• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine cowling paint

DougNZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure I'm not the first to do this... but the black and grey plastic engine cowling has always bugged me. Literally. Bugs and tar on the grey part make it look horrible and the catalytic converter behind looks grotty. So off the cowling came, converter was cleaned up and sprayed with CRC Hot Black and cowling with Rust-oleum 2X flat black, an almost perfect match to the factory paint!
I'm very happy with the result :)

Attachments

• combined-1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 41
I'm sure I'm not the first to do this... but the black and grey plastic engine cowling has always bugged me. Literally. Bugs and tar on the grey part make it look horrible and the catalytic converter behind looks grotty. So off the cowling came, converter was cleaned up and sprayed with CRC Hot Black and cowling with Rust-oleum 2X flat black, an almost perfect match to the factory paint!
That looks great. Good job

Yes, painted mine, too.

One person on the forum dyed their lower center cowl black. That was probably a more permanent “solution” than painting.

You should be happy with that; it is much better than the original gray. Looks great!

Yes, painted mine, too.

One person on the forum dyed their lower center cowl black. That was probably a more permanent “solution” than painting.
Interesting. I've never heard of that and cannot locate the thread. If that info is still available, could you let me know?

I was just thinking about painting the NC this week. Kind of landed on this color. https://tcpglobal.com/collections/urethane-basecoat-paint-Buckskin-Tan and black. A black dye sounds very permanent and something I'd be interested in learning more about.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about painting the NC this week. Kind of landed on this color. https://tcpglobal.com/collections/urethane-basecoat-paint-Buckskin-Tan and black. A black dye sounds very permanent and something I'd be interested in learning more about.
The Buckskin Tan looks a little bit like the color I painted the lower cowls on my orange Zero DSR. That bike, like so many, just had too much black on it. Instead of adding more orange, I decided to do a two-tone, with orange and tan. The color I used was Toyota Quicksand.

62DA5C57-B28B-41C4-A074-5EB58C618A04.jpeg
One model year, the CB500X came in a desert tan with some orange and white decals. I liked it.

F480F912-F268-498B-ACD8-C2B166DBA99B.jpeg

Last edited:
The Buckskin Tan looks a little bit like the color I painted the lower cowls on my orange Zero DSR. That bike, like so many, just had too much black on it. Instead of adding more orange, I decided to do a two-tone, with orange and tan. The color I used was Toyota Quicksand.

View attachment 53816
One model year, the CB500X came in a desert tan with some orange and white decals. I liked it.

View attachment 53817
Those are very similar to the schemes I am considering. The Toyota and GM tans are very similar, and their trucks are what drew me to that color.

Last edited:
Back