• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Geocaching and the NC700

SergeantChuck

Commuter Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Geocaching_TableBanner_inline.jpg

Geocaching and your NC700
What is Geocaching? Geocaching is an outdoor recreational activity, in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or mobile device and other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", anywhere in the world.

A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook where the geocacher enters the date they found it and signs it with their established code name. After signing the log, the cache must be placed back exactly where the person found it. Larger containers such as plastic storage containers (Tupperware or similar) or ammunition boxes can also contain items for trading, usually toys or trinkets of little financial value, although sometimes they are sentimental.

Read more: Ideas for Hiding for Geocaching | eHow

I have been Geocaching since 2005. In the beginning I had to use a handheld GPS to located geocaches. When smart phones hit the scene it allowed me to leave behind the handheld GPS and use my smart phone. You will need to become a registered user on the geoching.com. It is FREE although the do offer a $30 annual membership with access to more features. The free version works just fine.

Most geochaces are hidden around “Points of Interest. State parks, places to eat, tourist attractions, cemeteries, unknown areas of a town or a hidden monuments. They are most always hidden somewhere interesting.

I knew the NC700X would make a good geocaching vehicle. In the past I used my CBR and a paper map to get myself to the general location. Once there I would dismount and use my handheld GPS and then graduated to the phone. It wasn’t until recently it got even easier. I can now do everything with only my smart phone and the NCX. The phone is mounted to the NCX with a RAM mount and it has constant power with the 12V socket. There are several motorcycle groups that plan rides round geocaching. The article below is just one example.

Motorcycle Geocaching ? Two Wheels, One Mission to Explore ? The Geocaching Blog

I use my Samsung Galaxy S4 and an app called C:Geo. This app is free. There are several apps available but I am familiar with this one. I will attach some photos for a quick step by step to demonstrate how easy it is to use the app.

When you open C:Geo you are brought to the main screen. I typically select “Live Map”. This shows you geocaches very near to you.

live map.jpg

This will open the next page showing all close by geocaches.

geo nearby.jpg

Tap on a geocache you have not found. Looks like a green book enclosed by a circle. This brings you to the basic info screen.

initial info.jpg

Click the bar that says “More Details”. This page gives you access to several options.

detail info.jpg

Click the “Menu Button” on your phone while on this screen and a small pop-up menu will appear at bottom.

menu screen.jpg

Click “Navigate” from the pop-up menu.

chose navigate.jpg

At this point you can chose how you need to proceed. If you’re driving to the geocache you would select “Navigation (Driving)”. If you are at the geocache site you can select “Compass or Navigation (Walking).

drive directions.jpg

compass.jpg

Once you get to the geocaching site the search begins. Maybe you immediately stumbled on the geocache that you were looking for or perhaps it took you a couple of painstaking hours, searching high and low to find a particularly devilishly hidden cache. It really doesn't matter in the end, though, because you succeeded and found the cache. Congratulations! Savor the moment. There's definitely a sense of accomplishment when you discover a cache, and a little bit of child-like wonder as you open up the container to see the treasures inside.

geocache-hide-fence-pole-02.jpg

Looks like alot more fun than searching for weapons caches like I did at my last job. There are several threads on advrider that I have seen and some of their hiding spots are pretty creative.

I have never been on that site but I am not surprised there is mention of it. I know several people that ride and geocache. It's just another excuse to get out on the bike and ride.

When i tried to sign up its wants a credit card to validate.is there a way around that?it says won't be charged so no reason for it.

They are everywhere. This is a very popular game. When I make state to state trips I plot the caches close to the interstate. They are normally located in every rest stop. If you live in a big city there may well be over 1000.

I found one just the other day whilst out on my NCS :) They are planted or hidden much closer together in the UK though & it's easier to find them on a walk. Riding from cache to cache can mean very short rides :)

T

Stuart

Nice. That's seems a little close but people get excited and start placing them everywhere. Most of the caches around my house are several blocks apart.

Fascinating. I have vaguely known about the whole idea for a gazillion years now of course, but all it took was a couple words in the sentence: "...or perhaps it took you a couple of painstaking hours, searching high and low to find a particularly devilishly hidden cache..." and that picture of the tube in the fence post, to make me think of it differently.

