• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

G2 Throttle Tamer - Couple of Questions

belrix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting ready to install a G2 throttle tamer on my NCX and have a couple of questions.

How hard is the OEM grip to remove off of the stock tube?

Would it make sense just to get a new grip? Are there better options than OEM?

Should I use Honda grip glue when installing the grip?

Thanks!

brian

It's almost impossible to get the grip off the Throttle Pipe (Japanese wording). The throttle pipe has dozens of raised edges to help hold the grip in place so it doesn't exactly slip off easily, even with contact cleaner and using a big screwdriver for prying. My thought is that they do this to eliminate having to use glue to hold the grip in place at the factory.

ps. I've been using 3M weatherstrip cement (aka: Gorilla Snot) for grips since the 70s!

It is possible to remove the grip with a very thin, but long flathead screwdriver, wd-40 and compressed air (from a real compressor).
But if you think it is easier to get new grips (which I recommend), you should do it :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I just cut the throttle grip - it was worn - when I installed the G2 and replaced both grips. I didn't glue the new grips. They seem to be quite stable without any adhesive. The grips I used were pretty expensive though. Not sure about cheaper ones.

Yeah what dirtflier said. Might be a good time to do heated grips! I cut mine off when I did the heated grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im kind of interested in the G2. I didnt think i needed it until i got on a pretty ruff dirt road and was standing. You hit a bump wrong and the stock throttle gives you way too much juice.

Thanks for all the replies!

Will just put a new grip on the throttle tamer, that way I can revert back to stock easily if I want to.

Now which new grips to get??? Spoiled for choices!

As said CDA 441 a Long thin flathead screwdriver and W40 do the job, I did it to fit my heating grips,

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies!

Will just put a new grip on the throttle tamer, that way I can revert back to stock easily if I want to.

Now which new grips to get??? Spoiled for choices!

Get some oxford hot grips :) I heard they were absolutely phenomenal :)

When I replaced the grips on the CRF I used hairspray as highly advised by very experienced people. Provides a lubricant to help get them on and then works like a glue once dry. Also doesn't make removal hard like grip glue. I use these ProTaper Pillow Top MX Grips | Dirt Bike | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC a whole $12.

BTW grips are 2 different sizes for throttle side and clutch side. I didn't realize that at first and was wondering why the grip was so loose on the clutch side. Then I pulled the other grip out of the packaging and had a duh moment.

Also there is a flange on the end of the throttle tube. Dremel it off to get the new grips on. I have also heard of people dremeling the nubs down. I didn't find it necessary to do that.

One last thing, why doesn't spellcheck know that dremeling is a word?

Didn't use any hairspray or glue. Recommendations from Domino Grips that I bought from the G2 peeps said it really wasn't necessary to do anything but use their installation procedure with most bars and with the G2. They appear to have been right. If I was really worried I'd use mx/enduro wire.

Throttle tube removal failure!!!

Looks like I'm going to need to remove my crash bars to reach the throttle cable adjusters on the throttle body. I need to loosen them to get enough slack to remove the throttle tube.

Grrr! Was trying to do this at work over lunch, but don't have the 'big' tools required to remove the crash bar bolts on the NCX.

Bummer!

bamamate is spot-on as far as I'm concerned. Hairspray is your best friend when installing new grips. Wet them down, slide them on. The hairspray will give you some time to line everything up perfectly, then wait overnight. I've never had grips move after installation using this method, but unlike glue they are dead simple to remove when it's time and the hairspray leaves no noticeable residue.

The aggravating raised "pattern" on some stock throttle tubes is best ground away with a Dremel or similar so universal grips can fit. The throttle-side grip is thinner than the clutch-side grip so each can have the same outer diameter.

I'm a huge fan of the gel Pro-Grips. They're worth their weight in gold compared to some low-traction grips that practically give you cramps just to keep the throttle steadily open on a long ride.

Back