• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Got new tyres. Now what?

Ticopilot

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I just got myself a couple of Michellin PR4's. Need to change the current Pirellis the NC came with stock. Now, this is the first time I get to change tyres since the bike I started with and changed for the NCX, I sold with decent wear tread. That being said, I have never riden with new tyres because my NCX was a demo when I bought it. What will be the best way to drive and tame the new rubber? What to do and what not to do?
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I was told 30 minutes or so of conservative but good speed riding to heat up the tires to wear off the mold release. Definitely no fast curves right off the bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told 30 minutes or so of conservative but good speed riding to heat up the tires to wear off the mold release. Definitely no fast curves right off the bat.

Good advice and +1 on that. PR4's really suit this bike.

Ride sensibly.
No heavy acceleration and don't go into the corner's too fast or lean too far.
100 miles is the usual distance needed to heat up the tires.
it usually takes a little while to get used to new tires anyway, especially if you're used to riding a tire which had little tread and maybe a flat spot.
The intent is to heat the tires -- not to "scrub" them in.
Ride safe.

I should add the PR4s were my first set after the very poor Dunlop OEMs. Per Jayceegee said, it was very different - but in a great way. I felt much more "stuck to the road" especially in corners. Took some getting used to but in a very good way.

Oh and don't race out of the garage or dealer either, there's some goofy videos on YouTube of idiots racing out of the lot on new tires

amazing how there's always someone there to shoot vids too! ; }

When I got the PR4's for my NC700X, I don't recall riding any different than when I had the OEM.
What I did notice was how much better they were, all around.

I like everything that has been said about heating up tires. I rode like the road was wet during the first 200 km to break it in.

just have a casual ride for about 20min and gradually lean into corner.

the pr4 is really good tyre to go into the edge, after running in.

Back