• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Front brake conversion

Wedders

Reaction score
Visit site
I have fitted a Brembo disc and pads, HEL braided lines, serviced the caliper and master cylinder and I am still not happy with the grab of the brake. In the past I’ve had bikes with far superior twin disc setups and miss them.
Has anyone managed to modify the front brake to increase the performance?
Please don’t tell me the brake is adequate for the bike as it probably is, but I want better and it’s a personal choice.

What was the Honda engineers thinking about with the single rotor design on the front of a NC?
Was it supposed to be a scooter?
CB500X has dual front rotors, might be adaptable.

CBR650R has dual rotors with the same size front tire too.​

Last edited:
What was the Honda engineers thinking about with the single rotor design on the front of a NC?

Honda was probably thinking they could control costs by using one rotor on the NCX and still have a very adequate front brake.

I have fitted a Brembo disc and pads, HEL braided lines, serviced the caliper and master cylinder and I am still not happy with the grab of the brake. In the past I’ve had bikes with far superior twin disc setups and miss them.
Has anyone managed to modify the front brake to increase the performance?
Please don’t tell me the brake is adequate for the bike as it probably is, but I want better and it’s a personal choice.
It reads like you have basically changed pad material and expected significantly different results. As dduelin suggested, go all Brembo. My Zero motorcycle has a single disk J.Juan front brake system and it “feels” stronger than the Honda NC.

Another option is to forget the Brembo and try a three piston front caliper from a 2012 or 2013 ABS NC700X. Plumb all three pistons to the stock front master. I believe this will give you more mechanical advantage but you’ll need to pull the lever a little farther.

Probably a price point thing as the original 6 speed manual 2012 came in somewhat less expensive than contemporary competitors. I think it’s worth noting in reviews back then the NC stopped 60-0 mph at least as short and somewhat shorter than some 600cc sport bikes. It doesn’t lack stopping power It’s the lever feel that can use improvement and I hope it can be done by the OP.

I find the brakes adequate but I can understand wanting more. The NC is a budget bike for sure. Both front and rear disc are pressed from one blank, the rear is the centre of the front so very efficient use of material. Twin discs up front would leave Honda with a surplus of rears...

It reads like you have basically changed pad material and expected significantly different results. As dduelin suggested, go all Brembo. My Zero motorcycle has a single disk J.Juan front brake system and it “feels” stronger than the Honda NC.

Another option is to forget the Brembo and try a three piston front caliper from a 2012 or 2013 ABS NC700X. Plumb all three pistons to the stock front master. I believe this will give you more mechanical advantage but you’ll need to pull the lever a little farther.
I have changed the disc and pads to Brembo all lines to HEL braided and the master cylinder to 14mm VFR800.
Is the 3 piston nc700x a straight swap or does it need an adaptor? In for a penny in for a pound.
Thanks

The master cylinder is the same and the caliper bracket on the fork leg is the same. Aside from the different three piston caliper a set of brake lines that split the hose from the master cylinder to two inlets on the three pot caliper is necessary.

Last edited:
The master cylinder is the same and the caliper bracket is the same. Aside from the different three piston caliper a set of brake lines that split the hose from the master cylinder to two inlets is necessary.
Thanks for the info. Will now consider trying that but one last question, does the abs sensor line up ok?

Thanks for the info. Will now consider trying that but one last question, does the abs sensor line up ok?
That is a great question. In the USA ABS only came on DCT bikes and a closer look at the caliper brackets shows a different part number for the ABS bracket vs non-ABS. I would consult a UK parts retailer or UK parts fiche site to make sure the 2012-2013 three piston caliper bracket is the same part number for ABS. If it is a ABS bike the sensor holes on the bracket will line up the sensor with the pulse ring. US spec bikes only had the three pot caliper in 2012-2013.

To mount the 3 piston caliper, you may also need to replace the caliper mount with the compatible part. That was the case when going from a non ABS 2 piston to the 3 piston. Compare part numbers to see what is needed on your particular motorcycle. The mount has the hole in it to mount the ABS sensor, and it will line up with the ABS ring.

