• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Deciding on Bikes

Arkridia

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been reading everything I can on adventure bikes and I have decided this is one to consider. I do have a couple of questions for those that ride this bike. First, what made you decide on this bike? Second question, what mods have you had to do to make it comfortable for you. (I am 5 foot 7) for comparison because I know if your 5' your probably put lowing blocks on it. Third question if you had to do it over would you buy this bike again if not why? The next question I have for now is how expensive are the parts to repair compared to say BMW or other bikes. Finally, how often do you have problems with the bike's engine or transmission?
Thank you,
Arkridia

I have been reading everything I can on adventure bikes and I have decided this is one to consider. I do have a couple of questions for those that ride this bike. First, what made you decide on this bike? Second question, what mods have you had to do to make it comfortable for you. (I am 5 foot 7) for comparison because I know if your 5' your probably put lowing blocks on it. Third question if you had to do it over would you buy this bike again if not why? The next question I have for now is how expensive are the parts to repair compared to say BMW or other bikes. Finally, how often do you have problems with the bike's engine or transmission?
Thank you,
Arkridia

1. I bought it for the sake of the piston engine design. It looked like it might be innovative and long lasting.
2. The #1 comfort mod is to replace the seat. "Sargent" brand if you're poor, "Russel Day-Long" if you're not.
3. Yes, I would buy this bike again, and I plan to when/IF my 2012 fails in some major way.

Repair: Mechanics tell me it's easy to work on.
I can do oil, oil-filter, air-filter, chain, sprockets, myself. I have to pay someone to do tires and valve adjustments.
in 100,000 miles, the only engine parts needing replacement were the clutch and the coolant pump.

Consider carefully what surface you ride on 90% of the time. Buy something that fits that surface.

If you plan to go off road more than Interstate, then the NC is not the best choice.
My idea of adventure riding is 200 miles on Interstates followed by 10 miles on a hard packed dirt road to get to a camping spot. The NC does that very well.

That's just one person's anecdotal opinion.

I bought the bike because it was practical. It included a storage compartment to carry things to work without having to wear a back pack or buy cases. It was good on gas. It wasn't crazy fast so I felt I was less likely to drive too fast and get into trouble.

I have done the Madstad windshield and Givi crash bars.

I would buy my 700S again as it fits my height better.

I can't comment on the cost of repairs relative to other bikes as I have not owned them. To date I have learned how to do most of the maintenance myself to help keep down the cost of ownership. I have invested in tools versus shop time.

I have not had any problems with the engine or transmission in 2.5 seasons of riding. The only issue I have had that made me worried is when the clutch seemed to be acting weird. It turned out that the lock screw for the clutch lever had loosened and the fix was a simple readjustment.

Make a pro con list of the bikes that you are considering. Then pick the one that you like the best justified by your list :). At times we can overgeneralize things.

First, I'd consider the NC700X an adventure "styled" bike. It can be modified for medium adventure duty, but in stock form it is really a commuter or "Universal Japanese Motorcycle." I bought this bike because of the engine and the philosophy behind it's design. The bike handles well with it's low center of gravity, and is mid sized and appropriate for single rider use. The engine has a real world usable power band, and is very efficient. Because of that, I was willing to overlook some less desirable traits, like the small fuel tank, too short front fender, stupid looking tail design, chain drive, poor stock seat, etc.

I'm 5' 8". Reaching the ground is not a problem. An aftermarket or modified seat, as well as a taller windscreen are the primary comfort mods, followed by suspension improvements.

My experience with OEM renewal parts is limited to several brands, but I can say that Honda parts are the most reasonably price among the OEMs I've dealt with.

Would I buy the bike again? Yes. I did. I own two 2012s, each modified in slightly different ways.

I have never had problems with the engine or transmission. Both of mine have manual transmissions.

Last edited:
Hmmn, a pattern is developing.

Hondas generally are reliable motorcycles with inexpensive service needs. The NC700/750s in particular were designed from the outset to be very efficient practical motorcycles. Short on drama and long on economical service. There are other 650/750 class bikes that appeal to a faster crowd but not to a more cerebral crowd. I've ridden a long time and I first saw the 700X in 2011 I saw a bike that looked the adventure part in style but would be economical and fun to ride in the long run. Nothing has changed that first impression in about 50,000 miles of ownership. I use it mostly for day riding within 200 miles of home but once or twice a year I take it on tours of up to 3000 or 4000 miles.

I have bought two NC700Xs - a 2012 manual transmission which I traded for a brief affair with a Triumph Tiger 800. I sold the Tiger after a year and went back to another NC, a 2015 DCT model. I'd buy another one except I plan on keeping this one. Made that mistake once.

The seat is often mentioned as needing change or upgrade. I'm no different. Raising the front of the stock seat worked well for me but eventually I bought an aftermarket seat. I also added risers to raise the handlebars and move them back towards me a little bit. The stock windshield is rather small, a larger one by Madstad and heated grips made the bike lots more comfortable for me and allows those long rides. I also added some auxiliary lighting to make me more visible to other motorists.

I've owned two BMWs. The service parts may or may not be more expensive than Honda prices depending on what part you are talking about. For regular maintenance (chains, sprockets, filters, spark plugs) I'd not pick one over the other except that over the fullness of time and over many owners Honda has generally built a reputation of not needing many repairs and being more reliable.

I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam.

Arkridia...tell us more about your riding style/habits! I think we could pinpoint what you may be looking for.

I recently bought a used 2013 NC700 with DCT, mainly because I have really gotten into these "adventure-type" motorcycles. I have always been a cruiser-guy but jumping on my friend's Triumph Tiger, and then riding a V-strom at A.I.M. made me think twice about them. I just traded my V-strom in for the NC. I've been riding the hell out of the NC.

