• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

fender cracked after installing extender

The washers are normally metal. If you pop rivet soft material then as like as not the end of the pop rivet will just pull back through the material as it's compressed leaving a messy hole but no bond. The washer spreads the load across a larger area and gives a stronger grip.

I think the washer was already discussed earlier in this thread, but they make pop rivet washers for this purpose. You should be able to find them in the same location as the rivets, or you may be able to find rivets with matching washers packaged together. Since you are riveting rather soft plastic, the washer is a good idea. The washer is not meant to go under the head of the rivet. To install, insert the rivet through the hole and put the washer on the bottom of the rivet (the end that expands).

Bob

sorry, I'll go back and look. I think I understand. The washer ends up on the underside of the fender so that the part that exapans will have something firm to hold on to. The top (the part you can see) doesn't need the washer.

Done!

Six 5mm 1/4 inch grip aluminum rivets.
two on each side and two in the bottom.
No need for a pic, you've seen that before.

Pop Rivets are your friend. The "gun" was $10, and the rivets are $5 for 50.

I used some metal washers i had...just big enough to to on the rivet, but small enough to stay there when the rivet spreads out at the bottom. I sealed the bottom end where the washers are with silicone by spreading it on with a finger as well as I could.

It's easy to use, strong, long lasting, and looks pretty decent.

Last edited:
There is a YouTube video of a BMW F800GS that crashed after the rear of the fender got sucked in and locked the wheel. I searched for it recently and could not find it now. The guy had a GoPro camera on and it recorded the fall. You are a bit too sure of your conclusion. Laugh on, 'bro.

I agree I would rather rely on a fixed item than luck to keep me safe

Glue only? You would be crazy not to use fasteners as well. Could be real bad locking up front wheel. Couple of fasteners are hard to see if you are looking hard.

Maybe .........maybe not^^^^^^^^^^^^

Read the last line on the blue LOCTITE site........mentions stress cracking on plastic:

Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 from Loctite Adhesives

It (warning) is not clear on the root cause chemical reaction or other cause........either way they do not recommend using it on plastic.

What they mean is that you do not use it on plastic threaded fasteners. The Locktite expands slightly as it cures, not enough to damage a metal nut, but possibly enough to crack a plastic nut that is already stressed from overtightening.

What they mean is that you do not use it on plastic threaded fasteners. The Locktite expands slightly as it cures, not enough to damage a metal nut, but possibly enough to crack a plastic nut that is already stressed from overtightening.

It is unclear.......but most interpret it as LOCTITE in and around plastic is not recommended. Other forums mention loctite on a metal fastener on a plastic part can cause cracking of the plastic.

Last edited:
what's strange is that you would even suggest that. I was just correcting a word.... gently I thought. Don't leave.
That's hardly called for. (why does Beemerphile "like" this...weird).

Nope... I couldn't figure out why a sensible member like that would say that....
sorry I missed that one.

There was another long posting by another member where lack of caps, periods and run on sentences were a distraction, hard to read and or understand ..........that lead to a threat of leaving the forum because of the negative attention and correction ...........this was the joke part in my leaving for your correction..............I am not the sensitive nor am I leaving.......... LOL

Last edited:
There was another long posting by another member where lack of caps, periods and run on sentences were a distraction, hard to read and or understand ..........that lead to a threat of leaving the forum because of the negative attention and correction ...........this was the joke part in my leaving for your correction..............I am not the sensitive nor am I leaving.......... LOL

yea not leaving wow
clapping-hands.gif

Back