• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extra 12v

hectorsalinasx

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys.
So i bought my bike with 4k miles and the previous owner had the power outlet added in the frunk from the dealer....my questions, how complicated would it be to add an extra one at the handle bars that works the same way as the original?

Thanks in advance guys

I cant say how complicated it is, since that would be a relative term. You would need to remove the left side plastics for access if you want to tie in to the Honda accessory harness, assuming the dealer had installed one for the existing frunk outlet. Then you need to run your wiring up to the handlebars. If instead you fused your new outlet straight off your battery you could possibly snake the wiring through the bodywork by just removing the battery cover and the left fake duct (fuct), and not mess with the side cover. I would advise following Honda directions for side cover removal, since it's a bit of work and not entirely intuitive.

If the existing frunk 12 volt outlet is the genuine Honda item, I would advise that you locate it's fuse while you've removed the left side cover, and relocate it so it's accessible with the covers installed. It is a tiny 1 amp fuse that would probably blow if you plugged in anything bigger than a phone.

Last edited:
I wouldnt like to run it straight to the battery with a fuse....for some reason i think it would mess with the charging system or the battery....i dont know why i have that in my head.

If i tap into the honda harness, what do i do? Just tap intonthe power and ground with a fuse??

And yea relocating that fuse seems like a good idea.

Im gonna look for instructions on how to remove the left cover

Here is the document for the original 12 volt outlet accessory. It will help with the covers, and you'll be able to see how the accessory harness works and where it's at. The harness will have four outputs available, one of them already used for the Honda frunk outlet. Be aware that the accessory harness has a combined current capacity of 7.5 amps. None of this would support an air compressor to inflate tires.

http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08V71-MGS-A30.pdf

Thanks for the info....very helpful and pretty much told me what i was afraid of......one ofnthe purposes of it would be an air compressor. So i guess im gonna put it directly to the battery with a fuse, do you see any problems with that??

Thanks a lot for the info

Thanks for the info....very helpful and pretty much told me what i was afraid of......one ofnthe purposes of it would be an air compressor. So i guess im gonna put it directly to the battery with a fuse, do you see any problems with that??

Thanks a lot for the info

Wiring and fusing direct to the battery is fine. One thing to note is the current limit of the outlet you posted from Amazon is not very high. You may need to select a different outlet if the compressor demand is high.

You can also run your compressor off a simple 2 pin SAE plug wired and fused at the battery. As a bonus you can also charge your battery via that route.

IMG_0080.jpg

Last edited:
Funny you mention....i just look at that and honestly....might as well just hook the compressor to the battery with the little clamps it comes with.....seems that i overthink things.......the outlet well....lets just use it for a cellphone or something small like that

Wiring and fusing direct to the battery is fine. One thing to note is the current limit of the outlet you posted from Amazon is not very high. You may need to select a different outlet if the compressor demand is high.

You can also run your compressor off a simple 2 pin SAE plug wired and fused at the battery. As a bonus you can also charge your battery via that route.

View attachment 31539

This is the route I would go for being able to power a compressor. Most people want one of these installed for keeping the battery charged anyway. The dealers around here install these on every new bike they sell. You might still need to switch to a larger size fuse in the harness.

If you buy a battery tender (on sale for $20 now at NewEgg), I think it comes with this harness.

Most of the outles i find have an output of 2.1 amps......do you know of any ones higher???

Also 2.1 amps is it for the usb only or for the sae too?

I think 2.1 amps refers to USB connectors. I bought a couple Powerlet (a manufacturer) connector & cables (their powerlet/euro style and a cigarette lighter style) and both were fused at 10 amps. The Honda harness is fused with a 7.5 amp fuse (and their wiring is tiny gauge!). But if you connect directly to the battery you can draw something like 12 amps for extras safely.
see here: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/1742-extra-power.html

Back