• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dealership Buying Experiences

PHX-AZ-700X

Reaction score
Visit site
I will be purchasing my NC700X before the end of September, and I was wondering what everyone's experience was like...OTD price, what deals you got (e.g, free first service, free accessories, etc). I live in the Phoenix AZ area, and I have been looking for a used bike, but there aren't many in my area. Anyone have any good (or bad) experiences with local PHX dealerships?

I found it identical to buying a new car. The more quotes you get the better. If one dealer has a better service dept. that you think you will be using then try to use that as a bargaining chip. End of the month or a quarter or a year helps you bargain so that the dealer can get rid of it before he has to carry it over to the next period. Leftovers can be a bargain too. One big difference is that invoice prices are hard to come by unless you know someone. You are already using the best tool which is this forum. Search for threads discussing what people paid.

I live in California, and after writing to many Cal dealers, I found Coyote Honda in Phoenix.
My local dealers wanted $9,000, and Coyote sold one for (OTD) $7,300!
I can't say enough good things about Coyote Honda.

(no, they didn't pay me. My opinion isn't for sale.)

Good question! Went to the dealership here in town - I walked in, they had one, I bought it - was Aug 2012. Next closest dealership is ~100-135 miles away. Looked it up - Sales Tax form says $7384 - didn't include any free service or any accessories but they gave me a free helmet - maybe worth $100. Credit was good enough so got approval on Honda 1.99% financing for 36 mo - that's cheap money.

In a rural area, just being able to get one is worth something - I bought the only 2012 NC700X they got. From what I've heard they sold one 2013 and were able to get one more, not sure if it sold yet.

Last edited:
I have a great relationship with my dealer. They are about 4 miles from my house. I've bought 2 new ATVs from them, tires, accessories, etc. When I was shopping for my Rubicon (my first ATV), I looked at other dealerships (Jeff City, Rolla, etc) and all added a bunch of (to me) unnecessary fees, so their 'listed' price was not OTD. I walked into Hilkemeyers (my dealer) and asked about their OTD and he told me X amount, which is what was on the sale tag on the handlebar. I then 'pressed' him for the actual OTD, and he said that the price listed is what it is OTD...no fees. Since I didn't have a trailer yet, they delivered it to my house free of charge. When it was time to buy my wife her Rincon, I went back there, told him what I wanted and then had my wife go with me to test ride it. She liked it so I took it home the next day. On both ATVs, the first service was free except for the cost of oil.

Fast forward to last year when I was looking at bikes. Since I knew NOTHING about bikes, they pointed me to the BRC course to get comfy with it. I then had them order me a CRF250L (I hadn't heard of the NC700X yet). About a week later, I saw the NC700X and went back to the dealer and told him what I read and wanted that instead. He went ahead and ordered that (no down payment), all the while still having the 250L on order (he didn't cancel). Since he wasn't sure when he would get mine in, he bartered with a dealer in St. Robert who had 2 of them, both in crates. He went and got it and set it up for me. And it was $6599 OTD! He did end up selling the CRF250L about a month after he received it, and the original NC700X he ordered for me didn't last long either.

Needless to say, my dealer is top-notch!

You can find out what the dealers pay for the bike, but maybe not what they're hold back incentive is. Then maybe add $0 to $200 to that and that's probably the lowest price you'll get them down to. For example, the 2012 manual NC700Xs were supposedly dealer cost $6399 with list $6999. Some dealers were actually selling them for $6399 plus tax, title, and license. But maybe that dealer was too far away, so you just start calling or visiting close dealers and get their bottom line. I called a couple dozen dealers. In the end you may settle for paying $200 or so more just for the convenience of a closer dealer, or maybe you're lucky and you get the rock bottom deal close by.

Dealer prep and freight is just fluff to pad the price. You can push that aside right away. I've never paid freight or prep; it's just rolled into the motorcycle pricing.

I'm not into the add-ons and "freebies" or financing. Just give me the bike and I'm on my way, thank you. Also, deals that include getting "10% off accessories" are silly because you can usually buy Honda parts and accessories for 18 to 25% off list on-line anytime.

