• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ducati Multistrada vs BMW 1200 GS (2013)

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Hi guys
can you tell me how much does a Ducati Multistrada cost over in the US compared to the new 2013 BMW 1200GS?
Over here the GS is about 18'000-19'000chf compared to Ducati costing 20'000-22'000chf.

And do you guys know if the Duc is "worth the extra 10%"?

Thanks.
:D

I thought I'd ask you guys here, since we are on such friendly terms.

If I had ever thought about buying a BMW bike it would be between the R1200GS and the F800GS. Strictly due to the looks of the bike. Cost wise I would go with the F800GS.

Edit: I have not ridden either but read some articles as I was looking up the information. Seems most comparisons suggest they have some differences that would make you pick one over the other. The Multistrada is quicker and more maneuverable on high speed twisty road. The BMW is heavier with less power and better build for off-road. I get the impression the Multistrada is more of a sporty cruiser where the BMW is still an Adventure bike.

I would personally chose the BMW over the two choices.

Last edited:
If I had ever thought about buying a BMW bike it would be between the R1200GS and the F800GS. Strikly due to the looks of the bike. Cost wise I would go with the F800GS.

I am heading more towards the 1200GS cos of all the bells and whistles.
That is, if I am going to buy a new one....
now, where is my fake Rolex ?

Comparisons are hard because BMW sells option packages. They advertise MSRP prices but on bikes on the showroom floor, the two I frequent, have additional options from the factory and then dealer added items. They may say it "starts" at X but you can't find base models for sale - they are all jacked up.

A biker friend just bought a Multistrada.
Today I saw one near my post office and gave her a good look around.
Doesn't excite me, TBH.

The BMW already excites me from FAR FAR away.
Yes I am a SNOB.

The value of the brand and the kick you get out of owning a particular brand varies to individuals. So if BMW tickles your fancy, by all means go for it. But for the sake of just comparing bike to bike (leaving out the brand prestige), is the Multistrada still worth 10% more than the 1200GS? I'd say yes, if you are intended to stay on pavement and light dirt. The SBK engine, different modes to control power output, level of traction control, suspension settings, etc. I'd say it's worth the 10% price tag.

Then again, I think you already have your eyes set on the GS.

Last edited:
I've ridden both, and although they're both targetted at adventure riding, they're right at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

The Duc is, well, a great big rorty Ducati with some paniers and bigger wheels on it. Power shifted to the mid-range, but it's still a real handful. If you take the anti-wheelie off, it's worryingly easily to pop wheelies in second and either third if you grab a big handful on the way out of a corner. It'll go off-road and it's pretty assured, but if you we're doing anything extreme, for me personally I would be worried about having too much power on hand to be safe.

The 1200GS is, well, a 1200GS. It's big, heavy, so ugly that's pretty and you can drive to Russia and fix it with a hammer and a pair of pliers. It's gets you to work on a monday in exactly the same way as it gets you up a mountain pass at the weekend - without a lot of drama and just goes about doing it's thing (until you drop it)

If you want an adventure bike that can keep up with you're friends who are riding R1's and Gixxers, then the Multistrada is exactly the bike for you. It'll go on dirt tracks better than those bikes. But, at the end of the day, it's a Ducati, so at some point will go wrong and need a garage. If you're going to hoon down interstates and motorways 99% of your times, Get the Multistada.

If you want a bike that you can fight your way accross what ever really comes up, and you REALLY want a 1200, then the GS is the only way to go. Especially because their dealer network is all over the world, and you can be broken down in the arse end of no where and always be within a few days of a dealer who can get you bits.

The 1200 WON'T keep up with the R1's and Gixxers and, being honest, is just too big to be fun to ride in really bad conditions - it's a menace to pick it up when you drop it.

So - if you're an adventure rider first, and a racer second, GS always wins and the MultiStrada is just the wrong type of bike for you. If you're a speed guy first who wants the riding position, hard luggage and the ability to occasionally hit dirt ( maybe a little gingerly ) then the Duc is absolutely without doubt worth the extra 10%.

When you do look at the costs, it's worth looking at total costs as well - Duc's generally need a bit more TLC than the BMW does.

