• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Greetings from Illinois

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Hello all! I would have been on here a week earlier but I failed the spam blocker image test. I guess I couldn't read the thingy.

On 9/28/2012 I picked up my 2012 Honda NC700X DCT. I've had it ordered from my dealer since July 20th. I finally got my bike not from a dealer shipment, or warehouse transfer, but a Honda dealer in Wisconsin called my local dealer if they had a snowmobile in stock, and then they traded the bike!

I have a 2011 Honda PCX 125. I put over 6000 miles on it this summer. So this bike will replace it, and the PCX is going to the girlfriend. (who wants a new bike over her 50cc 2005 yamaha zuma scooter.)

I have huge plans for the bike, first up is wind protection. I can't decide on the calsci medium vs large shield. I'm 5'7 160 lbs. I have more height in my torso than legs. Tonight I'll try their yard stick method to help my gauge. The other issue I am dealing with is I have never ridden a motorcycle while looking through the shield. I'm not sure I would like the distortion effect, but I want max wind and noise protection and I want to keep warm, and go long distance riding in comfort. More research and reading for me!

Second up is lowering and seat comfort (100 mile ride my butt was hurting)

And now pictures!

8041412071_128fa1eab5_c.jpg

8041434506_1be77b6b81_c.jpg

8041466932_f8e06ff129_c.jpg

Small Review I wrote on a bike forum (I think, don't remember where exactly)

I just picked up my 2012 Honda NC700X DCT with ABS yesterday from the dealer. I have had it on order since July 20th. The demand for this bike is huge, or Honda USA is not supplying a great deal to the dealer networks. I took the 20 hou
r MSF course on a Suzuki TU 250, I had no problems clutching, until I began using this bike for commuting. Stop and go traffic with a clutch is not fun. Hence my interest in the NC when I found out about it. The Automatic is a Dual Clutch, what that means is no loss of power during the shifts. It has 6 gears just like the manual, and the shifting is audible, like the traditional clunk you hear on standard trans bikes.

I use the bike in Drive mode more than Sport mode. Just for cruising, and fuel economy. Sport mode holds the shifts higher leaving an instant power reserve for you, such as mountain switchbacks. The learning aspect of the DCT is fantastic, if your weaving in traffic, it will hold the gear for a few seconds, if you shut the throttle plate, it will not upshift if you are engine braking. Easily override the gear for a quick downshift before passing. Taking off from a stop with light throttle will slip the clutch until about 10 MPH, jam on it hard and you can lock it and take off with full power to the rear wheel ( you won't wheelie this 500lb bike).

Every bike from this day forward should have ABS, like Europe requires. ABS is such a needed technology on motorcycles. The second day I had my NC700X a ambulance was coming down the 2 lane road (45 mph) and the SUV that was in front of me didn't see it until it was right next to him, and decided to slam on his brakes, his tires locked up smoke and all. I was already slowing, but with this sudden stop in front of me I slammed on the front and rear brake. I could hear my bikes tires engaging the ABS, but never felt a pulsation in the hand and foot brake. There was some loose leaves and small gravel on the road. I will never own another bike without ABS!

The cons for this bike is not the engine or trans. It is the seats, chain drive, and passenger pegs. The seat for me is uncomfortable after a 100 mile ride, so I am looking for options. The chain drive is annoying to keep having to oil it every 500 miles, I suppose I just miss a belt drive. And for passenger pegs, they are mounted close to the exhaust, and I think click out of open position too easy.

What this bike shines in is commuting, and touring. The MPG of the bike is what got my attention, and the addition of a DCT Sold me on the bike. I have a small scooter A Honda PCX 125 that I use to get around town and pick up that gallon of milk. I loved the twist-and-go aspect of the CVT. Your brain can spend time on the scenery, traffic and road conditions, and other drivers instead of trying to figure out what gear you should/need to be in, and clutching for a smooth shift.

My other ride is a 2001 Acura Integra GS-R - highly modified - What that means is it is a manual transmission car, with a clutch. Just for some perspective, I do know what clutching is like.

Last edited:
Welcome from Texas! I noticed a signature (yours?) on the lower right of photos. Are you a photographer? See the calender thread in the general discussion forum, your input/help could help to make this great!

Yes I am, part time. I work full time as a home health therapy coordinator. That is my usual watermark to help protect/spot my images on the web. I'll read up on your Calender thread tonight. I would be happy to join in on the project. I worry about any further requests from me as the weather in Chicago is turning. I'm hoping to get some fantastic fall color shots, but rain keeps holding me back.

BTW I no longer see my original post ->?

Yes I am, part time. I work full time as a home health therapy coordinator. That is my usual watermark to help protect/spot my images on the web. I'll read up on your Calender thread tonight. I would be happy to join in on the project. I worry about any further requests from me as the weather in Chicago is turning. I'm hoping to get some fantastic fall color shots, but rain keeps holding me back.

BTW I no longer see my original post ->?

I can't see it either.

I cannot see it either. At any rate, welcome again and thanks for your reply and interest in helping with the calender project. I think it is a really cool project for the members here!

Back