• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

GPS mounting using existing Vstream brackets...Any ideas how?

ld_rider

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to mount my Garmin 2820 Street Pilot using existing brackets. The National Cycle Vstream has a reasonably robust mount that if I could use, would put the GPS at a nice level for viewing. Since it wouldn't be turning with the bars, I think it might also make routing the wires a bit easier.

The horizontal bar is where I would like the mount to attach. The bar is only about 1/2 inch (.530 with a dial caliper) in diameter and about 1.5 inches from the windscreen.

One of my concerns is that since the windscreen is so close to that bar, the mount and GPS will need to be cantilevered towards the rider, putting stress on whichever type of attachment is used between the bar and mount. I had this same GPS mounted on my GL1800 using a 4 inch long RAM arm and every couple of hundred miles the arm would slowly droop down, bringing the GPS with it. Made no difference how much I tightened it.

Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback from everyone to all my questions regarding setting up this new motorcycle and welcome any ideas you might have getting this GPS mounted.

Edit: That white thing mounted w/velcro on top of the instrument cluster is a toll pass, I can move it to anywhere.
TIA

IMG_5673-M.jpg

IMG_5672-M.jpg

Last edited:
I have tried mounting gps to the windshield, or fairing mounts does not work for me, to much movement. Them best place is the bars, the movement and vibrations are less, and a shorter reach.

I might give up on the idea of mounting to the horizontal cross bar of the Vstream. What I really need is some sort of shelf like I had on the GL1800...This is a "farkle shelf" made by Firecreek...Was able to mount both the 2820 and a 478, remote alert for the Valentine One, a nice flexible necked map lamp, a hockey puck sized XM antenna and probably some other stuff I forgot...The shelf was heavy (steel) and could only mount to their Windbender windscreen so it won't work on the NC...

IMG_3982-L.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with Dale: with exposed bars, the handlebar with a Ram mount is the way to go. Assuming that you're not riding to get lost in the first place. ;)

the shelf is made by a friend of mind who lives just a few miles away. i also use the farkle shelf on my f6b. I also use his electric windshield. Dale

Yous guys with 2 GPS's? Why? I can ride from my Az home to NC home with my cell phone, has gps, XM and internet radio with all the local stations from all the places I lived. Samsung S4 with $10 model specific mount from fleebay and good earbuds, takes up the center section of handlebars. I don't really need a GPS, just get on rt 40 in Az, go 2100 miles, when I hit Greensboro it's 5 miles south of rt 40, right, left, a right and I'm home. Data used for the round trip is less than 2 gig. Just sayin...

Yous guys with 2 GPS's? Why?.
I have two because I run competitive rallies and (hopefully) it helps psych-out my competitors :)

2820 gives me bluetooth connectivity to my iPhone and allows me to route to my main bonus. The 478 (on the right) might be set to NexRAD weather radar at a checkpoint 600 miles away, keeping me informed of weather conditions.

I don't have to toggle between two screens on a single GPS. Instead, I can set one screen to one route, the other screen to a different route. I can hunt for one bonus on one GPS and keep and eye on the vector to the second or third bonus, checkpoint, etc, on the second GPS.

Each GPS allows me download routes that I have made on a personal computer using dozens of waypoints...Hopefully in a manner that maximizes points while producing the least mileage....Hasn't worked yet! :)

Back