• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Frunk: Pushbutton access?

ADWaddell

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone out there make an accessory pushbutton to open the frunk instead of having to use the key to open it? It's annoying if I'm at a long left-turn stoplight or similar and would like to get into my frunk to take a quick sip of water or something. It's way too fiddly to hit neutral, shut the bike off, pull the keys, put it into the frunk, open the frunk, grab the water bottle, take a quick drink, throw the bottle back in, lock it up, get the keys back out, put them in the ignition and get the bike restarted and reselect the gears. A lot of screwing around for something that should take 10 seconds at the most if there was someone making an accessory for the frunk that is a pushbutton to release the frunk instead of an ignition key required.

Ideally, the pushbutton would also have a lock feature, so if you wanted to you could lock it when you're leaving the bike, but could unlock it to be a pushbutton access when you ride. Betcha I'm not the only one who is frustrated with the unusability of the frunk without having to do all the fiddling. (2018 NC750XD if it matters).

As post #2 says, a dedicated frunk key is probably the way to go. I have made one, as have many of us. The advantage of a dedicated frunk key over a pushbotton latch is that you can take the key with you if you suspect theft of frunk contents might be a problem. Nonetheless, the dedicated frunk key can’t be used to turn on the motorcycle, because if you build it right, it is too short to do so.

Sounds good everybody. Gonna go to my neighborhood locksmith and see if we can find a blank that'll do the trick.

I did the frunk key with a little black cap from a spray can or something I found in garage---just leave it in there most of the time--nobody knows what it is.... Ace Hardware guy had to cut a couple to make it work

I'll probably get slammed for this but, may I ask, what would be wrong with just putting some sort of a small water bottle style holder on the handle bars someplace? I know hanging stuff like that is not for everyone but, it sure seems like it would solve the OP's issue. Just guessing.
Scott

Does anyone out there make an accessory pushbutton to open the frunk instead of having to use the key to open it? It's annoying if I'm at a long left-turn stoplight or similar and would like to get into my frunk to take a quick sip of water or something. It's way too fiddly to hit neutral, shut the bike off, pull the keys, put it into the frunk, open the frunk, grab the water bottle, take a quick drink, throw the bottle back in, lock it up, get the keys back out, put them in the ignition and get the bike restarted and reselect the gears. A lot of screwing around for something that should take 10 seconds at the most if there was someone making an accessory for the frunk that is a pushbutton to release the frunk instead of an ignition key required.

Ideally, the pushbutton would also have a lock feature, so if you wanted to you could lock it when you're leaving the bike, but could unlock it to be a pushbutton access when you ride. Betcha I'm not the only one who is frustrated with the unusability of the frunk without having to do all the fiddling. (2018 NC750XD if it matters).
Maybe get a spare key made from a blank that doesn't have much of a head (or cut it off) and just leave it in the frunk while you're riding?

The 21-23 use a Wave key and the blank is expensive and so is the cutting. Then you need an aerosol cap and some epoxy. I made mine short like 670 said and it wont work the ignition and I just leave it in all the time. My buddy made his long and it acts as a spare ign key, which he removes whenever he leaves the bike out of sight, but then he always has a spare key with him.

Thanks, I was just about to ask who might know the key blank number for my 2018, which has the "wave" key you mention (see photo).

Attachments

• 2018 ign key.jpg
    2018 ign key.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 19
Otwieranie mam robione przyciskiem, dołożony selenoid z linką stalową, zasilanie po włączeniu zapłonu, linka podłączona do dźwigni zwalniającej zamek, działa już kilka lat bez żadnych problemów

Back