• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

GPS solution request - upload custom maps and < $250

bendobe

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I will start by saying that I tried to find a similar thread but the forums search engine does not like the term "GPS". Now that I hopefully have all of the "use search" responses out of the way...

I am looking for some help finding what I am starting to believe is a unicorn. I would like a basic GPS unit that will let me upload custom maps. I have a Garmin 76CSX that I use for off road riding that works great for following a specific created route but the 2" screen and lack of on the fly routing does not leave much room for improvisation on the street. TomTom does not appear to make the "Rider" version anymore, and the Garmin Zumo or Montana are a little pricey.

I made a map yesterday, a nice 100mi loop from Denver down to Colorado Springs and back along the mountains and to use it on my phone I had to:
  1. Create the custom route in Google Maps
  2. Email the route to myself
  3. Open the route in Safari on my phone (no option to import maps into the navigation app)
  4. Stop regularly and use the Google Maps app to see where I was
  5. Check that against the map in Safari and continue

A phone mount gets me partway there but I am not going to be app switching on the fly at 50mph. I am hoping I am just missing something and there is a less expensive solution to navigation. What are you guys using? Does anybody create custom routes and use them on a non-Zumo device?

I don't have one so take this with a grain of salt, but if I go for a dedicated GPS I've pretty much decided to buy the Garmin Nuvi 550. It's waterproof, has an outdoor visible screen, and costs quite a bit less than the Zumo models. I think, but don't know for sure, that it also allows custom routes. I don't know if it would meet your target price, but you may want to check it out.

I'm sure others can give you much more definitive suggestions. Good luck in your search.

Bob

Have you looked at iPhone or Android phone possibilities? Lots cheaper exploring options than with stand alone GPS units. I tend to use the iPhone Maps and Google apps the most, but I do have another ~$25 app with a complete US map loaded in case I'm out of cell phone range. There are a number of possibilities to make maps with Google at home and share them, either directly or with a third party app (required as I understand it with iPhone), but consider the free MapQuest app. My sister loves it - her free account allows her to make routes on her computer and access them on her iPhone.

@Bob- Nuvi 550 looks like a winner, custom routing and $250 on Newegg, sold

@yticolev - I will definately check out the Mapquest app, looks like a good backup/alternative to the 550

I can suggest two options, both of which I'm using:

Iphone with IGo aplication which is in fact a standalone GPS, with downloaded maps, in my case Europe detailed for 99 chf. It works like a charm on the road

Off-road i go with Garmin e-trex 20 and this small wonder works with home-made routes. I use it also for geocashing. What i agree is that these type of device doesn't seem to have enough of processor power to calculate movement in speeds of excessing 10km/h, unless you switch off all the detailed layers (topografic maps) and leave only simple roads, so then it is questionable how useful this option is for extreme off-roading. Maybe you can "circumvent" by creating your route, plotting it in the device you have and trusting yourself you have done a good job in the first place by not choosing one way streets and pedestrian bridges :)
For me size of the Garmin screen is not that much of a problem when i get the contrast on it right

Last edited:
I use Copilot app on my android phone & tablet, it does not need a data connection to work like google maps, I have mine set up to avoid highways, and you can set multiple waypoints for a custom route. talks to me thru bluetooth with a nice British women's voice.

Osmand for android is free and can import gpx files. I haven't used it on the road yet as I'm waiting on a mount. Has online and offline modes.

I don't have one so take this with a grain of salt, but if I go for a dedicated GPS I've pretty much decided to buy the Garmin Nuvi 550. It's waterproof, has an outdoor visible screen, and costs quite a bit less than the Zumo models. I think, but don't know for sure, that it also allows custom routes. I don't know if it would meet your target price, but you may want to check it out.

I'm sure others can give you much more definitive suggestions. Good luck in your search.

Bob

it seems that Bluetooth is the only thing the 500 or 550's lack compared to the much more expensive Zumo's.

Much as I love Garmins, their price tags for the MC specific models are outrageous.

Oh, re the original topic, I use the iPhone app Waze, but it doesn't allow one to download maps in advance, as far as I know.

