• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hello from an Undecided Buyer in Seattle

Naked_Duc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I am an undecided buyer of the NC700X from Seattle. After reading up on all the threads on this board for the past month, I decided to finally join so I can reply and post more question for you. The NC700X is a very intriguing motorcycle and I think it would be an excellent commuter and touring bike for me. However, for now, I am still undecided. :(

A bit about myself - I had a scooter and little pit bike when I was a kid so I was comfortable on a motor bike. Came back to riding in my early 30s when I found the passion again and got on a Ducati Monster 620. Since then, I've traded the 620 for a Monster S2R1000. Also went thru a couple different bikes as commuter bikes. A year ago, I traded in a Triumph Bonneville for a CBR250R for commuting. With a little mod, I was able to get 80+ MPG shuttling back and forth from work. Awesome little bike.

However, just a few weeks ago, the CBR250R, while parked at work, was ran over by a careless driver. The CBR was totaled. That leads me to where I am today, looking for a commuter/touring bike to compliment my Ducati. Hopefully I would find the right bike in the NC700X and the right home in this forum.

Tony

Last edited:
Welcome,
The long dry fall, may be coming to an end here in the Pacific North West.
With your motorcycle owner history, the NC700 would more than likely fit right in. I have as yet to see mpg's close to what you are getting on the CBR250, without trying it seems to deliver 60 to 68 mpg, but it has performance more akin to the Ducati 620, the riding position is upright and relaxed like the standard machine that it is, with a bit of dual sport feel, with the wide bars. It feels nice and light with the weight down low. In town performance could not be better. I absolutely love the storage in the fake gas tank area. It seems to be reasonable to keep looking nice. Wheels are easy to clean, and the rest of the plastic cleans nicely. I am along way from doing valve checks, but here also, I think the home mechanic can manage. So with that said, I would add that I am looking forward to some trips with the next season. I am getting to the time in life when camping is not something I enjoy much, so I can see me doing some traveling with the center storage packed and not much else, but have checked out the Honda panniers, and the Givi systems also.

Good luck with your decision on the motorcycle.

Art.

Thanks, Art, for the feedback on the NCX. With the HP craze that's being going on since the 70s, it's refreshing to see Honda building a fuel efficient motorcycle with a lot of utility. 49HP really is adequate to get you from point A to point B while still have a lot of performance to boot. Even the CBR250 was a load of fun, carving thru the twisties from Fall City to Snoqualmie Fall.

As of now, I am still debating whether to get another CBR250 or upgrade to the NCX.

Tony

Its nice to have you here. What mod did you perform on the CBR250R to achieve that kind of mileage? Also what are your thoughts on the Bonnie as a commuter?

I left the CBR250 stock except for the front sprocket. I went 1 tooth larger in the front. Reason being that, the 250 is a global bike for Honda and is intended as an "up scale" sporty bike in developing countries where it's being us as an urban transport. Since it will hardly ever be taken on the highway, the gearing is really close and low. I added 1 tooth in the front sprocket to spread out the gearing a bit.

Before the sprocket mod, I average in the mid 70s. Afterwards, I average low 80s.

The Bonnie is a great city bike. Great pick up and good mobility around town. It's more nimble than it's weight indicates once you start moving. But it still can stand to loss some weight (well, a lot of weight). At highway speed though, the engine is really buzzy (5-speed tranny) and the suspension is sub par. I added a Dart screen and that made a big difference, as far as wind buff is concerned. Also, I barely got 50mpg with the bonnie. Little disappointing.

Overall, I think Triumph did a really good job of retaining the same look and feel of the original Bonneville. Although he engine is great, I thought they could have modernized the rest of the bike - suspension, lighter weight component, etc. Imagine if the Bonnie can lose 100lbs and get down to the Guzzi V7 range, add some decent forks and rear shocks, you'd be looking at a full blown café racer out of the box, like a Norton Commando.

Last edited:
Also want to add that, with the dart screen and the Thruxton seat, my bonnie (T-100) had a pretty sweet café look. People thought it was a 60s or 70s rebuilt. Little did they know, it's a 2001.

