• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Givi E36s vs V35s...what to do?

Rob Ray

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

The NC is coming along nicely....I have my madstad in place now and my centerstand...after 1200 miles the seat is even starting to break in and feel comfy!!!

Now all I need are side cases and I'm set for some longer trips....hope to spend several days in Arkansas in Mid. September.

I have two E36's with the internal straps that only spent a few days on my last Vstrom...so like new...so all I would need is the mounting hardware.

BUT....I love the looks of the V35's on the NC 700...I assume people are using the "gloss" silver on the 2012 model...the ones I've seen look great!

If both bags used the same mounting hard ware, I could buy it, use my 36's and then upgrade...but the hardware is different....SO...what to do.

On the cheap....getting hardware for the 36's would be the way to go...but I think the V35's just look OEM and great on the bike.

Any input from people with these bag set-ups would be helpful....also does MOTECH make mounting hardware that has any advantage over the give mounting brackets?

Thanks,
ROB Ray

Maybe try to sell the E36s and try to recoup some of the cost. The V35s do look good. I'm cheap, so I know what I'd do...keep the E36s.

Sw-motech brackets allow you to mount just about any type of bag and are easily removable if you want to ride without side cases. No brackets showing.

You might want to check out the givi trekker cases. While they don't have the rounded contours, they open from the top while mounted as well as normally. This make accessing the cases on the bike much nicer as you don't have to worry about the contents falling out if you open them while they are on the bike.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Get what you want if you can afford it. After the check clears or the credit card statement is filed the $$$ pain is over but the pleasure they give your eye will last a long time.

There is one other thing you may want to consider. If you keep the E36 cases and get quick release SW-Motech mounts, you will be able to easily remove the mounts as well as the bags any time you want. The last time I looked, no one makes quick release mounts for the V35 cases. Of course if you don't plan on ever removing the mounts anyway, it won't make any difference.

Bob

Those look like they may open from the top on the bike as well... do these cases open from the top like the trekkers do?
Top opening vs side opening is a dilemma. With side opening cases you have to come up with straps, nets or dividers to keep your stuff from falling out when the case is opened but if organized its all right there in place. In a top loader everything falls to the bottom and its harder to divide and organize but it can be done. It's also harder to stuff outsized items through the smaller opening in a top loader.

Both types have their advantages.

Last edited:
The E series has a great strap system that comes in the case.Here us what I do,I use the the GIVI's for traveling when we are staying in hotel/motels because I can just carry them in to the room.I use top loading Ammo cans for camping/adventure riding so there easy to get into on the trail.

I bought these SEAHORSE 720 cases for my wifes bike.They are side opening,watertight,vented,super rigid AND they are under $50 a peice with free shipping.I built my own racks and made the cases removable just like the Givi's.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376686988.084533.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376687031.365813.jpg
u4ynemeh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The E series has a great strap system that comes in the case.Here us what I do,I use the the GIVI's for traveling when we are staying in hotel/motels because I can just carry them in to the room.I use top loading Ammo cans for camping/adventure riding so there easy to get into on the trail.

I bought these SEAHORSE 720 cases for my wifes bike.They are side opening,watertight,vented,super rigid AND they are under $50 a peice with free shipping.I built my own racks and made the cases removable just like the Givi's.
View attachment 7412
View attachment 7413
u4ynemeh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe mine are E360 and E460, and as you said they are side loading. Only the trekkers do both I guess giving you the best of both worlds.

Northwest rider, what kind of tank bag are you using, planing a trip too Arkansas in October and my magnetic bag what do.
Thanks

Bluecrab you can get the suction cup straps from rapid transit if you have D rings on your tank bag to attach them to. That is what I did and am using my magnetic tank bag now on the ncx. Frunk opens normally with it attached

Last edited:
Top opening vs side opening is a dilemma.

I have a strong preference for side opening bags. I have always resolved the dilemma with a set of fitted bag liners. With my BMW's I normally bought the Kathy's liners. With my Honda ST is was Bestem.. With the V35's I just bought the Givi items. Even when tightly packed, they are still easily inserted into the bags.

I also have a fitted liner for the Frunk.

DSCN4562.jpg
Frogg Toggs, Gerbings Jacket, regular jacket liner, air compressor and tire plugging kit .
DSCN4564.jpg
All the other odds and ends, divider keeps everything in place. This is my left case it never changes , if going to store or across country. The right case gets the clothes.

Back