• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

GPS advice needed

It's a Kyocera hydro air
They were $40 at Walmart but they sold out so I bought mine on Amazon.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

Just ordered one for $42 (shipped) from Amazon. Thanks for the advice!

I'm planning to run it as GPS device ONLY.

Can it operate with NO SIM card?

Can I slave it to my cell phone via bluetooth for traffic updates?
The TomTom smartphone software supports that...

Last edited:
Interesting...that is probably more a function of the maps you are using rather than the actual GPS units themselves. I've also run two side by side and found the ETAs to be almost identical. Often within a couple of minutes on a 1,000 mile route (!)

You say that the 590 is complex...maybe there is something in the settings that isn't correct as mine does not have the ETA issue you are experiencing. Or, perhaps it has something to do with the North American maps that we use over here ?? Doesn't make sense that using the same maps the two units would have such wildly different ETA unless something was amiss...

I have created one route using either mapsource or basecamp and then transported that single route to both Units. 550 always gets the more accurate time and the 590 always varies always on a greater time. A friend using the same two units has found exactly the same. He also has a 660 Zumo and it has a similar accuracy to the 550. We are both reasonably proficient in the use of these units and their various settings. We have checked settings over and over. We have searched the web, etc etc. We have sent samples to Garmin and they cannot figure it out. Needless to say, as both units approach destination then the 590 gradually comes into line with the 550 on its ETA. Its at the beginning of the route that it is very inaccurate.

Are You comparing two similar units to mine as in 550/590 ?

Yes I'm running mine as a GPS only with no SIM card.I just use my wifi at home for downloads.
My suggestion would be to get LOCUS for your GPS program.I tried Osmand first and the GPX tracks would not show up.Locus worked perfect for me.Also the phone doesn't have much memory but accepts a micro SD card.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

Zumo 340/350/390LM + Basecamp, best invention since canned beer. The Mrs and I each have a Zumo 3x0 satnav and we take on our trips an 11" netbook with Basecamp installed. We made room for it by ditching paper books for two e-readers. Mind you, a set of good maps (in EU 1:200,000) still comes in handy for planning the routes. A major advantage of BC is that it works off-line with the very same maps as installed on the satnavs, which makes it very suitable for camping trips.

I am 63 and even i know how yesterday dedicated gps units are. smartphones annihilate all dedicated money grabbing drink the kool aid zumo and everything else. Want to step up? Buy a tablet and say goodbye to laptop, dedicated gps and smartphone if you choose cell tower coverage. You can map everything on google my maps and download .kml files to galileo, maps.me and several others via email or dropbox. Maybe i lived too long without turn by turn voice? Useful about 1% of the time if you can study a map for 5 mins before departure. Bear in mind I do not ride in cities and stay off the interstate whenever possible.

Back