A bit of history: the 2012 and 2013 ABS models had a true combined braking system where the center front piston was operated by the rear master cylinder, with some valving in between. After 2013, that feature went away. To use the three piston caliper alone, you’ll need to add a jumper hose to connect the three front slave cylinders together. See photo.

We had a forum member that did this 3 piston modification a long time ago. There are several threads that mention the project, but here, I think, is the thread that started it all: https://nc700-forum.com/threads/extreme-farkling-whoa-nellie.822/ Search the forum for “3 piston” under user “beemerphile” for more past posts. There seem to be many.

I actually bought this same motorcycle from the modifier and the brake did work well. However, I was not unhappy with the original 2 piston setup, thus was not looking for or especially amazed with the modification’s improvement. The original owner seemed to think it was a good, worthwhile improvement. I have since sold that bike so I can’t refer to it to offer any further detailed help.

A1F2E992-DD3D-4DE9-8DC5-47DE81BCDC04.jpeg

Last edited:
I did the Brembo Rotor/Stainless line upgrade over a year ago and while the lever requires a much firmer pull than my sportier bikes, the NC will stop just as hard as anything I own. Late last year I had a vehicle panic stop just in front of me and I was impressed with just how quickly the NC came to a stop, it even lifted the rear off the ground. It took the rotor, and the new OEM pads, well over a hundred miles to bed in and show some improved performance. The best feature to me is the complete lack of brake pulsation that the original petal rotor suffered from.

I was perusing older threads here looking for a better front braking solution after recently crashing my 2018 NC. I have it all put back to new condition now and would like to keep it that way, but doesn’t seem to be any way to upgrade the brake system. I am not a fast rider and still the brakes just don’t seem sufficient. Might be time to take the newly cleaned up NC and shop the Transalp. Although once you get used to that frunk it would be hard to live without it.

I was perusing older threads here looking for a better front braking solution after recently crashing my 2018 NC. I have it all put back to new condition now and would like to keep it that way, but doesn’t seem to be any way to upgrade the brake system. I am not a fast rider and still the brakes just don’t seem sufficient. Might be time to take the newly cleaned up NC and shop the Transalp. Although once you get used to that frunk it would be hard to live without it.
I have done the modification posted above and find the brake a lot better but not as good as a twin disc setup.
BTW I have tidied up the rubber on the abs/sensor lead I should have done it before the photo. And not mentioned in other posts had to fit an ABS sensor from a 2012/13.

Attachments

• IMG_0435.jpeg
    IMG_0435.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
I have done the modification posted above and find the brake a lot better but not as good as a twin disc setup.
BTW I have tidied up the rubber on the abs/sensor lead I should have done it before the photo. And not mentioned in other posts had to fit an ABS sensor from a 2012/13.
Good work!

I did the Brembo Rotor/Stainless line upgrade over a year ago and while the lever requires a much firmer pull than my sportier bikes, the NC will stop just as hard as anything I own. Late last year I had a vehicle panic stop just in front of me and I was impressed with just how quickly the NC came to a stop, it even lifted the rear off the ground. It took the rotor, and the new OEM pads, well over a hundred miles to bed in and show some improved performance. The best feature to me is the complete lack of brake pulsation that the original petal rotor suffered from.
Can you please give a parts list by part number to do this upgrade please?

I used to have BMW GS with the servo brakes--1 finger brakes--the Honda single disc brakes are more than adequate for what this bike is. Geez guys, have any of you ever ridden a bike from the 60s with drums???and even those worked fine---I don't think anyone is doing stoppies on this bike!

As a point of reference when Motorcycle Consumer News reviewed the NC700X in 2012 their standardized 60-0 mph stopping distance placed it in the middle of contemporary 600cc supersport motorcycles. The test bike IIRC was a manual transmission model with two piston front brake caliper. The 2012-2013 DCT models have a stronger three pot caliper with ABS. For a one disc setup it stops surprisingly well though a braided steel line undoubtedly improves feel. Stock pads are HH rated.

Back