My thoughts was that (1) I was fairly certain that I could not make it through the rally on a single rear tire, (2) at the end of the day, there are many interstate miles during the typical IBR, and (3) I never want to risk an unplanned tire change on the IBR so that left me with no choice of doing a planned wheel change or using a car tire. I can say with certainty that using a car tire on an event like the IBR (11 intensive days of riding), is absolutely more tiring than using a motorcycle tire. I had to use much more pressure on the handlebars throughout, regardless of what type of road I was on. I felt it in the palms of my hands, in my triceps, and in my traps. It also just isn't as fun as riding on a motorcycle tire. I can't really say what I would do next time until next time happens, but as of right now, I would probably have a wheel ready and do a rear wheel swap at one of the checkpoints. Having said all that, I did enjoy the confidence that the car tire gave me during some torrential downpours.

I agree with him completely. I had a car tire on a Sabre 1100 and it worked pretty good. I don't think I can find a car tire for the NCX and I don't think I would like it much either.

Hey Jeff, I think I got the Tenere website mixed up with this one. I found a thread about darksides on it as soon as I went there.

I have never ridden dark side, but I think I prefer a motorcycle tire in the rain. A flat face on the tire is more likely to hydroplane than a tire with a rounded face that pushes water to the side as it makes contact with the pavement. I have ridden in rain heavy enough to be over the curb on city streets and done fine.

Back