That is disappointing about the bonnie. I hate the fact that we are limited to only a few "Standard" bikes. Kawasaki makes a W800 in the EU that looks awesome.

jakeisbill

I see that you are looking at the Bonneville or NC700X. Funny I have narrowed my search to the same two.I currently have a Ninja 250 which has been a great bike, but I need a little more power for 2 up ridding and longer distances.I feel the Bonneville is the epitome of the classic standard motorcycle.Time will tell, but the NC700X looks to be the standard bike for the new millennium.I am leaning towards the NC700X as i think it will suit my needs for 2up and light touring better.I still think that the Bonneville is the best looking bike made today.

jakeisbill

I see that you are looking at the Bonneville or NC700X. Funny I have narrowed my search to the same two.I currently have a Ninja 250 which has been a great bike, but I need a little more power for 2 up ridding and longer distances.I feel the Bonneville is the epitome of the classic standard motorcycle.Time will tell, but the NC700X looks to be the standard bike for the new millennium.I am leaning towards the NC700X as i think it will suit my needs for 2up and light touring better.I still think that the Bonneville is the best looking bike made today.

I agree completely. I love the styling and Power from the Brit, but the fuel economy, Storage, amenaties and price are unbeatable with the NC.

Also, the pickins are slim for a budget bike if you don't want either a cruiser (ie Shadow, Sportster) or sport bike (ie Ninja 250, or CBR250R). The NC starts at $7k, the Bonneville starts "BASE" with no amenities at $8,500 and goes up. Thank god for the NC, else I would be forced to consider a Large Scooter (ie Burgman, Silver Wing, Piaggio BV350)

Check around on pricing for the NC700X.I have found varring prices from $7900 to $7100 OTD on the manual.In some markets its hot. others not and the dealers are worried that they my get stuck with them.

I notice that nobody has mentioned the Kawasaki W800. I had the W650 which was a very good bike. When I first got it I went to Box Hill a famous bike meet just outside London. I was approached by huge biker whos jacket was covered in Triumph owners badges. He walked around the Kawasaki twice without saying a word . He the snorted and said to nobody in particular " Looks more like a Bonnie than the new Bonnie does". With that he just walked off. To my mind anyone considering a Bonnie should consider a W800.
I still run a web site and Yahoo group for the W650 & 800. Out of coutousey to dennis I will not put the links on here but if anyone is interested please PM me.
I hope that this is OK with Dennis and doesn't break forum rules. If it does please remove it

Unfortunately Kawasaki pulled the W800 a number of years ago here in the US. I personally like the W650/800. I believe Motorcycle News declared that the W800 out Bonneville'ed the Triumph Bonneville. It's that good. Another option would be the Moto Guzzi V7. It has the style but it's under-powered. Dealer network here in the US might be an issue for some.

I hope that, with the fuel prices, there will be a revival of the true "middle weight" motorcycle. There is a rumor that Honda might have yet another gem for the US market - CB400.

860cc upgrade in 2008 and EFI in 2009, I think. 5 speed tranny had me constantly searching for 6th gear on the freeway, though. *toe up... NOTHING THERE... Doh! :)

Some might thought it's tacky, but I LOVE how Triumph made the EFI look exactly like carbs. Nice touch.

Last edited:
As far as good mileage bikes go, I really can't say much about the NC as I'm still on my first tank... My old GS500 is a good starter MC and you'll find lots of them on Craigslist for great prices. I was getting 54-60 mpg with it here in the Albuquerque area. The GS500 is a standard with more weight than I liked, top heavy when full of gas. 210 miles between fill ups. I love the NC for its low center of gravity, it is a blast to ride so far. Tomorrow, I'm heading for the Jemez, up toward Los Alamos. Lots of curves and fun on the way.

As far as good mileage bikes go, I really can't say much about the NC as I'm still on my first tank... My old GS500 is a good starter MC and you'll find lots of them on Craigslist for great
prices. I was getting 54-60 mpg with it here in the Albuquerque area. The GS500 is a standard with more weight than I liked, top heavy when full of gas. 210 miles between fill ups. I love the NC for its low center of gravity, it is a blast to ride so far. Tomorrow, I'm heading for the Jemez, up toward Los Alamos. Lots of curves and fun on the way.
Thats awesome bro

Back