• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hallooooo from Phoenix, Arizona, USA.

AdrianGrey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hallooooo from Phoenix, Arizona, USA. Also: Insurance Issues.

Hi everyone!

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now, but today is the day I join. Why? Because I just pulled the trigger on my brand-freakin'-new 2014 Honda NC700X DCT ABS. This is far from my first bike, but it is my first new bike, and my first automatic.

My past bikes:
2005 Tank Urban Sporty 150 (Chinese scooter... lawl)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
2003 Yamaha V-Star Classic (650cc)
2004 Suzuki Boulevard C50T (800cc)
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (new body style, first one was old style)
2005 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (800cc)

I am a full time line cook, and also a full time forensic science student, and I do not own a cage. My bike is how I get everywhere.
I enjoy music, camping, travel, cooking, reading, and working on bikes (the Chinese scoot kinda forced me into this...) and old cars (a 1967 VW Beetle forced me into this one... lol).
I also happen to be gay, but no one cares about that, right?

I look forward to sharing my future adventures with you all, and gathering some farkling knowledge... Gonna be needing one of those nifty bash plates soon I think, and some new tires.
Pictures of my new baby soon. She is still being put together. I get to ride the bike home next Tuesday (2/18/2014)!

Last edited:
First interesting issue. Insurance quotes.

Tried two different insurance giants, Progressive (my current insurer), and Geico. Progressive gave me an insane quote of $2600/year. Geico gave me an acceptable $448/year. Neither of them recognized my 2014 Honda Nc700x VIN, which I am 100% certain is correct. Called Progressive, their response was "You can purchase the policy, and submit information later, and we will fix it later", to which I said "the **** I will...". Called Geico, the Geico guy said if the quote was $448/year, then $448/year it will be. Purchased Geico policy, which is currently under review. Will update once I know more.

Insurance update:

"Dear Adrian:

Thank you for using GEICO's online services.

We documented that you have verified that the VIN on the 2014 Honda is correct.

We also received your request to update the lien holder on your 2014 Honda. Your request requires additional processing and may take up to 72 hours to complete. You will receive a confirmation email once it has been completed. We appreciate your patience. If you have any additional questions please reply to this email.

We appreciate your business and look forward to serving your insurance need
David Grimes
GEICO Powersports Internet Counselor"

First interesting issue. Insurance quotes.

Tried two different insurance giants, Progressive (my current insurer), and Geico. Progressive gave me an insane quote of $2600/year. Geico gave me an acceptable $448/year. Neither of them recognized my 2014 Honda Nc700x VIN, which I am 100% certain is correct. Called Progressive, their response was "You can purchase the policy, and submit information later, and we will fix it later", to which I said "the **** I will...". Called Geico, the Geico guy said if the quote was $448/year, then $448/year it will be. Purchased Geico policy, which is currently under review. Will update once I know more.

0.jpgHowdy from Texas!

Every state has different insurance rates and rules. If your bike is financed, you will have to carry full coverage insurance. The GEICO rate does seem like a deal. Most insurance companies will put you policy on monthly billing.

A forensic science degree takes a while to complete, but it sure is interesting. I helped my daughter document the decaying chicken project last year in her forensic science class.

smileytexan.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike. $2600 a year? That is insane. My house, two jeeps, and bike don't come to that in a year. Ridiculous.

Welcome from a fellow Arizonian.

Progressive gave me a ridiculous quote also, like $1600, but when I added it to my policy it was only $600 for full coverage. Go figure. If you would like I can forward you to an insurance agent in the area that specializes in bikes and sponsors a lot of the local bike events. He was very competitive but I haven't switched to him yet.

I went with Progressive and min. coverage. For a 50-year old guy like me, it's $150 a year.

Now that is more like it. I think mine is $340yr full coverage with Progressive. I use USAA but they dont cover motorcycles and partner with Progressive.

Thanks for the warm welcome all. The new bike is black. It was available in black, or red. I figured I would probably be the first with a DCT 2014, as none of the dealers in my area actually had one. GoAZ, the dealer I went with, had a 2014 manual, which they let me test ride, and they had a 2014 CTX700 DCT, which they also let me test ride, so I could try out the transmission. Liked the nc700x, and liked the DCT on the CTX, so I bought it, sight unseen.

I got two different quotes from progressive, the first was changing my current policy (which has full coverage on a 2005), and it came out with $2668/year. I then ran a quote as a new customer and got $1565/year. Both times it would change the bike to a 2014 Honda VT750C2F, which is a Shadow, but does not actually exist as a 2014 model. Both of these prices are more than I have ever paid, even on full coverage *auto* insurance.

So I decided to get a quote from Geico, who also does not recognise the VIN, but let me select the make and model from a list. $448/year is what it spit out, which is only about $100 more than I pay for my current bike's full coverage with progressive. I am a 30 year old with a clean record, and this bike is worth 3x what my Suzuki is worth, so this price seemed fair to me.

Still waiting for final approval from Geico though, so we will see.

Thanks for the warm welcome all. The new bike is black. It was available in black, or red. I figured I would probably be the first with a DCT 2014, as none of the dealers in my area actually had one. GoAZ, the dealer I went with, had a 2014 manual, which they let me test ride, and they had a 2014 CTX700 DCT, which they also let me test ride, so I could try out the transmission. Liked the nc700x, and liked the DCT on the CTX, so I bought it, sight unseen.

I got two different quotes from progressive, the first was changing my current policy (which has full coverage on a 2005), and it came out with $2668/year. I then ran a quote as a new customer and got $1565/year. Both times it would change the bike to a 2014 Honda VT750C2F, which is a Shadow, but does not actually exist as a 2014 model. Both of these prices are more than I have ever paid, even on full coverage *auto* insurance.

So I decided to get a quote from Geico, who also does not recognise the VIN, but let me select the make and model from a list. $448/year is what it spit out, which is only about $100 more than I pay for my current bike's full coverage with progressive. I am a 30 year old with a clean record, and this bike is worth 3x what my Suzuki is worth, so this price seemed fair to me.

Still waiting for final approval from Geico though, so we will see.

4.jpgHaving been an insurance agent for many years, it is not uncommon for a new year bike vin number to not be recognized by an insurance company rating program. I wrote a lot of motorcycle policies before a retired, an quite often I had to call the company's actuarial to explain the bike. It takes two years of records on a bike to get the state of Texas to give a bike it's proper symbol from actual records. If a company's rating program can not figure out the proper symbol, it is programed to put the highest rate symbol on the quote. Insurance companies for the most part just will not take a chance.

smileymelting.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from Oregon. Don't think I'll be moving to Arizona any time soon with those insurance rates! I have full coverage with State Farm and pay $217 a year.

Finally have proof of insurance! Geico came through at a very reasonable rate, and my paperwork is now in order. I was very worried that this was going to be something I end up scrambling to fix at the dealership to get the finance paperwork turned in. Glad it is done, and that I did not have to pay $2600/year and wait for it to get fixed later by Progressive. I have been a Progressive customer for over 10 years now, and this is an excellent example of how to lose customers.

Back