• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extreme Farkling begins..

Love the headlight!!

Get your forks back? I picked my bike up Saturday. I love it. They set the front up slightly stiff, but my buddy knows my off road based riding style. The rear has a sweet hydraulic adjuster on it. I haven't had a chance to ride 2 up yet.. but its awesome now, and can add preload with a simple twist.

Just for comparison, anything over 80 felt a little sketchy before.. but now up to 100, it is very stable. Feels like a different bike.

Love the headlight!!

Get your forks back? I picked my bike up Saturday. I love it. They set the front up slightly stiff, but my buddy knows my off road based riding style. The rear has a sweet hydraulic adjuster on it. I haven't had a chance to ride 2 up yet.. but its awesome now, and can add preload with a simple twist.

Nope. Mine shipped on Friday so I should have them later this week.

My bike has two wheels! My bike has two wheels!

Might not be a big deal for most of you, but for me, it is wonderful. My wife calls the UPS truck "The Brown Truck of Joy" because of the improvement it's arrival generally makes in my disposition. Today, the BTOJ brought a package from Race Tech Suspensions. The forks are back and they are installed. I had them install new RT HiPerformance springs and Gold Valve cartridge emulators with springing and valving set up for my intended load and uses. To keep everything new, I installed a set of fork gaiters. Many may not care for the look of them, but a set of fork seals will last the life of the bike with this simple addition. Given the places I intend the scoot to travel, this is cheap peace of mind in the mud and the muck of faraway places...

DSC00648.jpg

The Ohlins rear is supposedly en-route and should be here in the next several days.

Last edited:
That looks a bike again!!!

I like the fork gaiters, and you're right about the the seals. My old XT350 have them and I have never replaced the seals. Where did you bought them? Do you think they can be fitted by only loosening the handlebar, without dismounting each hose / cable ?

The fork gaiters are certainly a great idea. I can remember when they were a standard fittment on most bikes

Full circle for me, now.

When young: "eww! Old fashioned old guy look"

Now as a geezer myself: "Hey those look very smart! Nostalgic and eminently functional."

lol I am my Dad.

Full circle for me, now.

When young: "eww! Old fashioned old guy look"

Now as a geezer myself: "Hey those look very smart! Nostalgic and eminently functional."

lol I am my Dad.

Thanks now your making me feel really old :)
Only the other day I was watching a TV show called Whatever happened to the like ly lads when I realised how relevent some of the words of the theme tune were to me. They go "Whatever happed to yoy Whatever happened to me What became of the people we used to be" This was a bit depressing but a few hours latter I went for a blast on my Crossrunner and suddenly I WAS that young 17 year old Rocker off to the cafe to see his mates and girlfriend all over again or at least I was for a few minutes. Sad I know but true

That looks a bike again!!!

I like the fork gaiters, and you're right about the the seals. My old XT350 have them and I have never replaced the seals. Where did you bought them? Do you think they can be fitted by only loosening the handlebar, without dismounting each hose / cable ?

I bought them on eBay, but they are Pyramid from England. You don't have to touch the handlebars or cables. Get the bike on a stand; remove the front brake caliper, wheel, and front fender. Working with one fork at a time, loosen the two clamp bolts and withdraw the fork assembly out the bottom.

I'm so old, when I was a kid rainbows were in black and white.

On the gaiter subject, I am sure when my new friend DocWells gets his, it will have Florida "gaiters" on it. I have seen bright gaudy orange ones.

Lee,
Do you now have adjustability, compression and rebound? Both on each fork, or comp. on one and rebound on the other?

Gene

Race Tech does things a bit differently with the Gold Valves, but all of the adjustability is there...

- Compression damping is adjusted by changing the preload on the Gold Valve bypass spring.
- Rebound damping is adjusted by changing oil weight. Mine is using 15 weight oil.
- Race sag is adjusted same as before by changing the spring spacer height
- Suspension pre-load is adjusted by fork oil level.

Different, but it works. BTW, the Gold Valves have to be removed to change the compression damping... Jack the bike; remove the top caps, springs, and spacers; retrieve the Gold Valve with a parts grabber (or coat hanger with a hook); adjust the bypass valve compression spring; and replace.

Gold valves have been around for a long time, but they work. They provide separate low and high speed damping adjustment which an ordinary damper rod with holes in it cannot accomplish. They also provide continuously variable compression damping as the valve is opening. The stock damper cannot respond to fast changes like a step change in road surfaces because the hydraulic pressure rises too high and the oil cannot flow fast enough. If you made the holes large enough to respond to a fast movement, the slow control would be mushy. The Gold Valve achieves low speed control through a ported opening similar to a conventional damper rod, but when the hydraulic pressure rises above the preset level (because of a fast change), the bypass opens and the oil has a larger passage to flow through so it can respond faster.

A friend of mine has an F800GS which came with no adjustability. He sent his forks out (don't remember where) and with some research and a little machining they found parts that fit to adjust comp/rebound externally. He's thrilled with it now. Do you know who the manufacturer of our fork is?

My bike has two wheels! My bike has two wheels!

I had them install new RT HiPerformance springs and Gold Valve cartridge emulators with springing and valving set up for my intended load and uses. .

Racetech as yet does not list the NC700X on their on-line application chart. Did they tell you what Gold Valve Emulator kit number was used on your NC?

A friend of mine has an F800GS which came with no adjustability. He sent his forks out (don't remember where) and with some research and a little machining they found parts that fit to adjust comp/rebound externally. He's thrilled with it now. Do you know who the manufacturer of our fork is?

I do not know who made the forks. IMO, external adjustability is not necessary. I have never changed damping on a street or dual sport bike once I got it dialed in. The damping response is a function of the unsprung weight, not the sprung weight, so it does not change with load. If you changed uses or "normal" riding speeds for the bike, then it could change.

Back