• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Drive sprocket question.

backtochain

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there supposed to be some play with the drive sprocket or is it supposed to be ridged?

Noticed some side to side motion after removing the chain on that output shaft.

Thanks in advance...Craig.

The bolt is torqued to specs. There is just a little slop. Do not want to attempt removing it if I don't have to.

Thanks pismocycleguy.

The front (small) sprocket is designed with some end play on the splined shaft. I'm not sure of the spec, but every chain drive bike I've owned has been like this. It allows the sprocket to accommodate some movement with the chain . This is why the sprocket is on a splined shaft and not hard-fastened. The bolt and washer at the end of the shaft are just there to keep the sprocket from walking off the shaft, they don't actually secure the sprocket rigidly to the shaft.

If you are talking about the rear (larger) sprocket, it is also not hard mounted to the wheel. The sprocket hub is surrounded by rubber cushions which in turn turn the wheel. This is called a cush drive. It absorbs some of the impact and vibration of the chain drive, shifting, engine pulsation, etc and makes the drivetrain components last longer.

At any rate, both sprockets should have a little play. The front sprocket has in/out play on the shaft. The rear sprocket assy has a little rotational play within the wheel.

Last edited:
The front (small) sprocket is designed with some end play on the splined shaft. I'm not sure of the spec, but every chain drive bike I've owned has been like this. It allows the sprocket to accommodate some movement with the chain . This is why the sprocket is on a splined shaft and not hard-fastened. The bolt and washer at the end of the shaft are just there to keep the sprocket from walking off the shaft, they don't actually secure the sprocket rigidly to the shaft.

If you are talking about the rear (larger) sprocket, it is also not hard mounted to the wheel. The sprocket hub is surrounded bu rubber cushions which in turn turn the wheel. This is called a cush drive. It absorbs some of the impact and vibration of the chain drive, shifting, engine pulsation, etc and makes the drivetrain components last longer.

At eny rate, both sprockets should have a little play. The front sprocket has in/out play on the shaft. The rear sprocket assy has a little rotational play within the wheel.

Thank you very much , I assumed this was normal but better to know for sure. It does make sense to have some forgiveness with chain/sprocket drive train.
Thanks OCR for the schematic. See you in Ark one of these days. Or maybe Texas , not much further and my daughter just moved to Austin.

Thanks again to all for your assistance...safe travels...Craig.

Last edited:
I have found that on some of my bikes there is play and on some there is none. The bikes without play have a very large nut tightened directly on to the shaft with a seriously high torque setting. It also has a security tab which is fastened around the flats of the nut. On others there is a plate that is bolted directly on to the sprocket with two small bolts that are fastened with Loctite. That type always has some play.

I have found that on some of my bikes there is play and on some there is none. The bikes without play have a very large nut tightened directly on to the shaft with a seriously high torque setting. It also has a security tab which is fastened around the flats of the nut. On others there is a plate that is bolted directly on to the sprocket with two small bolts that are fastened with Loctite. That type always has some play.

Good info , Thanks Grump.

See part number 1. If these rubber shims are bad the rear sprocket has some movement. The rubber shims have to be replaced.

View attachment 18585

Those rubber shims are commonly known as a "cush drive," and they will always have a little bit of play in them as they are in fact rubber. They're designed to soften the impact of going on/off throttle.

The entire sprocket carrier group -- along with the cush drive will wiggle a little bit when the wheel is off and you are tugging on it from side to side. If the sprocket itself is moving, try tightening the bolts.

I've never seen a cush drive wear to need replacement, for what it's worth.

Yes , discovered this when removing rear wheel to take down to shop to have Michelin PR4's mounted. Didn't even know they were there until I picked up the wheel to place in the car trunk and found the hub removes easily exposing the cushion blocks. So I just left those parts behind and took the rest to the shop. I'm sure the blocks as well play a roll in absorbing vibration evident in a chain driven system.

Back