It never captured my interest too much, because I didn't know/think about the things being deliberately hidden, hidden. I know that sounds dumb, but I thought these things were pretty exact as far as where they were located; and the fun was simply in the hike to it, or the contents therein, but they were only covered up from casual observation so they weren't stolen or whatever.

I didn't really contemplate a fiendish search once you were in the general vicinity, lol. That sounds like much more fun to me! :D

8 or so years ago when my Dad got his first handheld GPS he discovered geocaching, and so the family got loaded up into the faithful Toyota Previa and off we went. It was fun the first few times, but we decided it wasn't for us when we almost took the tranny out of the van on a rock, then had a run-in with an aggressive-sounding rottweiler. I guess any advice I have is make sure where you're going isn't actually private property. Or somebody's weed patch.

A majority of the caches lately seem to be what they call "Micro Caches". There are still plenty of the good ole large containers with small trade items for kids. The slight shift to micro containers makes it a lot easier to hide a cache and make it very difficult to find. I have seen all kinds of containers.

I once found a cache where the coordinates took you to a tree. You knew it had to be at this specific tree but you could not find anything. While taking a breather I looked up and saw a string tied to a nail. The string went up at an angle to another tree where a birds nest was suspended. The birds nest, which was 30' in the air, had a geocaching sticker on the bottom.

There are good sized rocks with hole burrowed in them for a container. There are large bolts that are hollowed large enough for a log. There are electrical outlets magnetically attached to a metal box that have been converted to a cache container. The list goes on. People get very creative and intentionally try to make them hard to find.

Took the NCX out for some Geocaching today. Figured I would share a couple of my finds.

My first stop was at the Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery. Lots of caches are hidden with permission in cemetery. This particular cemetery is reported to be the site of a mass grave of 1,500 confederate soldiers that died from various diseases.

Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery - Encyclopedia of Arkansas

20131013_151203.jpg

20131013_151642.jpg

The cache was hidden in a nearby tree. A small waterproof container with a paper log inside. I took our the log, wrote my username and todays date.

20131013_151447.jpg

My next stop was the Old Austin Cemetery. The cache was hidden under the plate that covers the mounting bolts for the flag pole.

20131013_153815.jpg

20131013_153257.jpg

The final one I'll post was at a very old cemetery call "Russ Cemetery". This cache wasn't hidden in the cemetery but was in a tree just outside the gate.

20131013_160506.jpg

20131013_160448.jpg

I need to try again.my app from play place didn't work out.or its me lol

What kind of phone do you have? I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4 with the App C:/Geo.

I like this app because once you have selected a geocache you can navigate to it with verbal instructions (uses google maps) and once your at the cache site you switch to compass navigation to walk yourself into the exact location. Plus you can log the find immediately without having to go to the website.

Instead of posting my pictures in the "What did you do with you NCX today" I'll just post them here. If I'm not riding my NCX to work I am probably riding it to find a Geocache. I don't really get out on the highway for long trips but I can easily spend 6 hours riding around the countryside finding caches. I spent a couple hours today and will post pictures of one of my finds. Nothing special but the love the landscape in Arkansas. I found around 15 today and all of them were along AR-367 between Searcy, AR and Cabot, AR.

20131018_163613.jpg

20131018_163332.jpg

Cache is in the old 35mm film bottle - Contents is only a paper log to register your find.
20131018_163623.jpg

8 or so years ago when my Dad got his first handheld GPS he discovered geocaching, and so the family got loaded up into the faithful Toyota Previa and off we went. It was fun the first few times, but we decided it wasn't for us when we almost took the tranny out of the van on a rock, then had a run-in with an aggressive-sounding rottweiler. I guess any advice I have is make sure where you're going isn't actually private property. Or somebody's weed patch.

I have been lucky over the years and never been chased by any dogs and ran off by a upset land owner. There are rules in place to prevent such location choices but that doesn't mean everyone obeys them. If on private property your supposed to get permission but it is good advice nonetheless. If it is on private property there is usually a statement in the description that states they have been given permission. Hopefully.

Back