Like someone else said, buying at the end of a quarter or at year's end might get you a better deal due to incentive for a salesman or dealer to make quotas.

As always, buying used from a private seller is by far a better deal, but opportunities for used NC700s are a bit rare.

Greg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I figured it would be the same as car buying, just far cheaper. Hopefully less paperwork.

I plan on sending an email to all the local Phoenix dealerships (there are at least a dozen Honda dealers in AZ). I will let them bid against each other for the best price. I will be able to put at least $5000 cash into the bike, and I have near perfect credit, so financing will not be an issue.

I want the bike with the center stand, 12v plug, and the rear mounts for the top case (side cases will be down the road). I don't mind paying for the center stand and rear luggage mounts, but I find it idiotic to pay over $100 for a 12v plug and some wire just because Honda "makes" it.

I would love to find a used one with some accessories already installed, but there aren't too many within 500 miles. I look everyday.

Having options like that - certainly play them against each other. You'll want a place you're comfortable with though - to drop your girl off, get her serviced, and then have your way with her. Price isn't everything, trust and piece of mind is worth something. The options and accessories are easy to install.

I've never tried to deal by email. Maybe that works, but I would think personal phone calls and even better, showing up in person would net the best deal.

As for them bidding against each other, that's fine. There are simply dealers that want to sell high volume, and dealers that want to sell high price. I think they already have decided their particular strategy and their bottom price, regardless of what haggling the buyer might do. Your job is just to locate the dealer willing to sell for the price you're willing to pay.

The 12 volt outlet from Honda is high price, but to install it they have to order three different assemblies. That doesn't necessarily justify the high price, but that's what it is.

Greg

I've never tried to deal by email. Maybe that works, but I would think personal phone calls and even better, showing up in person would net the best deal.

Wow! I dread salesman of any variety. When I started searching for an NC700x dealer, I did it entirely by email. I left messages on their web sites. Those who didn't respond, I just wrote off. Fortunately, a few did reply by email.
I admire those who can "deal" but I ARE NOT one of them!

Thanks for all the info. I figured it would be the same as car buying, just far cheaper. Hopefully less paperwork.

I plan on sending an email to all the local Phoenix dealerships (there are at least a dozen Honda dealers in AZ). I will let them bid against each other for the best price. I will be able to put at least $5000 cash into the bike, and I have near perfect credit, so financing will not be an issue.

I want the bike with the center stand, 12v plug, and the rear mounts for the top case (side cases will be down the road). I don't mind paying for the center stand and rear luggage mounts, but I find it idiotic to pay over $100 for a 12v plug and some wire just because Honda "makes" it.

I would love to find a used one with some accessories already installed, but there aren't too many within 500 miles. I look everyday.
Someone posted a week or so ago about the NCX losing popularity & that's why there are a number of used ones for sale. However, I certainly don't find that to be the case here in SE AZ. I bought mine used from a Tucson dealer w/2000 mi. A quick look at Craigslist finds a used one in Mesa with 1200 mi for $6000. Also showing a number of new ones with a wide range of prices which I suspect is due to some being standard and some auto.

jelo notes you need to be careful with a used one but after participating in this forum for a couple of months, seems like the bike is pretty bullet proof. At 1200 mi, I'd not think there could be much that the bike had been through, unless it had been dropped in which case a close inspection should find signs of that.

Finally in terms of what a dealer will sell one for, there is another thread on this forum which discussed it a bit. The conclusion seemed to be the margin on these bikes is pretty small and you may not be able to get one for much less than list. But of course, it doesn't hurt to ask. All they can do is say "No."

I've had a few choice words with sales people inc car's.
if they haven't a clue about any thing on what I'm about to buy..I just ask for the manager..***'s soon start to flap!!
one guy I ask what is the on the road price for that new car..he promply walked over to the car and pointed to the label.
I thought you cheeky bast**ds so I spoke the manager and told him what I thought and because of his atTiTude you've just lost your sale and walked out!
and bought another new car else where.
I turned up at the dealership and showed the manager ..see that car? that would've have been bought from here.
£12000 worth!

