• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extended warranty

The nice thing about the Honda warranty is that as long as you are still covered under the factory warranty (within the first year here in the U.S.) you can add the extended warranty. So no real pressure when you buy the bike. If problems start popping up, I may buy the extended warranty when I get closer to the end of the factory warranty. From what I've seen and read about how Honda handles the Goldwing warranties, it's a great warranty. That is, as long as you buy the actual Honda warranty and not some dealer provided "special" warranty.

WGW

Figures, they overcharged me on that too. I was in such a hurry to buy it. It was their last one and there was a going there trying to buy it if I walked. I needed a commuter asap and said F it, sign me up. Live and learn. If you knew what I did for a living you would laugh your arse off at me. :)

Hostage negotiator?

The nice thing about the Honda warranty is that as long as you are still covered under the factory warranty (within the first year here in the U.S.) you can add the extended warranty. So no real pressure when you buy the bike. If problems start popping up, I may buy the extended warranty when I get closer to the end of the factory warranty. From what I've seen and read about how Honda handles the Goldwing warranties, it's a great warranty. That is, as long as you buy the actual Honda warranty and not some dealer provided "special" warranty.

WGW

This was the same thing I was thinking, I can buy the warranty up to the last day on the current one, so why not wait, keep an eye on this forum for troubles that the high mileage guys may run into first and see if I have any problems on "my" bike that pop up first. Also a lot of times it's that "dealer special" warranty that costs so much - stick with the Honda deal if your going to get one. I got the 6 times service plan through my dealer just because it worked out that charging shop hours (no parts included) that by the time I got to 8000 miles service, it was paid for, so I get 3 more services and parts for the cost of my first 3 as if I had just rode in to get them. Not a bad deal if your going to put the miles on it without trading or selling it. Since this will be my ride for the next 3 to 5 years and I ride year round it, amortized nicely.

A workmate of mine was buying a sound system and the conversation went something like this
Sales Person "Do you want the extented warranty with that sir?"
customer " why is it likely to go wrong? If so I don't it"
SM " Oh no sir they are very reliable"
C "then why do I want the warranty"
SP "well in case something happens""
C "So something may go wrong"
SP "Very unlikely sir"
C Then "I don't need the warranty"
SP "But it's always beeter to be protected sir"
C " Protected from what as you said nothing is likely to wrong"
Apparently it continued in this vein for about 5 minutes before the sales person finally gave up and just sold him the item

Extended warranties are just like insurance policies. With insurance policies, we are betting against ourselves. Life, health, auto, home, etc. I'd guess that most folks have some kind of insurance, for that "just in case" moment. We hope we don't have to use it, but if we do, we are glad we have it. With warranties, we are betting against the equipment. Lots of parts manfactured in different places with different standards go into a motorcycle. Some of those parts are crazy expensive and some are crazy expensive to install. And once all those parts are bolted together by humans or robots, they are subjected to intense enviromental extremes. Hot, cold, dry, wet, etc. In either case (insurance or warranties), stuff happens. If spending a little extra on an extended warranty gives you piece of mind, then that's value right there. Plus it's transferrable, a nice selling point if you sell within the warranty period.

Even though I do all my own work and have mild panic attacks at just the thought of someone else touching my bike with a wrench, if the price is right, I'll probably get the extended warranty on both my NCX and Goldwing when the time comes.

WGW

I didn't bother with extended ins for any of my bikes. 6 hondas in the barn and not a issue amongst the bunch. Bought the extended warantee on my '05 Element and I havn't had a problem with it either.

Extended warranties are an opportunity for dealers to tag on an extra buck with the sale. If you really feel you need that peace of mind, buy it. Me, if I really feel I need the extended warranty, my confidence in the product I just bought must have been really low ... and why did I just buy it????? My personal disclaimer to this mindset is if I do suffer a catastrophic failure, I have the skills to repair whatever it was that failed.

