fork oil level with Race Tech Gold Valve

serge

Reaction score
Visit site
After 5 years of bike ownership, I finally decided to install RT cartridge emulator.
Now I am confused about the fork oil level - RT recommends 120 mm
The service manual recommends 104 mm

keeping in mind that the emulator displaces some oil, following RT instruction will result in substantially less oil in the forks ...
am I missing something here?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Use the Race Tech level. It is measured before you assemble the spring stack so the RT level is lower than stock recommendation. You are not missing anything.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems that if the emulator will displace some oil, that is possibly why you would want start with a lower oil level before installing the emulator. On final assembly when all the parts are installed, maybe it brings the operating oil
level back up toward where the stock level was.

serge

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for your quick replies!

"The oil level is set with the Emulator submerged in oil" per RT instructions
but indeed before the spring goes in.
So I would guess this 120 mm level is counted for displacement by RT springs which are thicker than stock?
I am planning to reuse stock springs, so shall I set the stock height?
I guess 15 mm oil level difference is not that big to fuss about ...

I ordered an emulator from E-bay and did not get it yet, so only reading instructions on the website

(oil level step 14 on this link)

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps RT is not trying to mimmic Honda’s stock oil level, but through testing they have arrived at their own ideal oil level. Like you say, 15mm difference is not much to fuss about.

Wedders

Reaction score
Visit site
I fitted gold emulators with RT oil level and they work fine far, far better than standard.
I first had a problem I will try to explain. When adding the oil you should pump the fork, but if the emulator is in it displaces it to lie sideways so when you install the spring the fork won’t work. I used the measurement of the emulator I think was 25mm added to the 120mm =145. This is how I set the air gap then inserted the emulator which then makes the gap 120mm and proceeded from there.
I hope I have shed some light on the potential problem because you won’t find it until you have reinstalled the forks and they won’t work.