Last edited:
Garmin MC units are expensive but they just plain work well in a gloved, all weather environment. Good gear costs money once. If problems with them pop up their technical and customer service is very good which is worth something if you aren't into solving problems on your own.

That said the inexpensive Peaklife GPS is good reviews on disparate MC forums. It doesn't come with preloaded map software but folks have found maps and route planning software that work. If you are tech savvy and don't mind working around challenges you can poke Garmin in the eye with one of these.

Garmin MC units are expensive but they just plain work well in a gloved, all weather environment. Good gear costs money once. If problems with them pop up their technical and customer service is very good which is worth something if you aren't into solving problems on your own.

That said the inexpensive Peaklife GPS is good reviews on disparate MC forums. It doesn't come with preloaded map software but folks have found maps and route planning software that work. If you are tech savvy and don't mind working around challenges you can poke Garmin in the eye with one of these.

All true Dave, and FWIW, I own a few different Garmin devices, and am in general a big fan of the company. I've found their customer service reasonably good (hey, they actually support the Mac platform, a BIG plus in my book). Their MC offerings function ok, but we're paying prices for the MC units equivalent to those we paid for automotive Garmin Nuvi's about 5 or 6 years ago when there was no cell phone competition. Their 660/665 units are nice and do work with gloves, etc, but the hardware is outdated and embarrassingly antiquated when compared to their new crop of car units, that incidentally sell for about half the price of the MC units.

I guess we suffer from a lack of competition in the marketplace, and more problematic, low unit volumes. Garmin doesn't sell enough MC units to create economies of scale, and no other manufacturer is forcing their hand. Big hypothetical question is, if they produced a cutting edge MC version based on Garmin's new auto units, and priced it like the car units (ie $350 or so), would they sell a ton of them? I don't know.. I'd buy one, but I'm a compulsive shopper!

The Peaklife GPS or similar may be an answer, but not for me either. I'm definitely more interested in solutions that work out of the box, and going riding. I know as much as I do about Garmin's 660/665 because I've looked closely at them. If the hardware was current generation I'd overlook look the price. If the price was in line with other units selling with the same basic hardware I'd overlook the outdated functionality. But it's a dated design selling for 2007 prices, and even a gadget nut like myself balks at that.

For now I'll carry on with the iPhone in a LifeProof case, and I'll maybe experiment with a Garmin car unit in a weather proof case.

I have to go with Ramseysteve on this one. Im not going to pay for a dedicated MC GPS when I can get a decent quality weatherproof case and mount online for a Garmin automotive GPS. My wife and I both have Garmins in our vehicles, really like them. Super user friendly, relatively inexspensive for what your getting and the online updates and support are easy and effective. I'm kind of fussy as well, I like to have all my favourites on whatever GPS Im using at the moment so bouncing between units is not ideal. Weatherproof mount provides the flexibility to use in the truck or on the bike for a fraction of the cost.

There are several GPS apps for iPhone and I assume Android as well. I use MotionX GPS on my iPhone and am reasonably pleased with performance. I think it is less than $10, with turn by turn voice prompts an extra $10 per year. Maps can be downloaded so it will work where cell coverage is unavailable. There are plenty of waterproof mount options for IOS devices as well. Of course, I also carry maps that I print from Google maps as a backup.

I use google maps on the pc to make my personal maps under my account. I then use maps on my android phone to download the. I also precache big square ares on the map app. Then while riding, I only have gps function on the phone on with maps app running which shows my current location with my prrsonal map that has the line drawn. I just keep the blue triangle on my highlighted road. No data connection needed.

All this talk about iPhone Nav apps got me interested again in them!