Extended warranties are an opportunity for dealers to tag on an extra buck with the sale. If you really feel you need that peace of mind, buy it. Me, if I really feel I need the extended warranty, my confidence in the product I just bought must have been really low ... and why did I just buy it????? My personal disclaimer to this mindset is if I do suffer a catastrophic failure, I have the skills to repair whatever it was that failed.

In some cases it's easier/better just to make the repair yourself even if the vehicle is still in warranty. For example, I bought a Bombardier boat in 2000 with a standard 1 year warranty. One of the two engines failed with an internal mechanical problem (broken gear) at 20 hours run time. The dealer "fixed it" twice. It still wasn't right even after the second "repair" so I rebuilt the whole engine myself at my cost and my labor. It just wasn't worth messing with the incompetent dealer or the unfriendly company anymore. That engine is now reliable and still running today with probably 300 hours on it.

I bought a new '97 Honda ST1100 that had a fairing mount bracket misaligned or improperly built. After the Honda dealer warranty repair, body screws were missing or in the wrong places, the radiator fan motor was left disconnected, etc, etc.

So now, except for mandatory vehicle safety recalls, my vehicles never see the dealer again once I get them home.

Greg

Last edited:
I financed my bike, so the extra few bucks a month was way way better than the possibility of forking out a large chunk out of pocket for something.

Reliable brand or not, sometimes $hit happens. (fuel sender cough cough).

I have noticed that it is hard to find an good shop manual for the bike because it is so new. The Honda NC700 manual is probably costs an arm if not a leg too. My accessories are taking awhile to come in. The centerstand is on backorder.... I'm thinking about having them forget it and getting the Twisted Throttle version. The price is the same, I think.

From my reading, the US sold NC700x has one year bumper to bumper (fender to fender?) and unlimited miles. Since I bought the DCT version, the extended coverage appealed to me. I presumed I faced a higher risk of something going wrong simply due to the added complexity over the standard clutch version and the first year of this offering. The good news is the extension is transferable to the next owner and does not have to be bought at time of purchase, only while still under warranty. The item is clearly a money maker for both the dealer and the factory, but the peace of mind for what was covered, for up to five years with unlimited mileage, from the manufacturer (not a 3rd party insurance plan) promising genuine parts, made it worthwhile for me.

Last edited:
I bought an extended warranty on a car one time. When the original warranty period expired and I had a problem with the car, I took it to the dealer, only to be told that particular problem was not covered by the warranty. I've been wary about extended warranties ever since.

I'm in the "extended warranties are a waste of money" camp usually, but I actually bought one a few years ago for my Yamaha FJR1300. This was similar to the Honda offering in that it extended the warranty for 4 years with unlimited miles and also guaranteed a tow to the nearest Yamaha dealer for repairs and also covered room and board while repairs are accomplished. I average 15,000 miles a year on the bike and travel around the country, so the warranty seemed to have value. But the kicker was that there's a dealer in AL that sells this official Yamaha warranty for about $20 over cost at only $389.

Despite all that, I never got my money's worth out of the warranty (although I had that peace of mind knowing I wouldn't be stuck on the road or having to fork out for expensive repairs). I had a couple minor repairs accomplished at the dealer under warranty that probably wouldn't have even added up to my warranty cost. And if it wasn't for the warranty paying for parts (and labor), I would have simply fixed the problems myself with only the cost of parts out of pocket.

Because no one has mentioned it, I'm guessing there's no discount dealer somewhere in the country that sells the official Honda warranty for cheap? Regretably, the AL dealer only sells Yamaha and Kawasaki motorcycles.

Last edited:
Pro Motorsports of Fond Du Lac, Wi has 'em for $559 (4 years). There may be better deals though. When calling them ask for Bryan in Finance.

Looks like the same applies in Canada you can purchase an extended warranty as long as the bike is still under the original warranty.The standard warranty is 1 Year.I may still consider it.

It would be interesting to know how many have purchased an extended warranty and actually had to use it, and whether it delivered on all it promised. From my experience didn't come through when I needed to use it. Granted, this was on an automobile, but I imagine motorcycle ones are similar. If we don't know what percent of these policies actually pay out when needed, peace of mind becomes somewhat ephemeral.

Back