• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Exhaust modifications...whats your thoughts?

Jarvis

Reaction score
Visit site
Would replacing the Cat. Conv. with a straight pipe and replacing the stock muffler with a high flow brand improve or give a disadvantage to the bike??????

The advantage is that you will have a louder bike; the disadvantage is that you will have a louder bike.

If a louder bike is what you are after, yes, exhaust mods will give you that. The HP increase, IMO, is not worth the money and trouble. But if you want a louder bike, the exhaust will give you that. If you are trying to save lives with louder exhaust, IMO, you won't. And if you want a louder bike, you should have bought a different bike to start with.

The advantage is that you will have a louder bike; the disadvantage is that you will have a louder bike.

If a louder bike is what you are after, yes, exhaust mods will give you that. The HP increase, IMO, is not worth the money and trouble. But if you want a louder bike, the exhaust will give you that. If you are trying to save lives with louder exhaust, IMO, you won't. And if you want a louder bike, you should have bought a different bike to start with.

Well, I am not going to mess with it, but a bit more "twin" exhaust note would be nice. I really liked my Moto Guzzi and Ducati exhaust.

Art

If what you are after is sound, replace your stock can with an aftermarket one. We have that "note", you just can't hear it :p Many reviews even mention how the sound of the NC closely mimics that of a traditional V-Twin. I replaced the stocker with a Leo Vince and love the sound it makes now.

Of course, if you go extreme and replace the entire exhaust system, then you would need a fuel controller (funny that there is a thread discussing-well bashing really-one that is available).

I think with the unique design/idea behind the NC it may be a while before someone comes up with a complete system that will actually enhance performance without sacrificing a lot of the economy.

Last edited:
Would replacing the Cat. Conv. with a straight pipe and replacing the stock muffler with a high flow brand improve or give a disadvantage to the bike??????

Well, it would kill the resale value for many buyers. I wouldn't even consider buying a used NC that had been hacked that way.

Are you just trying to anger the general public with noise or do you want more power? If more power is what you seek, this is the wrong bike for that.

Sorry to be so negative, but you asked for feedback. . .

Greg

I feel that the biggest restricton in the exhaust on this motor is the fact that the ports go from two to one inside the cylinder head itslef. It works great for economy the way honda has it tuned, and it is great for reducing emissions as they can have the CAT so close to the head it lights off in an instant, but its a major power building restriction that cannot be changed. I do not think eliminating the cat would throw off the Engine Control Module as the O2 sensor is before the cat, and the cat is not monitored with a secondary O2 sensor, as long as you have the O2 in the replacement pipe, the computer wont know the cat is gone, but a drastic change in backpressure (or lack there of) could affect how your engine runs if it moves outside of the ignition and fuel map paramaters that the stock ECU is capable of adapting to within closed loop feedback. The only real way to know if its safe is do the mod and then analyze your exhaust emissions with a wide band O2 sensor under load (like on a dyno) to verify you are within safe air fuel ratios. All things considered I wouldn't go beyond a slip-on muffler for sound purposes only

Giannelli makes a full replacement pipe and muffler for the NC.

I have a full Giannelli with carbon can on my CBR, I love it. Although it says Giannelli "Silencers" on it, it should really say: Giannelli "loudeners" lol

I thought the NCX's 02 was in the exhaust port itself, not the header pipe? Maybe I'm miss remembering. My CBR's 02 sensor is in the head, not the pipe.

Honestly, I don't think there's enough of a difference performance-wise to even need a Power Commander type of deal, unless real driveability issues are noticed. It's entirely possible the new pipe may lessen the fuel economy a wee bit, but I'm thinking it would be more due to how much the throttle was blipped, just to hear the new sound, than actual statistical reduction. This of course also means I'm skeptical of the exhaust making any claimed improvements in upping fuel economy, either.

* with a baffle in place, of course. Removed, open end baffleless, I would be a little more hesitant in contemplation. But that would be pretty unacceptably loud anyway I think, so ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances...

I am smitten with how Ducatis and other sporty V-Twins sound, and I would love to get a fairly hearty deep bassy boom out of my NC, but the more prudent part of me recognises that another one of the reasons I am planning to enjoy this bike so much, is being as stealthy as possible for off road-ish/Urban shenanigans, heh heh. I wanna blend in and be as under the radar as possible. :evil hands rubbing together:

Edit- I'm sure the 700's muffler weighs a ton though. I would really love to be able to lessen that with an aftermarket carbon can, but retain the quiet part. Tough to do, methinks.

Last edited:
Well, from my experience with my Leo Vince, the NC is still quiet compared to say, my FZ6 with Scorpion slip-ons. That would SCREAM at WOT. The NC at WOT, a throaty rumble.

Plus, the stocker is, IMO, pretty darn unattractive (chrome, really??). My Leo is carbon fiber and a much lighter (and way more sexy :cool: ).

I'd like to try a different can to save weight and get a *little* more sound -- really just a nicer tone -- out of the bike. But, I can't for the life of me justify $300+ for a slip-on.

For a set of tuned headers, complex midpipe and a nice silencer, I can see the cost adding up. But, $300 for a small piece of pipe, and a muffler that's used in hundreds of other applications? Ouch.

trey

And if you want a louder bike, you should have bought a different bike to start with.

What a stupid thing to say! Why should he have to buy a different bike to the one he has? Nothing wrong with adding an aftermarket exhaust to make any bike louder.

I'd like to try a different can to save weight and get a *little* more sound -- really just a nicer tone -- out of the bike. But, I can't for the life of me justify $300+ for a slip-on.

For a set of tuned headers, complex midpipe and a nice silencer, I can see the cost adding up. But, $300 for a small piece of pipe, and a muffler that's used in hundreds of other applications? Ouch.

trey

If $300 is too much your should pry stay of yosh's website. $300 is pretty cheap for a slip on

You can fix the crappy front or rear suspension for the price of changing the sound. I'd rather not hear the blamed thing anyway. But then, I am into long distance riding. What seems cool going to Starbucks gets old Going to the Sun.

Plus, the stocker is, IMO, pretty darn unattractive (chrome, really??). My Leo is carbon fiber and a much lighter (and way more sexy :cool: ).

Chrome? I was under the impression the stock exhaust was stainless steel. No?

Greg

Chrome? I was under the impression the stock exhaust was stainless steel. No?

Greg

It was shiny stainless steel or chrome or what ever you want to call it... I rode past 1000 miles in less than 3 weeks... It's more like bronze now... :)

I love to have a aftermarket exhaust to have a little bit sound also, but the aftermarket pipe ain't cheap... My last bike was a 09 versys and I only paid $220 for a brother slip on... For NCX, the cheapest I found is $300 and some want over $500 for it... I will wait and see...

I personally like the two brothers but I'm not sure if I'm going to go for the mod for a while. The one thing I enjoy about having a new bike is not having to do anything to it for a while so I'm going to soak up the savings for a little bit..

Back