• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DDuelin's 50CC FL to CA Quest tracking site

1500 on the first leg and then 850 on the second. I'll remember that for spring break. The 1500 means you didn't sleep at all for 24 hours?

Congrats Dave. Watched your trip on Spot. It was neat seeing your progress. You really put some miles in that first day. Impressive. Glad you accomplished your goal.

Congradulations on the successful completing of the 50CC. I hope I can do it one day. However, now I just need to do the Saddle Sore 1k :)

Congratulations Dave! I followed your ride and it looked like you rested in Junction, Tx past Kerrville. Did you stay at a hotel and if so, which one? You made great time!
I did stop for gas and ice in Ozona past Kerrville around sunset which was gorgeous. Can't recall stopping in Junction. I had a reservation at the Days Inn in Van Horn TX and stopped there at 2:30 ish Eastern time for 7 hours and slept for about 4. The last 150 miles were the toughest of the trip. I was tired, it was blacker than inside a witch's hat ( the stars were magnificent though, the Milky Way a bright swash across the sky) and a good wind came up from the south and was gusting a crosswind blowing me around a bit as I got drowsy. I didn't want to pull up short of 1500 so I pulled into a rest area and walked around for about 10 minutes and splashed water in my face. That woke me up for the last miles to Van Horn.

On I-10 around Kerrville TX after dark is loaded with deer. Now that alone would have keep me wide awake. But, west Texas is best ridden at night as you did, because of the heat in the summer. From Kerrville to El Paso the only scenery you missed was desert.

I read in Ironbutt magazine about the deer problem around Kerrville. My plan would be to pull in and rest there on the first leg of the 50cc to hopefully avoid some of that critter problem. However, Daves ride (stopping in Van Horn) gives me hope that pushing further through Kerrville would ensure an easier day on the second leg of the ride when you need it most. That was a good ride Dave did, but riding through that area in the dark of night gives me the willy's since I have had some bad experience with deer on the road. Either way, congratulations and very happy you accomplished the ride. I hope to do it someday myself.

I read in Ironbutt magazine about the deer problem around Kerrville. My plan would be to pull in and rest there on the first leg of the 50cc to hopefully avoid some of that critter problem. However, Daves ride (stopping in Van Horn) gives me hope that pushing further through Kerrville would ensure an easier day on the second leg of the ride when you need it most. That was a good ride Dave did, but riding through that area in the dark of night gives me the willy's since I have had some bad experience with deer on the road. Either way, congratulations and very happy you accomplished the ride. I hope to do it someday myself.
Ironically, the only deer I saw on I-10 were in FL out in the panhandle and I've seen them there before. Grazing on the right shoulder. They are also plentiful on I-4 in the stretch north past Deltona to where 400 splits off.

Hey they,,,Congrats,,,Can you tell us your average speed and consumption...just curious!!!
I'll calculate specifics later but for the 2362 (??? If I recall) miles for the 50CC my moving average without stops was around 75 mph. Total average including all stopped time was about 56 mph. I only checked a few tanks of gas and they were 40 to 42 mpg US. Recall I am on my ST1300 not my NC700.

Well, I got to get a move on to get home on Sunday. Yesterday I left Lake Tahoe and crossed NV mostly on US50 then dropped down 487 to Cedar City UT. Fantastic views for a Floridian. I thought 50 would be perfectly straight across high desert but the scenery was varied and the road got curvy climbing the numerous passes before dropping back down into valleys. The Man upstairs sculpted some beautiful monuments out in the middle of mostly vastness and openness. The isolation was spiritual sometimes I rode for 20 miles without seeing another car or house. I had Handel's Messiah chorus on the iPod and my heart was calmed. Some things just can't be explained......Those moments alone were worth the trip out West. The route of 575 miles was across high ground and temps were really nice to me....mostly in the high 70s to low 80s. I have to make 800 today and I'm going to try for 1000. If I can then I can play a day in the verdant green Smoky Mountains one day before getting home. CO today, more later.

Well it wasn't a full day of Smoky Mountain play but at least we got in a Foothills Parkway/Tail of the Dragon. The Girl and I just got home and a thunderstorm is just getting to the house so probably a good thing we split for home from Deals gap. Glad we got in some kind of ride Dave. Looks like you made it to Waynesville tonight so your ride plan for tomorrow is intact.

Be safe and have a blast running home tomorrow Dave.

Kimball

I did have a great time and I am glad to be back in "my mountains". It's been a whirlwind trip across the continent and back in 9 days. Closing in on 6000 miles.

When I rode Kimbal's NC yesterday it was like getting on a merry go round pony. Light and skinny, playful. The Cogent suspension is definitely a good improvement. Leaned over in a 60 mph turn the road had a dip in it. I braced for the harsh fork response and inevitable change of line the bike would take but the suspension soaked it up with no change in my arc through the turn.

Today is the last 500 miles to home. I look forward to it!

Heading to the mountains for a laid back cruise myself. Unless of course Killboy shows up in WRX again and I will be obliged to become an NC bumper sticker again...Squirrel! Hope you have a fun ride Home Dave.

Having just finished my trip I can just imagine how hard you must have push yourself, especially mentally. During my final leg having to reach down inside to continue and not stop took everything I had, I know you must of had similar thoughts that you had to overcome, good work dduelin.

Back