• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dual Clutch Transmission Change Pedal Kit

Hi Techie, this is neat and all but I can't figure out why. Don't the little paddle shifter things work well? Being that I've never owned an auto trans motorcycle, I thought the whole, paddle shift or don't shift at all was the point. Of course I can kind of see it as a training device to get someone used to toe shifting so that they could move to a manual trans bike. Just wondering.

C.J.

+1
Three of the five people in my BRC class had never ridden a motorcycle before, and two of them had never driven a manual transmission of any kind. By the end of the second day we were all doing fine. Shifting a bike is one of those things, I think, that seems a lot more intimidating than it turns out to be. If you wanted to switch to a manual, would you really need a transitional step?

Of course, everyone's a little different so don't take it the wrong way. Just echoing Cutter's curiosity.

Hi Techie, this is neat and all but I can't figure out why. Don't the little paddle shifter things work well? Being that I've never owned an auto trans motorcycle, I thought the whole, paddle shift or don't shift at all was the point. Of course I can kind of see it as a training device to get someone used to toe shifting so that they could move to a manual trans bike. Just wondering.

C.J.

The paddle/button shufting works just fine on D/S/M. I'm ok with either. Might be a future opportunity for tinkering, hehehe :)

+1
Three of the five people in my BRC class had never ridden a motorcycle before, and two of them had never driven a manual transmission of any kind. By the end of the second day we were all doing fine. Shifting a bike is one of those things, I think, that seems a lot more intimidating than it turns out to be. If you wanted to switch to a manual, would you really need a transitional step?

Of course, everyone's a little different so don't take it the wrong way. Just echoing Cutter's curiosity.

Cyrano138, I drive manual trans when available, and when I did the BRC, toe-shifting was a necessity. I passed the rider evals just fine. And I suspect that if I lent my bike to a toe-shifter, they will soon get the hang of it. I do agree with you that the use of all four limbs is intimidating to some...

Last edited:
I'm more of an old dog whose new trick learning capability has somewhat gone downhill over the years...

I would prefer an automatic bike with a regular style foot shifter, myself. I don't know if I could ever really warm up to the whole paddle/push button thing. I would look at the foot shifter as more of a really quick and awesome clutchless electric speed shifter, than: "Oh, I'm on an automatic motorcycle using my left foot to activate the electronics instead of left hand." (if you follow me)

Speed shifters, both electric and air activated, have been around for ages, and I'm more familiar and friendly with them. Most of my normal upshifting is done without me using the clutch anyway.

If my auto bike was in full auto mode, then so be it. I would treat it as such, and just let it do it's thing. But if I was to have input into manually mucking with when/where it shifted, then I would be more comfortable using my muscle memory devoloped over all these decades wit ma wee foot, I think.

All the gizmos and buttons and alien looking devices attached to the steering wheel of my friend's Prius, make me back away with the sign of the cross and muttered anti-curse invocations.

Techie, I kind of figured tinkering might be a small part of it. :)

For both responses, I hadn't really thought of it in reverse: as a transition from manual to auto, as opposed to from auto to manual. Interesting. Thanks for the informative responses, and good luck with it if either of you go for it. If you do, let's see some pictures!

C.J.

I must admit I quite enjoyed using the paddle change on my VFR 1200 DCT

I was interested in the foot shifter due to a minor issue of not having a lower left arm/hand with which to use the "paddles".

I'm gaining quite a shopping list of mods... this is getting serious! :D

Best regards,
BikerDude.

My suggestion would be to test ride it first before getting that mod. I've had the DCT since early September and I've only played with the paddle shifters once or twice. I thought it might be fun to shift manually at times however I find I have no interest in it. The auto shift works wonderfully. I have no use for the manual shift buttons and with winter gloves I've clumsily hit the downshift button by accident a couple of times which was not fun.

I would rather the paddle shift was optional equipment on the DCT and I could have saved a little money on the price of the bike.

I must say I have been looking at that since I discovered it yesterday. :D After looking at the gas mileage though I think I'll just look at it. Reports are that it barely does 160 miles to a tank (~48 miles per imperial gallon).

Best regards,
BikerDude.

Maybe a "partial" training aid for the shifting impaired (like my wife) but it would provide absolutely no benefit to mastering the proper use of a clutch and learning about the friction zone for starting up from a stand-still. That's the part my wife really had trouble with. Once she was going she could shift up and down through the gears with no problem but starting up from a stop was her nemesis. That was the whole justification for the DCT. It's virtually impossible to stall. So while I would love for her to learn and master riding a standard transmission bike, I won't be adding that farkle although I do not begrudge anyone who might want to pseudo-shift the DCT with their toe. :D

How about this then? A fake clutch lever too!!!

[video=youtube_share;OLLhrRED890]http://youtu.be/OLLhrRED890[/video]

What's the point in that?

Back