• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Decision - NC700X vs. CB500X

There are at least several of us here that have or will hit ~20,000 miles on an NC700 in a year or less - It is a great bike for that kind of use - and cheap for the level of quality and spirited ride while still being economical. Your described use - not quite that many miles - and interests - ABS, lower cost, . . . - would lead me to think that the benefits of having the more expensive of the two might not be noticed / appreciated. No offense, just my thoughts.

Last edited:
I've been commuting on a DCT for exactly a year now. I'm sure the 500 is a wonderful bike too, but i don't think you can beat the NC700x DCT. No problems at all in parking lots. It's the best as far as I can tell for commuting in the city.

I too am trying to decide, not ridden any yet, but just looking I would have gone for the X in both,
but sit on them in the showroom and it.s the NC700S or CB500X the others just don't fit me as well,
the CB being the best, fits me like a glove, though the NC700S is not far behind, strange as my last
3 or 4 bikes have been of the big trail bike sort, next job it to ride both but do go and have a sit on
all the models as they do feel quite different.

Once you Frunk, you never go back.

I love the "dayum!!" look on people's faces when we are done looking over the bike and its time to ride away and I open the frunk and pull out my helmet. I always close with that move....

I love the "dayum!!" look on people's faces when we are done looking over the bike and its time to ride away and I open the frunk and pull out my helmet. I always close with that move....

heh heh, it still is a novel thing, and people who are the slightest bit curious or at least aware of their surroundings, can definitely take on a bemused look ;)

My frunk was once the object of much pointing gesticulation and amazed conversation in a Safeway parking lot, when I was bringing back some soda cans for refund/recycle.

It was a 24 pack of Coke Zero. Of course the container wouldn't fit in the frunk "as is", so what I did was to carefully install the 24 empty cans as efficiently as possible in the frunk, with only a few being a bit squished. The cardboard container got folded up and wedged on top. This doesn't quite work with full cans, unfortunately, darn it.

When I opened the frunk, I noticed a large family in a minivan parked next to me, looking on with curiousity. I was chuckling to beat the band, when I unfolded the cardboard to it's normal large rectangle, and then slowly started to pull out can, after can, after can, (I made this process a little more dramatic and deliberately showy, lol) and put inside the box.

I felt like one of those Magician dudes with the never ending scarf they pull out of their sleeves or something, ha ha.

Well, I love to start relaxed singlehanded at traffic stops or crossings (scratching my head^h^hlmet with left hand?)

In a German magazine there currently is an exhaustive comparison between NC700S and CB500F that is pretty much to the point.
Amazingly the CB consumes less fuel. On the other hand, the NC engine is stronger by 2HP (despite its identical peak performance spec).
Acceleration values differ, depending on speed range. Basically the CB is a little quicker from 0-100kph, while the NC is faster.

Despite its massive overweight the NC does not handle any worse due to its low COG, they say.
But they claim the NC build quality looks better.

As to the engine characteristics, this needs to be decided individually. Those used to riding "normal bikes" will probably prefer the smaller CB engine with its conservative peak performance chart and no danger of hitting the rev limiter.

(I personally prefer the NC engine, due to the fact I am used to riding thumpers, which is a perfect match. However, that is just me :)

I have been having an internal debate about these two bikes over the last month. I have been interested in the NC700X since first reading about it.
I went to test ride the NC and they had a CB500X in the shop. Shop said take em both out for a spin so who am I to argue! I took the CB out before I road the NC. Bit of a mistake...
Loved the CB, thought it had great power, felt light and hitting the twisties I was really enjoying myself. Got on the NC directly after and it felt slow turning and like I was riding a road train. I was all prepared to buy the NC when I went to the shop and I had to walk out confused and have been for the last month..so what did i do? Pretty obvious since Ive signed up to this forum.
Picked up an NC 2 days ago. Decision was partly made by a great deal that came up but the truth is its the right decision for me. The CB wooed me with its "play" factor but that was exactly what I wasn't looking for in another bike (I have another bike that covers the thrill factor, if I was looking at only owning one bike and wanted something I could throw around a bit more maybe the CB would have been a better choice, or to be fair maybe it wouldn't even be a CB).
Anyhow after 2 days I already know this bike will not leave my stable till it is well exhausted and that I hope is many many many moons away.
Incidentally I road down to the shops today to get a 6pack and some groceries, the girl at the counter looked at me and the bike and said you will need some bags? I smiled and said that's fine I have a system.. The Frunk is priceless!

heh heh, it still is a novel thing, and people who are the slightest bit curious or at least aware of their surroundings, can definitely take on a bemused look ;)

My frunk was once the object of much pointing gesticulation and amazed conversation in a Safeway parking lot, when I was bringing back some soda cans for refund/recycle.

It was a 24 pack of Coke Zero. Of course the container wouldn't fit in the frunk "as is", so what I did was to carefully install the 24 empty cans as efficiently as possible in the frunk, with only a few being a bit squished. The cardboard container got folded up and wedged on top. This doesn't quite work with full cans, unfortunately, darn it.

When I opened the frunk, I noticed a large family in a minivan parked next to me, looking on with curiousity. I was chuckling to beat the band, when I unfolded the cardboard to it's normal large rectangle, and then slowly started to pull out can, after can, after can, (I made this process a little more dramatic and deliberately showy, lol) and put inside the box.

I felt like one of those Magician dudes with the never ending scarf they pull out of their sleeves or something, ha ha.

I once bought a 16 piece family meal at Popeyes at Renton. The cashier handed me the big bag of food with a puzzled look. Ummm, sir. are you on a bike? Are you able to bring all these food home? I picked up my helmet with one hand and the sake of food with another. I then said "yah, I got it" and promptly walked away. I could feel all the eyeballs staring at me as I walked toward the parking lot. :cool:

My local once-a-month day touring club had our August outing yesterday. The day was a scorcher and I knew I would be buying lots of bottled water or Oolong tea at convenience stores all day, and part of the time having them warm from the frunk. Not caring for the expense or the unchilled drinks, I decided to drag out a big Coleman insulated jug and fill it at home. I have a 45 liter Givi top case, but where would the fun be in hauling anything out of that? (Plus I didn't want it sloshing around back there).

A couple of people were along with us for the first time, but even the people who knew about the frunk all reacted with bug-eyed amazement when I reached into the frunk and hauled out that big insulated jug. In the afternoon one of the guys asked if it was still cool, so I shook it and let him hear all the ice clinking together.

It was also fun to do my usual sitting off to the side at the gas station while everybody else tanked up near the turnaround point. I was only down one bar at the time, so I knew getting back home wasn't going to be a problem.

Last edited:
Sounds like it was a good ride. But every ride is a good ride!

Sure would like some pictures from Japan!

jazusuny.jpg

The only one I took all day. An overpriced curry in the tourist trap we went to.

Back