• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

did my first oil change

buckshot

Reaction score
Visit site
And the only thing I really have to say is what a dumb place to put a drain bolt. Sideways between the pan and exhaust....:confused:
Good thing I let the bike sit for about 30 mins before getting at it, otherwise I'd have a few interesting burns to explain to the lads at work.
Everything else was very straightforward. Lower fairing bolts came out without a lot of fuss, and I didn't need to butcher the filter.
Just used a honda filter for the change, and Lucas 5-30 synthetic. I wanted to use Amsoil 10-40 synthetic, but the parts store only had 2 quarts of it. Oh well, next time.

I did my first oil change a couple days ago hot. I used a large crescent wrench to remove the filter and with limited rotational space, I burned my finger on the catalytic converter when filter released suddenly.

The filter was no bid deal for me, I've got a bunch of large, plastic oil filter sockets for automotive filters. The smallest one fit perfect. It was just the drain bolt that got to me.

I get k&n filters mainly for the wrench off design on the end.
ate6y6eq.jpg

At least there aren't 6,000 brands of oil filters to chose from. I'm surly not a k&n loyalist. If a cheaper one had a nut on the end that would be the one I used.

Glad your first change went well!

Am I the only person on here who hasn't seen a need to remove any plastic to change the oil or filter? :confused:

Nope. I did my initial oil/filter change without removing any plastic. I think it would have been tight if I used a longer filter, but with the 2.5" purolator, it was a snap. I also was surprised to find that the ginormous filter tightener at Honda had the day off when mine was installed...:cool:

Glad your first change went well!

Am I the only person on here who hasn't seen a need to remove any plastic to change the oil or filter? :confused:

My bike is 200 miles old and, just for the hell of it and because it take 15 minutes, I did the first oil and filter change at 80 miles having heard that the most of engine wear happens and production of metal fragments happens in this period. Probably completely unnecessary as the filter should catch and hold everything anyway way. Here in the UK the genuine Honda filter has its end as one big nut and you just slip the correct socket tool over it and use a ratchet handle. Filter came off with no fuss and there was no need to remove the engine cowl.

Back