• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DDuelin's 50CC FL to CA Quest tracking site

...DHS immigration driver's license or ID checkpoints.

Did you encounter any of the latter in AZ or NM?

I can't speak to AZ/NM, but westbound you'll have an agriculture check coming into CA - they'll probably wave you right through (assuming they're even open). Also a DHS checkpoint in the mountains once you're in San Diego County (between Buckman Springs and Sunrise Hwy exits) - unlikely that you'll have to pull out ID, typically if they don't wave you past they'll just ask where you're coming from/headed to, you'll just lose a few minutes from the slowdown going in.
Good luck!

I really like that "Spot" thing!

Safe travels Dave! If your going home route takes you through Shreveport, give me a ring (PM sent) I"ll gladly put you up and feed you!

Didn't see that you were doing this until just now.

I've done the 100+ degree rides between San Diego and Phoenix. Mesh gloves are what I use along with mesh jacket and mesh pants (ATGATT). I've used cycle gear wicking under shirt and long john pants which worked well. Best thing was the wicking hemlet liner when soaked in water immediately before heading out into the heat. A hydration pack that you can constantly sip on helps a great deal. If you have are trying to hydrate only at ride stops (fuel, bathroom) you won't drink enough to stay hydrated. Even at night time the dry desert air will suck the moisture right out of you.

If you need anything when you get to San Diego, give a holler. I'll PM you contact info. Ride safe!

Just checked his Spot location and looks like Dave rode up until 2:00 am. He is putting some miles on in his first day. Appears he may have stopped just out of El Paso. Only a little over 700 miles to go today.

Hey thanks everybody!

I had a great trip and arrived here in San Diego at 7 PM eastern time after a 3:30 AM departure yesterday. The weather although hot did not cause any problems and I had no traffic delays to speak of. There were two Border Patrol check points but both only added about 10 minutes to the 42 hours 30 minutes elapsed time. A week made a lot of difference in the weather. Last week had that late-season cold front in the south and large areas of rain and storms. This week was clear from coast to coast. I hit only smidges of rain in west FL and the hill country of TX. Texas is a big *** state. It had the highest speed limit I saw, 80 mph, but the slowest left lane drivers. Go figure. Speaking of speed, the documentation I'll submit to the IBA to record the ride completion records time and distance between stops so it's out there to see and speeding is frowned upon and may disqualify a ride so I stuck pretty much to 5 or 10 over the limit like the flow of traffic was already doing. The key is to keep moving and minimize stops and time spent at a stop. Steady wins the day not a sprint. Each stop tried to take care of personal needs and gas. I packed apples and granola bars I could eat on the fly and only stopped for one meal break at a MacDonalds (and it was part of the station I picked). Stops were like 8 to 15 minutes except for the hour at the MacDonalds stop.

I almost did a 50CC several years ago (life prevented me from taking the time off from work and family) and a lot of the planning was already done for this including the 1510 mile portion from Jacksonville Beach, FL to Van Horn, TX, a lay over of 7 hours, then today's ride of 850 miles. Once Day One of 1522 miles was in the bag it made today's ride of 850 easier to accomplish.

For the heat I prepared as I usually do with one exception. Standard hot weather riding for me is wicking layers under a solid textile riding suit. I brought mesh along in case conditions favor it but for temps over 95F solid textile apparel works better for me. After 700 miles the temps hit 100 or more and stayed high. Today in AZ and desert CA it was 105. The exception was a tip another long distance rider gave me. I bought a 8 or 10 lb bag of ice every gas stop and after refilling my 1 gallon thermos water jug with ice I slipped the rest of the ice, still in the bag, in my suit. It does just fit. Pressed against my shirt and lap of my pants it cools the body like you wouldn't believe. As the melt water leaks out of the bag it soaked my clothing with cold water. With the vents in the suit bringing in air to evaporate the water it feels so good for about three hours or just about till the next stop. Amazingly I really wasn't that hot - really! For water I fitted a bite valve and a long hose to my thermos and continually sipped ice water to stay hydrated. The heat was not an issue.

Great job. I think it was smart to leave at 3:30am. Riding I-10, I do not worry as much hitting a deer at night, and the night is a lot cooler. Glad you were able to finish your dream.

Congratulations Dave! I followed your ride and it looked like you rested in Junction, Tx past Kerrville. Did you stay at a hotel and if so, which one? You made great time!

Congrats Dave!! That's one heck of a ride! I was thinking of you on my ride home from work yesterday while it was about 100degs up here in Central California. I got one of those Camel Back hydration back packs for the hotter commutes home now. Makes it a lot better when I can fill it with cold water before my commute and drink during the stop lights.

Congrats Dave! I'm glad you had an uneventful and expeditious ride! ;)

How do you think the NC would have handled it? I know you were probably easily going a bit faster than I would have pushed my NC.

Back