• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question DCT wonderings

jknight611

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I was in traffic (really unusual in our small town) and started wondering…. When on my old fashioned bikes that I shift with my foot, I always tap it into neutral while at a traffic light or otherwise sitting, thinking it was probably easier on the clutch. Well with DCT should I tap it into neutral while sitting in traffic or at a traffic light?

Auto’s transmission has a torque converter and that’s designed to sit in gear, the NC’s DCT is (my understanding only) is 2 reasonably traditional clutches controlled by a motor and solenoids, and I am not particularly interested in seeing the insides of the DCT system.

You could I suppose, it doesn't need to be put in neutral when stopped. Just remember not to rev it to listen to the pipe while sitting still while still in gear. And if you do pop it in to neutral while stopped, remember to put it back in drive before trying to take off, or you will embarrass yourself leaning forward and going nowhere while the engine revs lol.

Do it however you want. The clutch won’t care. I always want to be in gear at a traffic light and such so I can move immediately if I need or want to. Mine is a manual, but the only time my bike is ever in neutral is if I’m servicing it or pushing it in the garage. While riding it is always in gear, and I’d do the same with a DCT.

Good point! I have always clicked into neutral after the cars around me settle down, but I do see your point.
Some cager might try to go up your tailpipe.
Check those mirrors give yourself some room and never use neutral at a traffic light. :cool: :cool: .

I'd heard reputably that there's no need to put a manual in neutral, just to hold the clutch, so I never did it. I consider it a 'feature' of the NC750 that I have instantaneous access to power while stopped.

I'd heard reputably that there's no need to put a manual in neutral, just to hold the clutch, so I never did it. I consider it a 'feature' of the NC750 that I have instantaneous access to power while stopped.
Yes, plus the ability to use the left hand for something if needed while still idling in gear.

Auto’s transmission has a torque converter and that’s designed to sit in gear, the NC’s DCT is (my understanding only) is 2 reasonably traditional clutches controlled by a motor and solenoids, and I am not particularly interested in seeing the insides of the DCT system.
Side comment: my (gas powered) car’s automatic transmission is a DCT that works very much like the Honda DCT. The main (but minor) difference is that the car has dry clutches instead of wet. Anyway I never put it in neutral at a stop light.

Putting it into neutral at any time is a very bad idea. Every second counts when you need to get out of a jam. It's like having to rack a slide and take off the safety when your life is in danger.

Back