I also own (my main ride and love!) the Honda CTX700. They're basically the same, exact thing - engine wise. The difference, obviously, is the style. The CTX is a "sport/cruiser. Very nimble, comfortable and forgiving! To me the CTX made riding "fun" again!

My thoughts on the NC...a super fun bike to ride, extremely easy maintenance, and besides the basic oil changes/chain cleaning and lubing there's not much you're going to have to do that any other motorcycle would need. Even the valves are easy to get to. The worst part of both the NC and CTX is the plastics! But if you get yourself a Service Manual, Honda shows you step-by-step how to do EVERYTHING!!!

Decide what kind of riding you'll be doing most of (highway, city, touring, off-road) then go from there.

Let us know what you decide!

NC7++x is an adventure style bike. Of course every bike can be taken offroad and trashed. But this is more a commuter bike.

For more rugged Adventure bikes without spending on replacing all suspension and rims etc, consider the normal suspects BMW, KTM, Vstrom, AT....

NC700x to me was cheap cheap cheap for lots of value.
In the end, I believe I broke it by driving it too hard although "too hard" is hard to quantify.

Would I buy this again? Only if I want a commuter bike. And only if I can have 2 bikes.
I am loving my GSA now.
And please ....I must say NC is a great commuter and "decent speed" bike. Not terribly exciting.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I would not put the Vstrom in the adventure bike category.

The NC is a great everyday bike, and a very decent road trip bike.

Thank you,
Arkridia

What do you plan to use this bike for? I would answer that question for myself before seeking other advice. I use the bike strictly for commuting at it is perfect for that situation. My modifications are based on my needs for commuting.

I upgraded the seat and windscreen plus added heated grips, centerstand, topbox, saddle bags, riding lights, phone carrier, 12V socket, and a dual heat controller.

A person that uses the bike for different purposes might and probably will have different upgrades.

[...because I know if your 5' your probably put lowing blocks on it...]

You're really showing your age when you use the term "lowering blocks"!

I do not plan in taking it through fields I have an ATV for that. I want a bike to travel with that has good suspension for dirt roads and rough paved roads with a trip once a year out of state.

If you are ~160 lbs or less you might be okay with the stock suspension, I'm quite a bit larger so I invested in a system designed for my size.

Made a huge difference for me.

Thank you,
Arkridia

Congrats on narrowing your decision to the NC700X or NC750X. It is a great bike, most of us on this forum use it as a "Commuter". There a smaller group that do use theirs for off-road use.

Answer your questions:

1. It was the Frunk (a.k.a Front Storage Compartment) and the DCT option that got me to consider and purchase this bike.

2. I seriously lost count of how many accessories and upgrades I did to this bike after 30 items. Please refer to the below images.

IMG_4673.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

3. I would definitely purchase this bike again or another one if something were to happen to my current one. It is a reliable machine, has enough power to head down the highway and it is fun to ride, especially with the optional DCT. The center of gavity makes the bike manueverable in many riding situations. There's bunches of aftermarket accessories and a few good Hondaline accessories available for this bike too.

4. I personally have not run into any sticker shock surprises when I take the bike to the dealer for scheduled maintenance that I do not perform myself. Most maintenance intervals are 8,000 miles apart and very on the recommended services to be performed.

5. I personally have not encountered any major issues with the bike. It has been usually tires only and routine maintenance. I had to replace the 4-year battery not that long ago, other than that there has been nothing to report mechanical wise.

I hope this information helps you with your motorcycle sole search.

Last edited:
What's your thoughts on having a DCT? I think that's a major factor for many. Not having to shift due to whatever reason(s) (carpal tunnel, bad foot, etc...) can be a deal-breaker with any other motorcycle as Honda is the only current brand offering this.

If the DCT is not an issue, have you looked at the V-stroms? I really loved my V-strom 650. Most of the V-strom owners choose the 650 as they claim it's got plenty of power. The V-strom, IMO, is a much better off-road motorcycle.

Then there's the Versys, which is more like the NC700. From the motorcycle.com guys, the Versys handles better than the NC and V-strom, although the NC was pretty close. They also gave the NC a bump for better gas mileage, if that's a concern.

So, unless you want a bigger motorcycle with more power, IMO, I think that these 3 mentioned in this post are the ones you should be looking at.

***I'll also mention the BMW's and the Triumphs, although I know little about them.

Here's a decent review of the three mentioned above:

2015 Urbane Adventurers Shootout - YouTube

I like this article. It helped me decide to buy two NC's. One each for my two oldest daughter's. One tours and the other is married and commutes to town and back. One is a standard and one a DCT. The one with the DCT wasn't sure if she would like the DCT. After one summer she loves it. She just rides and doesn't think about shifting.

AltRider Taste of Dakar Rally 2013 - Honda NC700X Off-Roading

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have a three ring binder with 160 pages of every magazine or blog review of the NC700X that was in print and that I could copy up to about 2014. Also pages and pages of Honda technical papers related to it. That was collected just a little over 2 years. There are several shoot out type comparisons in there and honestly the NC almost always loses out, at least to the involved journalists, to another bike or bikes in class. I have my own set of criteria however and in my review these reviews are hopelessly narrow minded. Honda plowed their own furrow with the NC concept and IMHO there is nothing else in it's class so for me the qualities of the NC far outweigh the negatives. I rode every bike I considered the gang of suspects at least once (Weestrom 3 times and the Versys twice) and from my POV I'd rather own nothing else.

In my case the NC does not have to do everything as I am blessed to own more than 1 motorcycle. What it does do though it does well and it's just quirky enough to fit my at times contrary nature. NC fits perfectly into my garage.

Back