• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First thousand miles: questions...

• Thread starter Deleted member 4372
  • Start date
In case this hasn't been explored: The GPS may not be entirely accurate if being read in curvy places with altitude changes. Ups, downs and curves may not render as accurate a reading as a flat surface/steady riding.

(Yes, i'm aware of the variables and the accuracy of GPS yet also see a "Max speed," on my current one of over 500 mph, so I know sometime in it's life with me I've got through an area of poor reception and it's "calculated," the max speed.)

I found the speedo on my stock NC to be somewhat optimistic compared to GPS, but then I've revised the stock gearing, now running with the 39 tooth rear sprocket (couldn't locate a -1 tooth countershaft sprocket) and it's now slightly pessimistic. Either way, not enough for me to be overly concerned about attracting unwanted attention.

Well, I now know why the speedometer is way off. The original owner had a new chain and sprockets installed by his local Honda dealer. The dealer's tech put on a 43T rear sprocket, which is standard for the non-DCT NC. The DCT calls for a 39-tooth sprocket. So I'm stuck until it's time to change chain, which I may do sooner than later.
Have a long trip planned for July. Might like an accurate speedo and would like to experience the DCT as designed.
Makes me wonder what goes on in a cycle shop...

Well, I now know why the speedometer is way off. The original owner had a new chain and sprockets installed by his local Honda dealer. The dealer's tech put on a 43T rear sprocket, which is standard for the non-DCT NC. The DCT calls for a 39-tooth sprocket. So I'm stuck until it's time to change chain, which I may do sooner than later.
Have a long trip planned for July. Might like an accurate speedo and would like to experience the DCT as designed.
Makes me wonder what goes on in a cycle shop...

hahaha I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out why my chain adjuster end caps were different looking than everybody else's, and when I went to adjust my chain for the first time, was annoyed at the idiotic design which made the task difficult. Almost as if the end plates had been put on backwards.

...which of course turned out to be the case. When I had taken my bike in for the first 2012 model run of drive chain recall replacements, the dealer had put on a chain for a DCT versus a manual trans (112 links versus 114) (thanks 670cc lol) so because the chain was now too short, they had to reverse the end caps to be able to put it back together.

Of course no mention was made to me of this. I would have complained if I had known at the time, but since it was years after the fact when I finally found out, and since I've only ever had to adjust the chain that one time anyway, meh. I'm not all bent over it.

Last edited:
Yeah. My problem is working with the small calculator keys on the Casio calculatir while I'm riding in order to determine my true speed. All that math is a distraction. Those keys are sooo small. ;p}

hahaha I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out why my chain adjuster end caps were different looking than everybody else's, and when I went to adjust my chain for the first time, was annoyed at the idiotic design which made the task difficult. Almost as if the end plates had been put on backwards.

...which of course turned out to be the case. When I had taken my bike in for the first 2012 model run of drive chain recall replacements, the dealer had put on a chain for a DCT versus a manual trans (112 links versus 114) (thanks 670cc lol) so because the chain was now too short, they had to reverse the end caps to be able to put it back together.

Of course no mention was made to me of this. I would have complained if I had known at the time, but since it was years after the fact when I finally found out, and since I've only ever had to adjust the chain that one time anyway, meh. I'm not all bent over it.

This is why I bought the service manual and plan to do all maintenance myself, rather than pay someone to screw up my bike. :)

Back