• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extended warranty

Jarvis

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I know the bike has a 1 year warranty. But what are your thoughts on getting the extended warranty....buy or dont buy???

I tend to loose money with extra insurance. So I try to buy a quality product instead of more insurance.

Things will always break, so I take the money that the insurance cost and put it towards the repairs myself.
It seems to work well for me.

In general, I agree with the poster above, but for some reason I let them talk me into it. It only added ten bucks a month to my payment and covers the bike for another four years (the duration of the loan after the original warranty ends) with no mileage limitation. I put a lot of miles on my bike (500 a week), so in my case I think it made more sense than it would for the average weekend pleasure cruiser.

Last edited:
I generally do not get an extended warranty but considering this bike was a new model with a very new engine design I got an extended warranty (6 year I think). Considering it is a Honda I probably wasted the money.

I went with the extended warranty for 2 reasons.

1. This is a first edition release bike. First releases always have some sort of problem or issue. That is just the nature of having a new product.

2. DCT model. Its "improved" but still its new on this bike, and new on any bike, so I considered it a "new" product. I imagine if anything went wrong with the DCT that would be very expensive to repair/replace. I have peace of mind for 5 years now.

The price was not bad.

I went with the extended warranty for 2 reasons.

1. This is a first edition release bike. First releases always have some sort of problem or issue. That is just the nature of having a new product.

2. DCT model. Its "improved" but still its new on this bike, and new on any bike, so I considered it a "new" product. I imagine if anything went wrong with the DCT that would be very expensive to repair/replace. I have peace of mind for 5 years now.

The price was not bad.

If I bought a DCT, I would have purchased the extended warranty.

I put a lot of miles on my bike... I have a year before the original warranty runs out to think about if I am going to get the extended warranty...

Hey, I know the bike has a 1 year warranty. But what are your thoughts on getting the extended warranty....buy or dont buy???
As other posters have noted, the DCT is something of an unknown quantity. If youre on the fence and plan on getting the DCT version, that could sway the decision in favor of the warranty. I'd base the decision on how tight a budget you're on (in other words if something did happen, could you afford to pay for the repair), how much they are charging for the warranty, exactly what the warranty covers, and how long you plan on keeping the bike. IMHO extended warranties are money makers for the dealers and the company that underwrites the coverage, so the overall odds are that you would come out ahead by not getting the warranty. OTOH, the peace of mind you get from having it may make it worthwhile for you.
Personally, I'm afflicted with a terminally short attention span. I don't normally keep a bike long enough to make an extended warranty worthwhile, so I never get one.

Bob

In Sweden we get 5 years warranty with no milage restrictions. But there is a but! You do need to follow the service manual and have the bike serviced at any authorized Honda service shop during these five years. Each service is followed by a stamp in the bike's service book. No stamp(s), no warranty to claim if anything fails...

I paid the 1k to extend the 1 year to a 5 year. As others have stated I bought it because it's a new model.

The second reason, is because it's transferable, and I didn't plan on keeping it the entire 5 years. Good for resale.

In Sweden we get 5 years warranty with no milage restrictions. But there is a but! You do need to follow the service manual and have the bike serviced at any authorized Honda service shop during these five years. Each service is followed by a stamp in the bike's service book. No stamp(s), no warranty to claim if anything fails...

I bought the 5 year extended just for my own peice of mind being that it is a new model with a new engine. In the US they cannot deny your warranty as long as the maintenance was done and recorded, they cannot however require that it be done by Honda. That is a major conflict of interest in my opinnion. I don't know how it works at bike dealers, but I know at automotive dealerships with warranty work the technician only gets to flag about half the hours the job would normally pay, so why would a dealership tech point out a problem or potential problem that falls under warranty if the customer did not complain about it? Most wont!

I paid the 1k to extend the 1 year to a 5 year. As others have stated I bought it because it's a new model.

The second reason, is because it's transferable, and I didn't plan on keeping it the entire 5 years. Good for resale.

Jeez they only charged me $660...

I am confident if it does not break in the first year, it should be good to go as far as major failures. No extended warranty for me. Most insurance company's (read extended warranty company) work hard to find excuses to not pay a claim. If you bought one, I recommend you follow Honda's maintenance schedule to a "T", use their recommended parts/fluids, and keep very accurate and credible maintenance records/receipts. JMO

Jeez they only charged me $660...

Figures, they overcharged me on that too. I was in such a hurry to buy it. It was their last one and there was a going there trying to buy it if I walked. I needed a commuter asap and said F it, sign me up. Live and learn. If you knew what I did for a living you would laugh your arse off at me. :)

I would never buy an extended warranty. It is like buying insurance against an unexpected early failure of the motorcycle. In buying the insurance, I would be betting it will break: Honda is betting it won't. But instead I'm going to bet like Honda that it won't break, and "save" the money.

In my opinion, insurance is for protection of major assets and against catastrophic lifestyle changing events, not for every little thing that might go wrong in life.

Greg

I generally don't buy extended warranties. But, as stated above, this being a new model I decided to plunk down the $550.00 and get an additional four years. I figure I basically donated that money to mother Honda. Oh well....

Back