• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extra fuel storage. MSR bottles mounted.

JDE, just say the word if this is muddying your thread up, and I'll post elsewhere-don't want to hijack yours!

I was out in the yard fiddling around, and thought I recalled someone once saying something about a Rotopax not fitting in the trunk. I thought one would, but forgot about checking until now.

A 1 gal Rotopax fuel container fits perfectly in the trunk if anyone is so inclined, or hasn't time/space to build a rack to bolt one elsewhere to the bike.

:D

DSCF0686.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0679.jpg
    DSCF0679.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 660
  • DSCF0679.jpg
    DSCF0679.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 991
Last edited:
JDE, just say the word if this is muddying your thread up, and I'll post elsewhere-don't want to hijack yours!

I was out in the yard fiddling around, and thought I recalled someone once saying something about a Rotopax not fitting in the trunk. I thought one would, but forgot about checking until now.

A 1 gal Rotopax fuel container fits perfectly in the trunk if anyone is so inclined, or hasn't time/space to build a rack to bolt one elsewhere to the bike.

View attachment 6022

No worries at all!! I welcome other ideas, as I am aware that mine aren't the best ideas in the world. What I've done here is just my idea that I got from others who had the same idea, just modified to work for me. I'm aware that it won't be for everybody, but if it sparks some creativity in some one else to do something different, then I'm cool with that. Post it up and share!! The first part of the title of my thread is "Extra fuel storage." So I any info on extra fuel storage is very welcome. The second part being the MSR bottles which is the route I took for extra fuel storage. :D

P.S. That does look like a very close fit though in the frunk. I prefer to keep the frunk area for my Slime Air pump, Stop & Go tire plugger kit, my heat-troller, tire pressure gauge, other pair of gloves, and something to clean my visor with. Top-case is for my lunch and layers, as I work 12hr shifts. When I'm either going to work at 3:30am and coming home at 5:00pm or going to work at 3:30pm and getting off at 5:00am, there is ofter a 20-30degF difference in temps.

Last edited:
I also like the idea of different ideas one the same thread. That way I get all kinds of ideas without having to read 1,000 different threads.

Mounted mine inside my homemade soft bag racks. Using two $4.99 Target 25 oz. S.S.fuel.jpgbottle.jpg water bottles with new o-rings to withstand the gas. I have a question: when filling the bottles, should they be filled as full as possible or some room left for expansion?

View attachment 6022

Another reason to love the frunk! Loving this bike more and more each day!

I just happen to see this at Lowes. It makes it sound like the gas in it is for real long term storage. I see no reason why it couldn't be reused. It has a refill line on it. I use it for around home area riding, just incase.
20130622_153350.jpg

I just happen to see this at Lowes. It makes it sound like the gas in it is for real long term storage. I see no reason why it couldn't be reused. It has a refill line on it. I use it for around home area riding, just incase.
View attachment 6044

Interesting, I've never seen that before. Wonder if it will fit in one of the tool tubes...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the posts, incredibly helpful. They are now secured up under the top case and look pretty good. Not as cool as Draco's silver clamp but not bungee corded to the side either. Thanks again!

I appreciate the thread because I have a Tractor Supply close by! I didn't know those were so inexpensive. I'd like to get my tool bag out of the frunk.

These do come in handy. I've used them to get a Harley rider and Honda rider to be able to get gas so far. It is funny how many people think they have enough to make the next gas station. The Harley rider was on the side of expressway down town about 10pm and was really frustrated as he had been there 3 hours and had hundreds of Harley riders pass him by. He had pushed it about a mile so far. At first he did not know I had fuel and offered me $20.00 to go get him a gallon of fuel. When I pulled out the fuel bottle I thought he was going to kiss me.... He tried to give me the $20.00 but I asked him just to maybe pass it on when he sees a Honda on the side of the road. The Honda rider (Shadow 750) just asked If he could borrow my phone to call AAA and was equally pleased I had fuel. It was nice to be able to pay it forward a couple times so far. When I pulled into a stripes in Big Spring TX on the way back from Grant CO. and took 3.511 gallons I was nervous but I knew I had fuel if it went dead on me. When you fill them, use premium and add a little stabil just in case you never need it for a longer period of time. I also added a little startron to combat the 10% alcohol in the gas. I hope I never need it but wonder what running completely out of gas does to the fuel pump.

Running back on Texas back roads after 11pm was a little scary (besides the deer and armadillos) as most all of the gas stations were closed. Thank goodness for Stripes who has 24 hour stations in small towns or I might have had to use the spare gas. Still looking for a real 2 gallon fuel cell for those long nights on back roads and occasional forgetfulness. My 3.511 fill up was an eye opener and I was not on the dirt back roads. The X is great on gas if under 65 but my mileage dropped to 49mpg when running 75 - 85 and around 55 - 63mpg running 70 - 73. I saw the blinking red light too many times too quickly on my 4 day run to Grant CO and back. Now running the passes with mixed dirt/gravel/paved sections I got 70mpg and running 65 (back roads at night) 65 - 70mpg. Either a better fuel gauge (not going to happen on a $7K bike) or more fuel or better planning when on the X, guess the old fart is going to have to plan a little better.....

Last edited:
Another reason to love the frunk! Loving this bike more and more each day!

Thank you for posting this. Was looking for ways to mount some MSR bottles on the bike, but sacrificing some frunk space for mileage is a no brainer for me. On the next long CA trip, the stuff that would go into the frunk will be put in the panniers or the top box. This NC has almost as many storage options as my 79 VW camper!!

Another 60 miles could be a lifesaver. Especially with the high CA gas prices. Will definitely fill everything up in Yuma.

Back