My 2012 had ~550 miles, a Two Brothers pipe, tall Honda windscreen, foam grips and adjustable folding clutch/brake levers. Easily over $500 in add ons.

The dealer wanted 6K but I offered less and we met at $5500. In my experience, a dealer will almost always drop $500 from the asking price without even batting an eye and you can make a deal within minutes. Getting them to go lower usually involves walking out and coming back another day unless they have some motivation. Given the price, miles and remaining factory warranty on the bike I bought, I wasn't willing to walk and I'm sure they knew they could sell it, just not that day.

I think the dealer was partially motivated to move the bike due to remaining inventory and the pending release of the 750. It also appeared as if someone bought the bike, wasn't happy with it and brought it back for something else so they had already made a decent amount off of the original purchaser.

I did purchase some accessories with my bike and they knocked the price down significantly on everything I bought with the bike. That's pretty normal and applies to factory accessories and riding gear with most dealers. This dealer also cut the shop rate for installation to just what the mechanics make and capped that at an hour of time no matter how long it takes. This way I don't have to tear everything down and put it back together to install everything. I would have saved some money doing it myself but now I just need to drop the bike off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon. If anything is installed wrong they can't void my warranty.

FWIW, I purchased the factory heated grips, power outlet, misc crap required for those, the rear carrier and a Givi V47 Monokey trunk & adapter.
Dealers can offer a better discount on Honda luggage than Givi and I would have saved some $. The Honda luggage also uses your bike key, but the Givi can be moved to my VFR and the Honda trunk can't so that was the deciding factor for me.

*edit*
Now is probably a good time to talk dealers down in price because of the new 750 or you can wait until the factory incentives kick in on the old models.
Look for a dealer with several in stock as they might be more willing to negotiate. But then, they might have that inventory because they are less willing to deal so who knows.

Last edited:
I like Coyote Honda. A lot. Kris has ALWAYS been straightforward and honest with me, so he's the one I talk to about bikes. I bought mine last fall. I'd been in to Coyote before, for a filter or this or that for the CBR, but one day last summer they had a fully-loaded NCX on the showroom floor. It took me a little while to decide that changing from a CBR to the NCX was what I wanted to do, but once I got there, I told Kris I was ready to buy. I have a couple 'hot-buttons' or 'triggers' when it comes to the way the automotive (including bikes) sales business usually works. I let him know about those, and asked him to just give me the final figure; all taxes, fees, and everything included. He did that within about 30 seconds, and it was a truly great deal. I'm considering a small 4-wheeler suitable for both the kids and us before too much longer, and Coyote's where I'll go to get it.

I did visit and talk to a number of other dealers from basically Scottsdale west, and Coyote was clearly the right place for me.

Last edited:
I live in California, and after writing to many Cal dealers, I found Coyote Honda in Phoenix.
My local dealers wanted $9,000, and Coyote sold one for (OTD) $7,300!
I can't say enough good things about Coyote Honda.

(no, they didn't pay me. My opinion isn't for sale.)

This is also where I went due to the sale they were having on 2012 models prior to the 2013 model launch. Service was typical dealership sales stuff. Very fake and turned me off, but I stuck around for the price, which was approximately $7100 after all the fees/taxes.

I've heard good things about North Valley Honda, but haven't been there myself. I had requested quotes from them and it took a couple months to get a response, so not too impressed there. Will be interested to hear what your experience ends up being.

Bought mine at Western Honda. Traded in a 2005 650 V-Star that I couldn't seem to give away since it hat 40,000 miles (sorry, I ride my stuff). Gave me an out the door price that I was happy with. Got all the Honda luggage and a tall windscreen plus installation of all accessories OTD for $7,000.00. Probably could have haggled a bit, but I'm not really great in that department. Did the deal on a handshake. Expected to go to actually do the deal and have them try to rip me off for something or other, but never happened. Was treated great, no complaints at all. Being a 55 year old female who did the deal without my husband present, I can say that everyone there, from salesman to the owner who chatted with me while I waited for my bike to get prepped was totally courteous and professional. Stay away from the RideNow dealerships at all costs.

Back