Edit: If you're a pure adventure rider, then neither of these bikes is going to be right for you - have a look at something smaller, like the g650 or f700 if you want a BMW, which are just more friendly to fight over bad roads and dirt tracks. If you're feeling richer, have a look at the g 650 Sertao, which is very lovely indeed. Or, get a super tenere - there will be less of a crowd around you when you park up, but you're going to pay $9,000 less than you would for either of the others and I'd trust it just as much as any of the BMW's, and more than the Multistrada for off-road work or adventure riding

Last edited:
I have not ridden either, but did ride a Ducati Diavel, which I believe is basically the same engine as the Multistrada. I loved that engine, which basically puts either a Diavel or Multistrada on my future bikes to own category, once they are 3 years old or so and could more afford one. But to your question Happy, you gotta ride both before you decide, no?

Thanks for all the comments. I am not planning to buy any bike. But then again I was not planning to buy the NCX either, it was a shotgun marriage.
:p

I've ridden both, and although they're both targetted at adventure riding, they're right at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

The Duc is, well, a great big rorty Ducati with some paniers and bigger wheels on it. Power shifted to the mid-range, but it's still a real handful. If you take the anti-wheelie off, it's worryingly easily to pop wheelies in second and either third if you grab a big handful on the way out of a corner. It'll go off-road and it's pretty assured, but if you we're doing anything extreme, for me personally I would be worried about having too much power on hand to be safe.

The 1200GS is, well, a 1200GS. It's big, heavy, so ugly that's pretty and you can drive to Russia and fix it with a hammer and a pair of pliers. It's gets you to work on a monday in exactly the same way as it gets you up a mountain pass at the weekend - without a lot of drama and just goes about doing it's thing (until you drop it)

If you want an adventure bike that can keep up with you're friends who are riding R1's and Gixxers, then the Multistrada is exactly the bike for you. It'll go on dirt tracks better than those bikes. But, at the end of the day, it's a Ducati, so at some point will go wrong and need a garage. If you're going to hoon down interstates and motorways 99% of your times, Get the Multistada.

If you want a bike that you can fight your way accross what ever really comes up, and you REALLY want a 1200, then the GS is the only way to go. Especially because their dealer network is all over the world, and you can be broken down in the arse end of no where and always be within a few days of a dealer who can get you bits.

The 1200 WON'T keep up with the R1's and Gixxers and, being honest, is just too big to be fun to ride in really bad conditions - it's a menace to pick it up when you drop it.

So - if you're an adventure rider first, and a racer second, GS always wins and the MultiStrada is just the wrong type of bike for you. If you're a speed guy first who wants the riding position, hard luggage and the ability to occasionally hit dirt ( maybe a little gingerly ) then the Duc is absolutely without doubt worth the extra 10%.

When you do look at the costs, it's worth looking at total costs as well - Duc's generally need a bit more TLC than the BMW does.

Edit: If you're a pure adventure rider, then neither of these bikes is going to be right for you - have a look at something smaller, like the g650 or f700 if you want a BMW, which are just more friendly to fight over bad roads and dirt tracks. If you're feeling richer, have a look at the g 650 Sertao, which is very lovely indeed. Or, get a super tenere - there will be less of a crowd around you when you park up, but you're going to pay $9,000 less than you would for either of the others and I'd trust it just as much as any of the BMW's, and more than the Multistrada for off-road work or adventure riding

Did you test drive the 2013/2014 models? You'd be surprised how much zip the new 1200GS models have now, not anything like the Strada, but with 125hp, I can keep up with my sport bike squid friends just fine.

Also the $15,8k price tag is for base models only. From what I've seen at the dealers, you're going to be hard pressed to find a base model for sale. They mostly use them for their demo bikes.

Hi SlowSteve. Just wondering if you rode the Multistrada in dirt in "Enduro mode"? It would limit the engine output to 100HP (instead of the normal 150) and adjust ABS and suspension setting. I wouldn't think it would be too much power to be safe.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With 33.5 to 35 inch seat height I would have to have a ladder to get on either of these two bikes, and a catch the short, fat, ugly guy landing crew to stop. But, I would do ok in between???

The 2013 GS is designed to beat the Duc.
just my biased 2 cents.

The head of my department just order a 2013 GS with all the bells and whistles. The dynamic suspension is the bee's knees. But he did pay thru the nose for all the "upgrades" and "accessories". The 2013 did up the antes a bit on HP but the biggest upgrade is the suspension/electronics. The removable GPS is also a nice touch.

He said that it's like riding a comfy recliner with his full entertainment center. It's adventure riding in luxury. After everything was said and done, it was well north of $20,000USD.

I never priced the 1200GS but I did look at the F800GS. I would say $20,000 for a fully loaded 1200GS isn't to bad of a price. I would have expected it to be more.

Back