• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hello from Seattle - love the NC700X but don't own one yet

AP1

Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to join this forum even though I don't own an NC700X.

I was drawn to the NC from the first time I saw one online -- that kind of magnetic pull that's hard to ignore. Since then, I've read every review I could find, watched all the videos I could find (no matter what language) and keep looking for more every few days.

I love well-designed products. I love when they really meet the needs of their target customer and their target purpose. I'm convinced the NC700X does that -- no matter how many negative blog posts and comments I've read about it. It seems the people who have actually ridden one, and most of the posts I've read in this forum agree -- the NC700X is an excellent motorcycle for what it's designed for.

My approach to the NC is based on my experience with one motorcycle in my adult life, a 1991 Honda XR250L. I bought it new and ride it to this day. It's completely stock. When I first got it, I rode it a bit on the streets but more on forest roads to head up in the mountains and such. In it's "middle age", I rode a few poker runs in the summers. In it's "older age" (now), I use it mostly for commuting to work in the summer. For reference, I get 60-70 MPG (US).

Test ride fun!
I test rode an NC700X DCT about a month ago and it was one of the funnest days of my life! The short version is that I loved riding the NC. When I returned after about 20 minutes, I had a grin from ear-to-ear. When the salesman asked how I liked it, I went on and on about many aspect of the bike. In D mode, the NC does shift unusually early (even from what I'm used to -- shifting pretty early on my XR). The bike has plenty of power for me throughout the entire RPM range. At first I thought the DCT was "not for me," but after I used all three modes (D, S and Manual), I really enjoyed it. Low center of gravity. Handles well. Good brakes. Decent looks. Good prices. Great mileage.

So, do I have really low expectations compared to "seasoned" riders who think the NC is a toy? Do those other people just "not get" the NC? I even had one salesman who tried to steer me to a Triumph Tiger 800 instead of the NC and who said the NC isn't any fun and just isn't that great of a bike.

Well, enough sharing.

Thanks for letting me be part of your "club" even if an NC may be months or, gulp, years away. It's difficult to justify buying a motorcycle when I have a remodel to finish and other "important" things to consider first.

Welcome,
You are right about the NC being very good. I'm thinking mine will live in the garage longer than a lot of the macines I have had in the past. I keep finding things on the machine that I really like. I do most of my maintanence and the NC seems very easy to access and work on.

Art

Welcome aboard mate, The NC is just on heck of a good bike. You see that there are a lot of experienced riders here, who have traded in some impressive machinery for the NC. It takes a certain type of person to get what the NC is all about. I came from a 145 HP sport bike that would leave even the most powerful cars made in its wake, but I found a new love in a 50ish horse power parallel twin. Just don't listen to those that don't understand, this is an awesome bike.

Really enjoying the heck out of my new NC700X. I've had it almost two weeks. Felt comfortable on it right away, and I'm a new rider. Finding all kinds of uses for the storage area.

You won't be sorry. I've had mine for a couple of weeks and she just gets funner and funner. Zips up to speed, snick, snick, snick. So easy to use that it is my "go to" transportation for everything now. The NC700X's low COG is a big plus. I hardly ever put down my foot anymore. I just drift at a single mph in neutral until the light changes and zip away. All the bikes I considered had high gas storage and felt unstable to me and my inseam challenged footing. I plan on keeping this one for a long time.

Hi and welcome. I have had my nc for a few weeks and put 500 miles and it and love it !
This year I have sold my 2011 r1 2006 fz1 and 2008 goldwing, this bike is just plain fun to ride.

emphasis

Sell the car!!! (just kidding)

Hello AP1, welcome to the 700 club. The fact that you have test-ridden a NC means that... you're now so much closer to handing over the greenback$! Its a fun machine to ride, the newbies and seasoned types all agree. Thanks for sharing your experience thus far. Take your time making your decision, mike5100, myself, gkgeiger, SilveePelican, wozza (I think) and others have the DCT. Maybe I should have fellow DCT-ers join the DCT-ABSolutely group, that way others like yourself who are interested in that edition can find the owners easier... Anyhoo, please feel free to check in often and reach out to the 700 family members. Glad to have you along for the ride. :eek:

Last edited:
You see that there are a lot of experienced riders here, who have traded in some impressive machinery for the NC. It takes a certain type of person to get what the NC is all about.
I have noticed that on this forum. It says a lot and gives me confidence to know that some experienced riders are switching to the NC and really enjoying it. That's so much more meaningful than comments from others who haven't even test ridden one. Thanks for the insight!

You won't be sorry. I've had mine for a couple of weeks and she just gets funner and funner. Zips up to speed, snick, snick, snick. So easy to use that it is my "go to" transportation for everything now. The NC700X's low COG is a big plus. I hardly ever put down my foot anymore. I just drift at a single mph in neutral until the light changes and zip away.
Thanks for the insight, and congratulations getting an NC!

Sell the car!!! (just kidding)
Very funny TechiPilot. You made me smile.

Speaking of the DCT, it really was funny how my thoughts and perceptions about it changed over time. At first, I completely discounted it -- not for me. No clutch lever? No shifter? That's just weird. Then I rode the bike and my perceptions changed.

1. So much easier to ride in stop-and-go traffic or through town with lots of lights or stop signs. You just ride. You don't have to deal with shifting. Not that shifting is difficult, but it was actually kind of nice to just "go."

2. The NC can have three different personalities with D, S and Manual. I LOVED that during my test ride. Use D to to shift super early and maximize gas mileage. Use S to shift a little later, have the bike be a little more responsive and feel like it's shifting at a more "normal" RPM. Use Manual to feel in control and enjoy electronic shifting -- using just your finger and thumb! I also loved that I could use the shifters in D or S mode to downshift when I wanted a touch more power and responsiveness. Very COOL.

3. I can't believe I'm leaning toward an AUTOMATIC motorcycle. That's just weird.

Thanks again!

I have noticed that on this forum. It says a lot and gives me confidence to know that some experienced riders are switching to the NC and really enjoying it. That's so much more meaningful than comments from others who haven't even test ridden one. Thanks for the insight!

Welcome almost neighbour, AP1 :D

I registered on this Forum long before I bought my NCX too. It's fate...:p

This is my 21st motorcycle, and I have been riding for over 43 years. Traded in my low mileage 2009 BMW F800ST for this fine machine, and I could not be happier with my decision.

This is my 21st motorcycle, and I have been riding for over 43 years. Traded in my low mileage 2009 BMW F800ST for this fine machine, and I could not be happier with my decision.
21 motorcycles and 43 years -- wow, that's experience. Funny how you traded in an F800ST; that was my "dream" bike 2-3 years ago. Time passed and I now I'm looking at the NC700X. Go figure.

Don't mistake old for experienced.
HOwever, many of folks here are experienced AND old....
Everyone gets old, so don't flame me for saying 'old'.....I am not getting any younger. No one is.

That is WHY, just do it.
:p

Thank you! I love that this forum includes great folks outside the USA. By the way Rocker66, I work in a town called Kent in Washington state.

Hi my Kent is actually the county which in the UK is more like your states although of course much smaller :) The town I live in is Ashford which I believe is a name that also exists over there. I guess it all goes back to the pre tea party days when you were just a colony. Of course you then had the sense to get rid of the out dated royalist system and became a republic something we should have done years ago

Back