• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT Transmission Clunky

Not true. There is a thing called a lockup torque converter that has a clutch mechanism that locks the engine to the transmission input shaft. This is done under computer control to improve efficiency in the transmission. I guess under the definitions you've been trying to use that these are now manual automatics?

I was thinking this same thing. Once the torque converter lockup clutch is engaged, it's simply a manual transmission in top gear. The gears are the planetary type, but they're just gears.

But... Do they clunk?

If you guys want to argue automatic/manual, start another thread. Thanks.

I think your clunk comes from the big engagement dogs in the motorcycle transmision. There are no synchronizers in the Honda DCT. The gears are engaged in the same way it's done in the manual transmission.

There is a thing called a lockup torque converter that has a clutch mechanism that locks the engine to the transmission input shaft.
Correct. That is why I mentioned it in my post ;-)

Anyway, the lockup doesn't take place until the turbine and impeller are moving at close to the same speed. Great for highway driving to eek out a few more MPGs that wouldn't be there because of the inefficiency of.......... slippage ;-)

Thing is, that "clutch" has nothing to do with shifting. That is why you can put an automatic transmission in D, drive for awhile, stop, and not have to put your automatic in N with the engine running. No lock up clutch to worry about because the automatic doesn't even need one ;-)

Manual transmissions are a completely different design, and must be either in neutral or the clutch must be disengaged for you to stop with the engine running. Before the advent of 8-9 and 10 speed automatics the manual transmission was the MPG performance king due in part to the superior mechanical connection it made between engine and drive wheels. Zero slippage (compared to an Automatic) Sadly, those days are gone.

Last edited:
Mine has an audible "clunk" I can hear but not feel. Often if I don't hear it I don't know it shifted.

My Honda Ridgeline automatic transmission will "clunk" under the right conditions where I hear and feel it. This is typically when I change throttle position right when the transmission is shifting and it decides to reverse the shift quickly. The 2006 Ridgeline is more what people tend to think of with automatic transmission. Built with Honda reliability it has over 398,000 miles and going strong.

I hope 11 pages of responses is enough for you Wideguy!

The DCT is in neutral on startup and has a very audible clunk when toggled into 1st.
Shifts up or down are relatively quiet.

Another post w/video by a new bike member is concerned about a knocking sound at idle.
If not the pulled in clutch on his X it sounds abnormal to me. But would also be abnormal for a new Honda product if not clutch noise.

Honda dealt with these 'clunks' as best as they could.
Yes, 3rd gen DCT still "clunks"- nothing to do with it being dual-clutch.
Why DCT is mentioned everytime clunks are identified, is beyond me.
Thanks, Honda you saved hundreds $$ for me NOT to make it quiet, because
I don't mind a firm confirmation that my gears are working.
There is always at least one guy who calls my 2016 Africa Twin DCT a "scooter".

I love my 998cc scooter with auto tranny:eek:
Let those 'have-nots' call it whatever, that makes them less jealous, LOL

PS make sure you are familiar with the normal clunking noise to differentiate
with other noises coming from or near the gearbox.
In my case I was riding what I assumed to be a broken gear/whatchamacallits due to noise
coming from down below. It was consistently within the lower gears and went away in higher gears.
Diagnosed by Alfred_Bham within a few seconds as chain noise.
Never suspected it would be the chain as my bike was recently inspected by $tealership for 16k service.:mad:

I read the BMW forum on 1200rt's and you may know BMW introduced Gear Shift Assist Pro a year or two ago - it Let's you shift without the clutch in most circumstances. You don't hear anyone saying anything about a "scooter" over there.

But you do hear about "clunky" transmissions and the system not always working so well. At more than 2x the price of the NC700, i would think they'd get that right. I keep hoping for a 1200rt DCT[emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm new to the NC but not to riding and wrenching.

I recently bought a new from the dealer 2016 DCT ABS model, mostly because I needed something I could ride without aggravating my arthritic left big toe joint so I couldn't walk for days after riding.

I traded in my 2001 RC-51 and got a good deal! And the NC solves my problem in a most agreeable way. This bike is fun and easy to ride at pace on back roads and mountain roads. (The seat isn't right for my skinny old butt, and the brakes don't inspire me to charge into downhill corners... But that's probably a good thing...).

Anyway, my DCT makes clunky gear noises. My car doesn't. No car I've driven with a DCT makes clunky gear noises...

Honda USA "Tech Support" told me they weren't really tech support, and I should take it to my dealer 40 miles away to see if they can hear and feel the clunks... Because not everybody knows clunky gear noises when they hear them I guess.

Anyway, do they all do this? Has yours done this?

Thanks for your time and replies.

My bike has clicked and clunked for 6500 miles in the last 22 months. Fear not, the DCT is working as it should. Just the nature of the beast.

Back