I had MotionX on an iPhone a while ago, back when it was pretty much the only choice. Apple and Google maps then didn't incorporate Nav. I didn't think much of it, but it worked passably. To be fair, most of the problems were relegated to sluggish performance, none of which was MotionX's fault - more likely due to the older iPhone's slower processor and slower network speeds back then. Not being a fan of annual fees, I ignored MotionX this time around, trying NavFree and CoPilot Live. Both programs allow state by state map downloads. The free version of NavFree works fine but you keep getting a banner ad for Google Maps ($3 gets you the ad-free version, and in my limited test, the Nav prompts work passably well. The interface for entering destinations etc is good, but both the built in Google search function and using the phone's address book produced some funky results, so I'm not totally confident in its mapping. CoPilot Live OTOH has very limited NAV functionality in its "free" version, but the $10 upgrade gets you a much more sophisticated Nav platform. Looks very promising. Haven't fully tested it yet, so more to follow.

FOLLOW UP: NavFree has a nice interface, but the mapping to addresses needs work. Yesterday I picked a destination out of the Address Book, it navigated me to the right road but it mapped the street number incorrectly, told me I was at my destination when I had 1/4 mile to go. Today I tried another destination, and it couldn't resolve the address at all. So, conclusion is, NavFree has a great interface, is very cheap, but isn't ready for prime time yet. CoPilotLive is looking good, once you become accustomed to the less intuitive interface. It's all in there, but it's a little messy. As an example, there are 3 different prefs or settings screens. I understand how they differ, but every time I want to change say, the voice, I find myself searching through all 3 screens to find that setting. But, the map downloads (in the US) are free, the Navigation parameters are very customizable, you can program in what actual speeds you drive at on different road types, and you. And you can customize the route very easily. It recalculates routes almost instantaneously (unlike my Garmin), and if you pay $15 instead of $10 you get it on both your iPad as well as iPhone.

Last edited:
I've been using the Garmin Nuvi 500/550 for many years now. It works great for the car, motorcycle, boat, etc. It's not the latest/greatest, but does the MC job well. The pluses are that it's waterproof and the battery is easily removable, so you can carry a spare. Mine is loaded with topo maps (too much info, so pretty useless unless you are hiking), street maps, and inland lakes/waterways.

Greg

I've been using the Garmin Nuvi 500/550 for many years now. It works great for the car, motorcycle, boat, etc. It's not the latest/greatest, but does the MC job well. The pluses are that it's waterproof and the battery is easily removable, so you can carry a spare. Mine is loaded with topo maps (too much info, so pretty useless unless you are hiking), street maps, and inland lakes/waterways.

Greg

Given that it doesn't have bluetooth, are the voice prompts loud enough to hear?

Given that it doesn't have bluetooth, are the voice prompts loud enough to hear?

Sorry, maybe someone else can answer that for you. I never use the voice prompts on the motorcycle or in the car: mine is always muted.

Greg

Sorry, maybe someone else can answer that for you. I never use the voice prompts on the motorcycle or in the car: mine is always muted.

Greg

No worries! That at least solves the lack of Bluetooth issue. With my iPhone Nav apps my approach is pretty much the opposite - I listen to the prompts, hardly ever look at the screen.

Re my iPhone Nav app research: a few developments..

CoPilotLive: turns out this otherwise great app is let down by a less-than-perfect user interface, but is let down TOTALLY by the out of date downloadable maps. Maybe in your state they're ok, but in Utah they're hopelessly out of date. Not just minor errors either, but roads and streets that were built out over the last 10-15 years don't register building numbers that have existed for over 10 years. It's routing is also suspect, but having failed at the basic level of entering a destination, the fact that it comes up with weird routes is a secondary problem.

Re NavFree: the mapping problems with CoPilotLive have me revisiting NavFree, after I basically dismissed it for its problems resolving addresses. To be fair, addresses here in SLC are not easy for Nav software to deal with.. Most addresses are in the form of a map reference. So, some playing around with the addresses has resolved the issues, and has me using the software again. As a Nav app I still like CoPilot's feature set better, but it's actual performance rules it out, so for now Nav Free is my first choice.

Now I've added another app into the mix, GPS Nav 2 by Skobbler. Downloadable maps for very reasonable $$, excellent interface, but a few glitches (specifically using the iphone's contacts app to pull addresses fails, requires entering the addresses manually or using google search), and missing routing features that the developers say will be fixed in the next update. Not quite as intuitive as NavFree (but close), and availability of international maps is a big plus for anyone who travels overseas.

Back